Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather in the general media (Newspaper features etc)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

The trouble is the general public believe it. I'm always getting people come up to me asking if the newspaper headline of big freezes or whatever are true. There was one the other week and I answered that it looked like we were in for a cold snap but certainly no big freeze. It was cold here and we had a random snowfall but that was it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Wouldn't a winter even colder than 62-63 be the coldest for far-longer than 100yrs?

It's hard to believe we could experience a winter which would surpass 47 & 62/63 especially in these modern times.... I sharn't be buying a set of winter tyres or snow boots just yet, despite what Mr Madden preaches from his cows backside like gob....

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

It's hard to believe we could experience a winter which would surpass 47 & 62/63 especially in these modern times.... I sharn't be buying a set of winter tyres or snow boots just yet, despite what Mr Madden preaches....

It's truly 'Maddening'!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Back into the freezer on the 15 of November as the winds swings the the north ,then swings to the Ne direction , The forecast comes from a swearword on this site but the last 2weeks he"s been spot on a month ahead.Posted Image

Not quite spot on this time Keith.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

The Express are reporting the coldest winter for 100 years is on the way. Funny, I don't recall 1912 being an extremely cold winter?

http://www.express.c...00-years-on-way

The 3 coldest British winters in recorded history are 1683/84, 1739/40 and 1962/33, so not sure where they are getting coldest for 100 years from?

Just spotted people saying similar on the page before!

Edited by BlueSkies_do_I_see

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall in particular but most aspects of weather, hate hot and humid.

Crikey so James Madden over at Exactaweather reckons this winter is going to colder than 1947 and 1963 does he.

I'd really like to see the long list of qualifications that enables him to make this forecast and have it printed on the front of a national newspaper,

it must be very impressive otherwise surely the jounalist that wrote the piece would never have taken him seriously.

What do you mean the journalist didn't check out his credentials before posting the story.............................................. I can't believe it.

• Like 1

Posted

It's hard to believe we could experience a winter which would surpass 47 & 62/63 especially in these modern times.... I sharn't be buying a set of winter tyres or snow boots just yet, despite what Mr Madden preaches from his cows backside like gob....

These modern times produced the coldest month for a 100 years in 2010, I don't buy this we can't get a winter like 47 or 63, why not, as it was only a few years ago that people were saying we couldn't get a December 2010. Off course the source of such headlines is a complete joke, that I do agree with.
  • Like 1

Posted

Had an interesting discussion with a knowledgeable weather elder this morning whilst at Tesco's and we reviewed the papers headline.

He commented on the sensationalist approach aformentioned paper adopts when airing weather subjects, to which I commented "Yes I agree and they do it to sell papers rather than inform"

To which he picked up his copy, agreed with me, and walked off towards the tills.

At least he knew better as he understood the models really well, as he explained during our short lived conversation.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

These modern times produced the coldest month for a 100 years in 2010, I don't buy this we can't get a winter like 47 or 63, why not, as it was only a few years ago that people were saying we couldn't get a December 2010. Off course the source of such headlines is a complete joke, that I do agree with.

Well perhaps we won't see anything comparable again for another 100 years? By which time i'll have been turned to dust long before Posted Image

Who knows, nothing is impossible when alls said and done, now if we all lived in Lapland then the 47/62/63 type winters would be a fairly common.... We can dream

Edited by Liam J

Posted

A few years ago some people were saying that we couldn't get another 1995/96 type winter let alone a December 2010! I'm not expecting a 47 or 63 winter this year but I do see your point.

Posted

Crikey so James Madden over at Exactaweather reckons this winter is going to colder than 1947 and 1963 does he.

I'd really like to see the long list of qualifications that enables him to make this forecast and have it printed on the front of a national newspaper,

it must be very impressive otherwise surely the jounalist that wrote the piece would never have taken him seriously.

What do you mean the journalist didn't check out his credentials before posting the story.............................................. I can't believe it.

I imagine he did and i also imagine he didnt care. the story is meant to sell papers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Heat thundersnow heatwaves and freezing fog

It also says in The Daily Star today that its gna snow for 3 months http://www.dailystar.co.uk/posts/view/282923/Snow-predicted-for-3-months/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Heat thundersnow heatwaves and freezing fog

Scientist say, they then tell us it's Madden.Posted Image

i no lol i half believed it till i saw his name lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

Exacta Weather’s report stated: “Large parts of the upcoming winter will be very cold and exceptionally snowy. The forecasting parameters also suggest a potentially high-risk scenario for some of the coldest and snowiest conditions in at least a century.

So he is saying that this winter is going to beat 47 and 63???

I would love to take some of what he is taking!! I love my snow and like a ramp but this forecast is beyond the realms of fantasy!! Pmsl.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

Exacta Weather’s report stated: “Large parts of the upcoming winter will be very cold and exceptionally snowy. The forecasting parameters also suggest a potentially high-risk scenario for some of the coldest and snowiest conditions in at least a century.

I would love to take some of what he is taking!! I love my snow and like a ramp but this forecast is beyond the realms of fantasy!! Pmsl.

I think he's been looking at the CFS 9 monthly which has been consistently making January/February constantly cold...

You know it's got this year pretty well, can't say it might not happen at this stage.

Posted

There's so much wrong with The Express story that it's difficult to know where to start! Aside from the clearly sensationalist main headline (I suppose coldest in 50 years, which is far more feasible if impossible to forecast at this range, would be less eye-catching). However, If I were to pick on one point which really highlights the selective reporting on offer it would be the 22 degree temperature swing. They're comparing the coldest recorded temperature in the UK with the highest recorded and implying that it is for a single location. If you did the same in the US you'd probably have a 60 degree 'range' for the same date. For anyone interested in the study of journalism, it's a perfect example of pitching figures to meet your requirements; something that all media are guilty of doing, but which papers like The Express and Mail really excel at. They're not actually lying, but failing to qualify the figures. And yet, to be slightly controversial, some people will rightly poo poo these figures, but happily quote reports on economics or even other more controversial topics. I trust The Daily Star more than The Express; at least the Star makes no prentice at being a quality paper...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

That page hasn't been updated since 2009!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

WeatherOnlines monthly outlook

Valid from 17/11 to 17/12 2012

Cold at Christmas?

Issued: Saturday 17th November 2012

Duty forecaster: Simon Keeling & Captain Bob

Are the reports of a 'Siberian Tiger' being sighted well founded and is it about to pounce?

November has for the most part so far not seen any major incursion of cold polar or continentally sourced air, that was hinted at through the last pattern update, that forecast also muted the 'idea' of something colder arriving late in November. There are reports circulating from some quarters of extreme cold arriving soon

A belief still exists that substantially colder air compared to the current conditions will flood into the UK during late November or into early December and set us up for perhaps a colder shot during the early winter period before it turns less cold mid- month. The idea of a 'green' Christmas still holds, that is once we've scraped the early frost off it. High pressure looks as if it'll be the dominant feature in the pattern for much of early December, its exact position determining the characteristics week by week.

A less cold and more unsettled spell looks likely mid-December, turning colder and settled later in the month, high pressure flexing its muscles once more through Christmas and the festive period.

*............29/11/12*

It remains unsettled through this period with spells of rain for all areas, windy at times too with low pressure in control of the pattern.

It'll be generally on the 'mild side' comparatively speaking to what we've recently experienced and to that which may be in store for us further down the line. Temperatures will be fluctuating as systems pass through and over the UK, any breaks overnight may lead to localised frost and mistiness but these should not be extensive, some wet and windy weather can be expected.

As the forecast period closes any remaining showery rain outbreaks in the south and east should die away as it turns colder and brighter from the north or northeast, some wintry showers appearing over northern high ground, overnight frosts becoming more widespread.

*30/11/12 ......13/12/12*

High pressure takes control of the pattern and is likely to be the dominant feature for quite some time, it'll also bring about a noticeable change in air mass, recently we have been influenced by North Atlantic sourced air, this is likely to become more 'continental' in nature, so definitely having an 'edge' to it!

For much of the time high pressure is anticipated to be centred either to the north or perhaps northeast the flow emanating from the east or southeast, occasionally the northeast. Precipitation primarily showery in nature, perhaps ganging together into lengthier outbreaks at times, turning wintry as the period progresses, any breaks in the cloud sheet likely to lead to frost and freezing fog overnight, chilly but bright and sunny where this lifts, rather cold where it persists through the day.

*14/12/12......23/12/12*

Milder Atlantic air moves into the northwest of the UK and spreads rain and perhaps for a time some wintriness through all areas as a lees cold regime establishes.

Becoming wet and windy for time during this period, low pressure taking control of the pattern, the high pressure block being removed and the end of the period it turns colder once more as a rather complex scenario shifts eastwards, pressure recovering to the west of the UK.

Rain clears away to the east, brighter and showers move in from the north and northwest, wintry showers returning to northern high ground, then further wet and windy weather approaching from the west. Turning colder and brighter across northern Britain as high pressure builds and extends south and east, southern areas also becoming drier generally.

*24/12/12.....31/12/12*

Colder air looks likely to seep southwards through the Christmas period, frost and overnight fog perhaps a problem, a strengthening northerly hinting at an increased risk of wintry showers spreading south through all areas.

Simon & Capn Bob

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-app/reports?LANG=en&MENU=monthahead&DAY=20121117

Posted

http://metofficenews...ther-headlines/

Responding to more ‘winter weather’ headlines

We wrote only last weekthat it seems that it is the time of year again for colourful headlines about an impending big freeze.

We had them at this time last year, which prompted our Chief Executive to write an opinion piece in The Times. Now we have very similar stories again, with the front page of the Daily Express declaring last week ‘Coldest winter freeze on way’and warning that temperatures are set to plunge as low as -15C and again a week on we have another front page from the Daily Express which declares ‘Coldest winter for 100 years on way‘. with the UK expected to grind to a halt within weeks.

These longer range forecasts for December and January have not come from the Met Office and a look at our current 30 day forecastprovides perhaps a more measured assessment of our weather prospects to the middle of December:

As is usual, there are uncertainties in the forecast for this period. Whilst changeable conditions are considered more likely initially, some signs are beginning to emerge for more settled conditions to develop over parts of Europe. The signal is that these conditions may extend towards the UK during the first part of December. So, although there are no strong indications of any particular weather type predominating, on balance, colder and drier-than-average conditions are favoured over the recent mild and damp weather many areas have experienced.

What is clear from the forecast is that although there are some signs that after a rather unsettled period, the weather may become colder and drier than we have seen recently there is still a lot of uncertainty in the forecast which again the article has failed to pick up on and report to its readers.

The science does not exist to make detailed forecasts for temperature and snowfall for the end of this month, let alone for December or even the winter as a whole with these types of forecasts only able to provide an indication of how our weather might change, or be different from normal, (i.e. warmer, colder, wetter, drier) across the whole UK or even Europe

Ultimately, we’re heading into winter and it is perfectly possible that we will see the whole range of weather that we get in winter at some point over the coming months, including snow and freezing temperatures, but also heavy rain, windy weather and mild conditions too.

Our five day forecastsand warnings will provide you with the best possible guidance on any periods of cold weather, frost or the likelihood of snow, giving detailed local information across the UK to help you make the most of the weather over the coming months.

Edited by snowking
  • Like 1

Posted

Keep driving! Jeep speeds past seafront as huge waterspout heads inland

It may have looked like something out of a disaster movie - but the Jeep driver passing through was probably under no illusions to the very real threat posed by this gigantic waterspout.

The amazing natural phenomenon, which is created when tornadoes form above the sea, was spotted earlier today along the shoreline near Batemans Bay, which is 140 miles (225km) south of Sydney.

Also known as 'water twisters', they form when layers of cool air blowing over the water cause warm, moist air to sweep up from underneath, which then creates a swirling column of condensation.

http://www.dailymail...ads-inland.html

Edited by Gavin.

Posted

HALF A MONTHS RAIN TO FALL IN ONE DAY

BRITAIN was on flood alert last night as Atlantic storms threaten to deluge parts of the country with half a month’s rain in a day.

Gale force winds and torrential rain will hit much of the country today with wind speeds of up to 80mph and more than 2.3ins of rain – half the average November rainfall – battering some regions.

Experts said the storm was part of an “Atlantic assault†sparked by low pressure.

Netweather forecaster Paul Michaelwhite said: “Repeated attacks of low pressure are likely to bring rain, blustery showers and high winds right until the end of the week.â€

The Weather Channel forecast wind gusts up to 80mph in the North tonight – with snow in the North from Friday as winter’s first chill begins.

This latest storm front comes as much of the UK is still recovering from one of the wettest summers for 100 years.

http://www.express.c...fall-in-one-day

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

HALF A MONTHS RAIN TO FALL IN ONE DAY

BRITAIN was on flood alert last night as Atlantic storms threaten to deluge parts of the country with half a month’s rain in a day.

Gale force winds and torrential rain will hit much of the country today with wind speeds of up to 80mph and more than 2.3ins of rain – half the average November rainfall – battering some regions.

Experts said the storm was part of an “Atlantic assault†sparked by low pressure.

Netweather forecaster Paul Michaelwhite said: “Repeated attacks of low pressure are likely to bring rain, blustery showers and high winds right until the end of the week.â€

The Weather Channel forecast wind gusts up to 80mph in the North tonight – with snow in the North from Friday as winter’s first chill begins.

This latest storm front comes as much of the UK is still recovering from one of the wettest summers for 100 years.

http://www.express.c...fall-in-one-day

Nice to see them taking Paul's views at least they are alot more realistic and not over the top like other agencys.

• Like 1

Posted

An interesting read here from Paul Hudson, BBC forecaster regarding scaremongering Daily Fail and Express stories!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/paulhudson/2012/11/whats-behind-the-coldest-winte.shtml

• Like 2