Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Rob Mcelwee's Last Shift Is Tonight Folks - Last Forecast Is At 10.52Pm Bbc One :( End Of An Era.

Cymro

Is this a bad move by the Beeb?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think this decision is the correct thing to do?

• No Way - Very bad move
    • Not sure - cut's have to be made
    • Yes - too much of a cold ramper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Is that you?....If so you better get your bum in gear as your on air in half hour. :smiliz19:

Getting from the Peak District to London in 30 mins might be a bit of an ask :D

Posted

Michael Fish does and he still does the odd televised broadcast for the BBC. You never know, as the old saying goes 'no cheek no chance'.

The Lord Fish retired from the Met Office several years ago. He does cover for London/south-east as an individual - it's being a MetO employee that would be the spanner in the works for Sir Rob openly being a Netweather member.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Getting from the Peak District to London in 30 mins might be a bit of an ask :D

It shure would. :clap: Its a real shame tho, maybe its something he has wanted and is using this position as a quik get out.

Posted

A bloody disgrace. Would love to know the real reason. How the hell is Corbett better?

Because he can use Sooty and Sweep when he does his forecasts.................I'll get me coat!!

Bloody disgrace as others have said, wont be watching any Winter Forecasts any more on the Beeb as none of them love this Season like Sir Rob!

Posted

As a matter of interest does anyone posting on here know the details of the arrangement between the the MO and the BBC? If I remember correctly Rob did sme detention at Odiham some years ago for being too layed back. Why woud being a MO employee be a spanner in the works for working on NW. Works well as and after dinner speaker.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Good dump of snow or a damn good thunderstorm

Absolute disgrace... Just watched the last forecast! :(

I'll second that. Bad decision BBC. Not a good move, you are a public service.

Edit just noticed 17 menbers and 196 Guests are reading this topic.

That speaks volumes BBC and Met office as I am sure one of you is a guest !

Edited by flyer

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Well he was very subtle with his 'good-byes' after 20 yrs he commented on "hoping he gets this one right" !.. Will winter forecasts ever be the same..?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

As a matter of interest does anyone posting on here know the details of the arrangement between the the MO and the BBC? If I remember correctly Rob did sme detention at Odiham some years ago for being too layed back. Why woud being a MO employee be a spanner in the works for working on NW. Works well as and after dinner speaker.

I tend to agree- the MetO provides the radar data for N-W Extra so there's some co-operation between the two companies- not exactly a sign of being in opposition!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Briliant last forecast and even the ending brought a tear to my eye as he said 'and if youve been listening to me thankyou' :cray:

BBC im disgusted with you and I hope you rue this decision with passion!:smiliz46:

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

This news broke months ago...

Met Office is to take weathermen off television

Wasn't there a thread here on Net Weather at the time?

Still sad to see his last forecast and Tomasz's Glastonbury & The Finger faux pas's will be missed.

EDIT: I couldn't beleive the new presenter on Midlands Today weather tonight. I thought I was watching Cat off Red Dwarf about to do a Hip Hop spin routine.

Edited by kar999

Posted

Well there we have it, the loss of one of the greatest personalities and forecasters (in front of house at least) of a generation. He deserved much more of a send off than that but he does come across very humble.

And with Phillip Avery on the way out too, we're running out of forecasters I trust, other than Dan the man.

Thats the weather, forever - should have been his ending

SK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I think this thread must be appearing on Google searches to be getting so many guests.

I hope that one day Rob will return to our screens, but I highly doubt it :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Briliant last forecast and even the ending brought a tear to my eye as he said 'and if youve been listening to me thankyou' :cray:

BBC im disgusted with you and I hope you rue this decision with passion!:smiliz46:

Hello.

I knew about this when the story broke, over two months ago and I agree with all the sentiments here.

It was indeed an interesting final BBC broadccast from him. :aggressive: :smiliz19:

For the record, I also copied a link of this very thread to the BBC via the contacts general comment option.

Sadly we are also now short of a few other worthy presenters on tv too. :wallbash: Mind you, I always prefer to listen to the views on Netweather.tv

End of an era for dear ole Rob. :hi:

Kind Regards

gottolovethisweather

Posted

I actually think Corbett is a good forecaster..

Compared to Carol Thunderhead

but thats a another story

Dan sometimes pops on the SW thread :smiliz19:

Edited by dogs32

Posted

I missed his last forecast (didn't know it was his last until I read this thread) He seriously will be missed in our house, especially when cold/snow is on the horizon.

Could anyone post a link?

And Sir Rob, if you are reading this, become a member of NW! :clap:

Posted

Stop blaming the BBC - it's a Met Office cost-cutting decision. The BBC no longer have any say in which Met Office employees appear on screen.

Given that in his situation many of us would have felt like chucking a brick through the camera, that was a very dignified end to 20 years of superb work.

Posted

This news broke months ago...

Met Office is to take weathermen off television

Wasn't there a thread here on Net Weather at the time?

Still sad to see his last forecast and Tomasz's Glastonbury & The Finger faux pas's will be missed.

EDIT: I couldn't beleive the new presenter on Midlands Today weather tonight. I thought I was watching Cat off Red Dwarf about to do a Hip Hop spin routine.

I saw him yesterday Kar. I think his name is Des Coleman? I too couldn't believe what i was seeing. Don't know if it's on the iplayer anywhere, if it is I urge all member to have a look at any of the midlands today news broadcast over the weekend!

Posted

Yes he will be a loss in my books. I was always pleased to seem him pop up as the presenter whenever I watched the forecasts, knowing he would deliver a good forecast and if cold was on the horizon, ramp it up a little..

Quite fitting he was able to go out forecasting snow, but also in an odd way also the return of the atlantic, indeed he may well have been pleased himself not to have been bowing out next week when all he would have had to talk about is mild wet zonal weather..

There are still some good presenters. I quite like Alex Deakin, Helen Willets and another chap with dark brown hair forget his name, and the irish guy is ok. Dan Corbett can be entertaining but I find him quite annoying. The others lack much character, though Laura Tobin is pleasing on the eye! As for Carol Kirkwood she is suited to the breakfast show with her cheery manner, but I don't rate her as a forecaster..