Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Awesome Uk Thunderstorm Footage (1994)

Harry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

These are the storms I remember from my youth!! Not had one like this since Aug 2008 :yahoo:

Let's hope for some of this in 2011!!!

Enjoy!! If this doesn't make you salivate nothing will :D

Note the conversation about a didgeridoo in the background - it did make me LOL!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Cool videos Harry.It's been a long time since I've seen storms like that. Yay, here's too 2011 storms .:D:drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

That reminds me of some of the bigger thunderstorms that I've seen during holidays in France- even here in Norwich they rarely reach that sort of intensity!

The synoptic chart for 24 June 1994, marking the beginning of a spell of repeated hot thundery plumes from the south that lasted until 4 August:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1994/Rrea00119940624.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

oh wow! that looks mental, i was only 2 when that was filmed!!!! its his fault we haven't had any decent storms he said it was enough lightning for 2 decades! !!! :aggressive::nonono:dry.gif

Edited by MisguidedPromotions

• 3 months later...
Posted

oh wow! that looks mental, i was only 2 when that was filmed!!!! its his fault we haven't had any decent storms he said it was enough lightning for 2 decades! !!! :aggressive::nonono:dry.gif

When i moved to the Here/Worcs Border in 2006 we had some good thunders storms one in 2008 i think, may have been 2007 where i got my am radio out and set it in between stations and counted 48 strikes a minute when we had a storm right over the house.

Literally Flash then bang - flash then bang for a good ten minutes.

Here's hoping for some more good action maybe this weekend fingers crossed. diablo.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

When i moved to the Here/Worcs Border in 2006 we had some good thunders storms one in 2008 i think, may have been 2007 where i got my am radio out and set it in between stations and counted 48 strikes a minute when we had a storm right over the house.

Literally Flash then bang - flash then bang for a good ten minutes.

Here's hoping for some more good action maybe this weekend fingers crossed. diablo.gif

They don't make storms like that anymore. If only i'd filmed the storm of 1997, now that was a bad boy!

How does the AM radio thing work?

Posted

It's really weird to open a thread in Netweather and find out it's about a video you shot 17 years ago. :lol:

Glad everyone likes it though. It was the first thunderstorm I ever video'd.

Edited by Godot

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

1994 i remember that one!, it chucked my garden furniture across the garden lol :D

Even had a tornado warning to go with it

LOL Welcome to the Best of beatles about hahaha, memories

Also note that we did have a BIG storm in 2007, supercell could be seen from canterbury

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGnADxDO5PI

Edited by Victor Meldrew

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

These are the storms I remember from my youth!! Not had one like this since Aug 2008 :yahoo:

Let's hope for some of this in 2011!!!

Enjoy!! If this doesn't make you salivate nothing will :D

Note the conversation about a didgeridoo in the background - it did make me LOL!!

I remember this storm well. It was a Friday, late afternoon and I was travelling from Guildford to Brighton watching the clouds build from the west after a glorious day. The storm looked ferocious from a distance and didn't disappoint. Hopefully see some more this summer.

Posted

I remember this storm well. It was a Friday, late afternoon and I was travelling from Guildford to Brighton watching the clouds build from the west after a glorious day. The storm looked ferocious from a distance and didn't disappoint. Hopefully see some more this summer.

I'd be really interested to hear if anyone else has memories of this storm. That video was shot a long time before I was interested in the technical side of weather stuff and the internet age, so I didn't know anything was coming our way until seeing the lightning and darkness on the horizon. The main thing I remember is how massive, dark and smothering it felt. It was incredibly humid and the worst thing was you couldn't open the windows because the rain and wind was so bad. The strike at 0:33 in Part 2 is still the closest lightning strike I've filmed.

There was also a record asthma epidemic associated with this storm, referenced here.

The video was filmed from this location, with the front windows facing south-west. If you go to streetview level it's easy enough to work out the orientation. That's the Marconi tower in the background.

Posted

I have amazing footage of that 1994 storm however it was filmed on a camcorder that had those little mini tapes that went inside a big vhs tape, can't bloody find it :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I'd be really interested to hear if anyone else has memories of this storm. That video was shot a long time before I was interested in the technical side of weather stuff and the internet age, so I didn't know anything was coming our way until seeing the lightning and darkness on the horizon. The main thing I remember is how massive, dark and smothering it felt. It was incredibly humid and the worst thing was you couldn't open the windows because the rain and wind was so bad. The strike at 0:33 in Part 2 is still the closest lightning strike I've filmed.

There was also a record asthma epidemic associated with this storm, referenced here.

The video was filmed from this location, with the front windows facing south-west. If you go to streetview level it's easy enough to work out the orientation. That's the Marconi tower in the background.

I think I have a vague memory of it. I know I would have been about the right age. My Mum was looking out the patio doors and commenting how she had never seen such an evil looking sky as it had almost turned yellow. My dad was up the garden doing something in the shed and my Aunty and Uncle were around. I know that day had been really humid because Dad put the sprinklers on for me and my brother and sister to play in. The rumbling and thunder were quite distant but then all of a sudden there was a very close flash and a bang and my dad nearly jumped out of his skin. By the time he made it into the house it was like a monsoon. We all just stood there watching it through the patio doors. As I was quite young it scared me quite a bit as I'd never heard such loud thunder. It lasted about 25 minutes and seemed to disappear almost as quickly as it appeared. I went outside to splash in all the water afterwards.

Posted

I believe there was a bigger storm during that month and year, it was during the horse racing probably early june!

Basically a storm formed in france and travelled east, north east towards the uk. It was the very first storm that i can remember showing up as a purple mass of intensity on the rain radar bbc. As my step dad was watching the horse racing they reported storms nearby. As i checked the forecast, you could clearly see that it was a single storm but it was BIG and it actually grew in intensity as it traversed the southern parts of the uk. By late afternoon i was sitting in the garden and i could clearly hear these huge booms, like cannons being fired!. As the day progressed the sky became hazy and i could just make out large puffy cumulus in the haze. I still heard these loud booms like cannons and haven't heard anything like it since that month/year!. Then it hit and by god did it hit, the wind picked up and the sky went as black as night. The rain came down as a monsoon, the flashing and banging didn't let up and the gust was so strong in this storm it smashed our garden furniture up against the walls. The gusts died down but the rain and lightning did not, our next door neighbours screamed and ran for their cars as they were visiting.

This single storm became a mcs as it hit the south east, what once was a single storm became a large band of storms right across the south east the size of the mcs was huge on the sat images like an atom bomb had taken over the south east. By early hours there had been reports of a tornado in kent on the bbc radio, which didn't surprise me :D. It lasted from about 7 till 6am the next day via seperate storm cells that had grown over kent all from the original storm of that late afternoon.

:drinks:

• 6 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

If Jane Louise had this storm next year, she would be out of the No Storms Club in no time! :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

If Jane Louise had this storm next year, she would be out of the No Storms Club in no time! :rofl:

Keep yer fingers crossed for me please wimblettben. :winky: