Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Cold Spell Discussion Part 20

Cookie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Agree with you on that Nick, the man is meteorologically clueless and always seems to have hip hop playing through his ear piece.

I've contacted the BBC a few times to ask why the people presenting the regional weather aren't trained forecasters ( they certainly used to be ) but the answer is always the same in that they need a combination of 'personality and screen presence'

It would be better if the Met' Office prepared a scripted forecast and it was read out by an announcer rather than have a presenter who knows nothing of meteorology trying to put his own interpretation on a briefing from the Met' Office forecaster.

Des Coleman should stick to singing and doing bits for the One Show

Ridiculous. So this potential career path for me may be shut off, purely because I might not have "personality".

Although I suppose the upside is that if the forecast is wrong, the useless actors get the blame rather than the real Meteorologists behind the scenes...hopefully!

Posted

Ridiculous. So this potential career path for me may be shut off, purely because I might not have "personality".

Although I suppose the upside is that if the forecast is wrong, the useless actors get the blame rather than the real Meteorologists behind the scenes...hopefully!

It's sad state of affairs, but I think you're being a bit hard on yourself saying you've got no personality! :rofl:

I heard him do a radio forecast in Dec when it was very cold and he kept saying he was trying to contact the Met Office to find out what the extended forecast was. Surely weathermen / girls should at least be able to do basic model reading!

Rob McElwee is the best forecaster, both informative and charismatic. But sadly the BBC want to shove him into the back office :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Raining now. Been a cool cloudy day. Had a horrible maths exam today too. Rubbish day all round! :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Just started raining in West Malvern after looking pretty threatening all day. Could see dark clouds over Wales and Herefordshire from where we are on the Hill earlier on. Currently 5.0oC, gusty wind. Looks as if we're going to have a period of mild wet weather for the next few days at the very least, but I'm not giving up on another cold spell later this month or into February.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

mmm seems like weve got to pay for the ace December, looking mild for the foreseeable future, although hopefully the zonal train will derail next monday signs of high pressure next week, certainly nothing cold, but by then will be a relief to be dry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Looking at some of the models, it does looks as though the chances of seeing further cold in a week or so time is becoming less apparent, although certainly a chance still for a bit of a cool down (although obviously this could still change). Having said that, with a few months worth of Winter to go, then I would expect to see some further cold snaps and Wintry weather before the season retreats, whether short-lived or more prolonged.

Weather today: Been a cool and windy day with spells of moderate-heavy rain. Was particularly heavy around 6pm. And even looked a little sleety (though I think that was because of the way I was observing the large rain drops that fell against the security light, lol). Temperature currently around 6.3*c with a moderate to strong South-South-Easterly breeze.

A drier day for Tuesday (today) seems to be on the cards as the Low pressure system withdraws North-Eastwards, before another Atlantic Low spills in from the West on Wednesday and brings us the risk of further spells of rain:

post-10703-0-50690000-1294708787_thumb.jpost-10703-0-71905600-1294708811_thumb.jpost-10703-0-85285200-1294708855_thumb.j

As such, could see further crumblings to various rain-sheilds across the region. :lol:

Posted

We in the East Midlands have had Des Coleman for a few years now, no offence you lot in the West but Im hoping he has moved across permanently to Midlands Today LOL

Posted

Very chilly today with the N/NW wind. Current temp of 2.8C with surprisingly clear skies-that won;t last though.

Can't believe i'm saying this but I'm glad of the wet and windy weather coming up this week. Its a chance for the roads to be washed off with all the salt and grit on them, and a chance to not be freezing when I come out of the shower!

Still want the bitterly cold weather to return though!

Posted

Just watched the 6pm BBC weather forecast and basically I'm more worried about flooding in the Midlands (Severn Valley) than snow at the moment. Looks like we're in the grip of the jet stream which is going to batter us with frontal systems and lots of heavy rain right into the weekend.

Posted

We need rain here I think. The garden pond is very low, will have to top it up with the hose pipe before long. We've had just over 40mm this winter here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

We need rain here I think. The garden pond is very low, will have to top it up with the hose pipe before long. We've had just over 40mm this winter here.

wow are you in a rain shadow area, we have had just over 32mm in January alone already!

Posted

wow are you in a rain shadow area, we have had just over 32mm in January alone already!

Had less than half of that, 15.5mm!

Posted

Aha so there's a Rain Shield as well as a Snow Shield in existence! B)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Aha so there's a Rain Shield as well as a Snow Shield in existence! B)

Dont forget the storm shield - that ones particularly strong over Gloucs :lol:

Posted

Dont forget the storm shield - that ones particularly strong over Gloucs :lol:

:lol: ! West Malvern's starting to feel very left out. We get plenty of rain, fog, snow, wind, even sunshine (only in the afternoon of course!) :p

Posted

Oh well Models not looking good for the return of the very cold snowy weather anytime soon. Can't believe that given the severe Cold spells we had last year the City Of Nottingham missed out again on any significant snowfall that the rest of the Midlands enjoyed. I mean if we can't get any decent snowfall in that set up then we're never going to get any. Sorry for the doom & gloom maybe February will be Nottinghams turn although won't hold my breath. Funny how the rain never seems to miss us by a few miles LOL

Posted

http://www.metoffice...st_weather.html

Advisories out for Sunday/Monday. 50mm of rain !!!! :unsure:

Those totals are always massively overdone, I will be surprised if anybody gets significantly more than an inch of rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I'm enjoying the midler weather, but not the cloud & clagg that comes with it!.........Looks mightily wet towards the end of the weekend

Posted

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/wm/stratford-upon-avon_forecast_weather.html

Advisories out for Sunday/Monday. 50mm of rain !!!! :unsure:

Not sure how they came up with that, looks like patchy rain for most with any heavier rain reserved for Wales and even there i doubt more than 10-15mm will fall.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Very mild feeling today. Actually enjoyed it! Lol.

Posted

Very mild feeling today. Actually enjoyed it! Lol.

So tempting to hit the neg rep button :whistling:

Posted

Well Im loving the milder weather. Just need it to be a bit drier at the weekends plse !

Good riddance to the snow hopefully - though if I get the job i went for yesterday I wont be so fussed, as its only a mile down the road :clap:

Roll on the Spring I say.

Posted

Well Im loving the milder weather. Just need it to be a bit drier at the weekends plse !

Good riddance to the snow hopefully - though if I get the job i went for yesterday I wont be so fussed, as its only a mile down the road :clap:

Roll on the Spring I say.

I agree with you there no more snow at all get rid of it.