Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Aches And Pains Before A Thunderstorm?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Hi all,

I thought this would be an interesting discussion.

Many people have said they can tell a change in the weather because their joints or muscles start to ache.

This is likely due to a change in the barometric pressure, which often happens before a thunderstorm or in advance of a cold front. Damp weather is often associated with a low pressure system. A decrease in the air pressure decreases the tension in some large blood vessels, meaning they tend to expand. When this happens, it tends to lead to increased discomfort in joints and muscles.

A rise in barometric pressure can be associated with different kinds of weather, but often it occurs a day or two before a big storm.

Some medical evidence supports the idea that atmospheric pressure could cause all types of aches and pains.

When the pressure drops, usually before rain

or a storm, it triggers headache pain for many people.

There is no scientific proof, but the

theory is that the changes in atmospheric pressure

may affect the receptors in the brain that regulate

blood pressure. When the barometric pressure drops,

it may cause the blood vessels in your head to dilate

and this causes the headache pain.

Many believe that the electrical charge of the air may also have something to do with your headaches

The relationship between weather and health is in the sheer number of possible atmospheric conditions -- including barometric pressure, temperature, humidity, precipitation, and so on -- and in the possible symptoms. There's also a great deal of difference in how people say they feel the weather relates to their pain. Some say the pain precedes a weather change, others say that they coincide, and still others say that it follows them. The variety of combinations may be one of the reasons that researchers keep returning to the subject.

Old weather lore states:

A coming storm your shooting corns presage,

And aches will throb, your hollow tooth will rage.â€

“If your corns all ache and itch,

The weather fair will make a switch.â€

Coming storms cause shooting corns

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Ive noticed a headache sometimes precedes a storm but not all the time. However it seems to occur mostly on very warm, humid days and usually storms wont come till late in the day so the headache may be partially down to not drinking enough throughout the day or doing a little too much given the current conditions. However i do tend to see a headache as a possible sign to a thunderstorm looming.

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

I tend to get headaches on potentially thundery days; it's actually one of the reasons that I'm not a fan of thundery weather. Probably as a result of the headaches, I also seem to feel tense and short-tempered on such days. No other weather, even stuff I hate such as 2007-style downpours, brings on such unpleasant feelings.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I also get headaches during thundery weather. But as, more often than not, no storms ever materialize, I put the pain down to increased heat and humidity...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

My mum complains a lot that she gets a load of headaches just before thunderstorms or if there is a change in the atmospheric pressure as well.

During thunder periods she always says the air feels heavy and makes her feel tired and feel low down and with headaches.

I get the odd headache every now and then, like the other day i got a headache just before the thunderstorms hit but didn't really notice it because I was getting excited, though sometimes I think I can give my mum headache when storms are on the way too because thats all I go on about haha :p

Posted

I got a headache looking at the forum postings about the bad weather that did not occur. Even though it was much forecast and hoped for. As we did not really have much of a thunderstorm I can't see it was the cause.

Probably more to do with staring at a computer monitor and enjoying the micro waves (or whatever) it emits.

H

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I most of the time (not always) get a weird headache, it's sort of like a buzzing pressure headache just before and during a thunderstorm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

I got a headache looking at the forum postings about the bad weather that did not occur. Even though it was much forecast and hoped for. As we did not really have much of a thunderstorm I can't see it was the cause.

Probably more to do with staring at a computer monitor and enjoying the micro waves (or whatever) it emits.

H

Yep, didn't happen here either.It wasen't the forecasters faults. If I'm right the Cold front was delayed along with the cap breaking which was why we never encountered any storms! These things can happen and Mother nature will do what she wants to do :) The South East did get their storms the day after, some cracking ones too.

Hopefully my turn next lol