Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Cold Spell Discussion Part 20

Cookie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Spring definitely here now, warm and sunny today, good its sunny though, concern about sunday all the rain and not going to arrive at night. looks better next week with high pressure but not cold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

So tempting to hit the neg rep button :whistling:

Lol, i still would rather have snow though but it was a nice change from shivering all the time outside. I reckon i could have only needed just a light jumper or even just a t shirt yesterday!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!

Discussion about Spring here...It's still January! laugh.gif

I do like mild weather, provided that we get enough cold/snowy weather to compromise. What I dislike is endless mild dull, cloudy, and rainy weather; much prefer it to be cold and dry than mild and wet really.

With regards to cold, the mild weather seems like it will be gone maybe within a week, returning to at least polar maritime air, meaning cold-cool, with hopefully some drier weather for us here (depressing to see it rain pretty much all day every day for the past week) in the midlands. Potentially though, we may be put back into the freezer though, depending on whether or not that atlantic high pressure decides to move a tad further north or not - there are indications of a greenland high towards the end of the reliable timeframe too, but too far away too say for certain. The good thing is the potential is back! good.gif

Posted

No it will be rather cold, frosty by night and even by days temps slightly below average are possible even lower where fog lingers.

hopefully but looks like a dirty high, would be great if it was a Xmas Day style high,

the ECMWF 240 chart is completely unrealistic! no way will that come off, looks like some kind of error

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Bit off topic, can any 1 recommend a good weather station to buy around £50???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Between 2-3pm today especially were some quite Thundery looking skies over Stourbridge. Saw a bit of convection too. Doesnt seem like January! Even a few small storms near London today.

Posted

Light snow for Brum as early as next wednesday if you believe the BBC weather site!

Posted

Light snow for Brum as early as next wednesday if you believe the BBC weather site!

says sleet 1C max and -2C min for me, but 5th day on bbc weather very inaccurate, not sure where sleet/snow will come from when the high is over us, expect that to change to white cloud and 5C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

:rofl: Not at the rate they keep changing their forecasts!

All models agree on high pressure building from the south from the firs part of next week, with significant divergence in the model output between the GFS and ECM by the latter part of next week. So no snowfall in outlook for the foreseeable.

At the moment, the weather looks set to turn cooler during the period in question, with perhaps things turning cold or rather cold as we head towards the end of next week and into the following week. Whether this will be via a potent northerly or an eventual easterly or north-easterly remains to be seen.

Yes that scenario seems to be much more likely, weather turning cooler and drier.

However not looking very dry right now, radar is full of bright echoes to the west of here, I expect rain to be imminent in Malvern within the next half hour, I can see it approaching from the NW. It's also very windy and quite mild, 8.5oC currently.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Coldie!

It looks likely to be rather nippy from tuesday onwards but I doubt that the uppers will be cold enough for snow sadly. As for today - it is very, very windy in my backyard this morning...I am so glad that I don't need to go anywhere today!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

It looks likely to be rather nippy from tuesday onwards but I doubt that the uppers will be cold enough for snow sadly. As for today - it is very, very windy in my backyard this morning...I am so glad that I don't need to go anywhere today!

Yes, windy here as well...I've just had to rescue the xmas tree I planted, as it's been blown over by the gusts!

Posted

Just realised how close we were to getting a soaking this morning when I just checked the radar!

Posted

great its dry but springlike again, 11.4C, generally spring here now, hopefully sunnier next week! similar to last year in a way, the best of the winter was over on 15th Jan after cold in Dec and early Jan

so obvious this year the best has gone, but never know there maybe snow in feb. march getting less snowy, ive had 2 snow free march's in a row

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Well the rain missed us entirely, even though I could see it to the north west at one point, and we've got dry windy weather, 9.2oC.

Posted

so obvious this year the best has gone, but never know there maybe snow in feb. march getting less snowy, ive had 2 snow free march's in a row

If this was 1986 winter hardly started.

The best best was still to come and much better than last december and feb 1985 would run rings around last december.

Posted

There could easily still be a severe cold spell next month, i remember this time to years ago there was no indication of the February easterly and after a similarily chilly start things were somewhat uneventful around this time.

Looks like there should be some decent sunshine in the week ahead at last with the return of those frosty nights.

Posted

Not been on here much in the last week due to the death of my father.

I do agree with the with my fellow north westerners, when snow is forecast they miss out.. yet when it left trouser leges down, the North West is the number 1 spot.

i've never seen so much rain in Bolton in my entire life this week.

i drove upto winter hill and the rain was in floods coming off the hills.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Mark, I think I can speak on behalf on all of us in here in offering you our deepest sympathies & condolences for you and your family's loss...

I'd like to keep this thread open overnight so members can add any appropriate comments, and then perhaps open a fresh thread tomorrow, if no-one has any objections..... :)

Posted

Looks like were all in for a soaking shortly. Feels very mild today though. :)

Posted

Looks like were all in for a soaking shortly. Feels very mild today though. :)

Yep, just started raining here. Knew we couldn't last out much longer!

After tomorrow, looks like we'll see hardly anything fall from the sky for quite some time.

Posted

The outlook is very boring with High pressure staying around for some time it seems. Id rather have some excitement from SW'lys! I think we can soon become confident on no snow for the rest of January but time for some change yet however it doesnt look good and it seems we have used all the winter goodness up in December! Lets Hope February is better as it can be a very good month as well as early March before Spring starts rapidly appearing.

Posted

The outlook is very boring with High pressure staying around for some time it seems. Id rather have some excitement from SW'lys! I think we can soon become confident on no snow for the rest of January but time for some change yet however it doesnt look good and it seems we have used all the winter goodness up in December! Lets Hope February is better as it can be a very good month as well as early March before Spring starts rapidly appearing.

I've got my heart set on big violent wintry showers in March racing down from the northwest! A quick covering of hail here, a fast dusting of snow there...a flash...a boom..a squall...then some March sunshine which just triggers it all off again!

Posted

Now that does sound good. :D

Posted

Not been on here much in the last week due to the death of my father.

I do agree with the with my fellow north westerners, when snow is forecast they miss out.. yet when it left trouser leges down, the North West is the number 1 spot.

i've never seen so much rain in Bolton in my entire life this week.

i drove upto winter hill and the rain was in floods coming off the hills.

Very sorry to hear that, hope you're ok.