Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Has Anyone Ever Witnessed St Elmos Fire

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sunny Days, Summer evening Thunderstorms, Snow and Cold.

It's very much debatable whether that is 'Ball lightning' around the 0:30 mark. Having replayed that section over and over, I've come to the same conclusion I did when I first watched the video the day it was uploaded: it's a bird. I'm pretty sure you can even hear the bird the moment it enters the frame.

Doesn't help that the video quality is poor. But I do wonder, though, what makes people so sure, or certain even, this was a form of lightning. As I said, it is still open to debate what exactly flew across the sky at aformentioned point in the video, but I think many people, whether weather enthusiasts or not, would like to believe it's something out of the ordinary. A rare natural occurance. Gives them something to talk about, I guess.

I agree and I am open minded on what it could be, maybe it is a bird or other easily explained object.

This same phenomenon was also caught on May 25th 1997 near Loco, Oklahoma.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIO37eVlLJc

Skip forward to 4:00 minutes to see it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • European State of the Climate 2023 - Widespread flooding and severe heatwaves

The annual ESOTC is a key evidence report about European climate and past weather. High temperatures, heatwaves, wildfires, torrential rain and flooding, data and insight from 2023, Read more here

Jo Farrow
    Jo Farrow
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Chilly with an increasing risk of frost

Once Monday's band of rain fades, the next few days will be drier. However, it will feel cool, even cold, in the breeze or under gloomy skies, with an increasing risk of frost. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Dubai Floods: Another Warning Sign for Desert Regions?

The flooding in the Middle East desert city of Dubai earlier in the week followed record-breaking rainfall. It doesn't rain very often here like other desert areas, but like the deadly floods in Libya last year showed, these rain events are likely becoming more extreme due to global warming. View the full blog here

Nick F
    Nick F
    Latest weather updates from Netweather 2