Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Cold Spell Discussion Part 20

Cookie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

18Z kinda delays cold, pushes it into deep FI, so I would say a downgrade because of the increase in uncertainty, but cold arrives if anything an upgrade for next Saturday night and sunday with Cheshire gap potential, lets hope the weekend northerly remains

Posted

Well at least Ive got thru the Xmas and New Year period with no more snow.

Was hoping we might be lucky and thta was it ... was hoping it might be at least more than a week anyway

(I know it goes against the grain from most of you on here.... look at me as the alternative comedian on here !)

Happy New Year all anyway !

Posted

Hoping to finally get at least some sunshine tommorow, still overcast out there tonight but its back below freezing again now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Hoping to finally get at least some sunshine tommorow, still overcast out there tonight but its back below freezing again now.

My grandparents tell me about this mythical weather phenomenon know as "sunshine". Hopefully I will live long enough to see it again.

Posted

Flash warnings of snow issued for the south west. Not relevant to here of course but acts as a good example of how uncertain and sudden things could happen this week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

ECM would bring quite a mild blast next week. Im struggling to see these cold synoptics thats being hope casted in the model thread. I think they should accept defeat on this one. A very messy week coming up which i hate as it brings cold temps that do nothing as they are too warm for snow etc.

My view for the month is fairly mild with the odd cold incursion but not much snow about.

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

ECM would bring quite a mild blast next week. Im struggling to see these cold synoptics thats being hope casted in the model thread. I think they should accept defeat on this one. A very messy week coming up which i hate as it brings cold temps that do nothing as they are too warm for snow etc.

My view for the month is fairly mild with the odd cold incursion but not much snow about.

I agree at the moment. The weather looks to be up and down but with nothing extreme in either direction and any snow potential always accompanied by unwelcome synoptics - ie warm sectors etc. Much more marginal than we had pre Christmas. A murky January it seems...

Posted

For a normal mild January of the 90`s/00`s this looks a good month with cold zonal mixed with GH building to the north,but milder SW-lys at times I suppose a La nina year does give cold zonality in January.

This does look a wetter month I doubt.

Hopefully a major easterly which we have not seen since the 80`s will come in february or late January.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

Here's something positive, the sun is starting to break through.

Posted

It's cloudy at the moment here in Coventry though there has been a little bit of sunshine too this morning. Temperatures are around 3 degrees at the moment.

However, the models are struggling but watching them and their changes is very interesting.

For example, in Coventry, the UKMO have forecasted that Thursday night will see a minimum of 1 degrees and there will be some light snow. Then on Friday, there is going to be heavy rain with a max temperature of 9 degrees and minimum of 7 degrees. That's very mild indeed, I wasn't expecting that to be happening. But it seems from the latest forecasts now that mild air is coming to come and try and come in from the south on Friday morning. How far north it gets is open to debate in my opinion.

Whatever happens, it's been a very interesting winter so far and there is still some way to go until the end of winter. It seems from what predictions are that it's going to continue to be a cold winter (whether it's as cold as in December is open to debate) with perhaps some brief mild interludes.

Edited by fourseasons

Posted

ECM would bring quite a mild blast next week. I'm struggling to see these cold synoptics thats being hope casted in the model thread. I think they should accept defeat on this one. A very messy week coming up which i hate as it brings cold temps that do nothing as they are too warm for snow etc.

I think conditions remain favorable further outbreaks of cold as we head through the month. Its not going to be the normal deep PV over Greenland, a positive AO and low after low barreling across the UK. Something we became far to used to. The AO remains negative with no organized PV over the Arctic. Unfortunately for us the blocking hasn't set up in a position favorable for us. As other have said, despite this less cold spell, sometimes mild, chances remain high for decent outbreaks of cold. At least thats how i see it!

Edited by Mark Bayley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Still, I noticed today, just the tiniest bit of slushy ice still remaining in the shady spot behind the front garden wall where I shovelled it about a fortnight ago! Nothing at all still around in the open, though. Yet another gloomy day today -- it was briefly almost bright in late morning, but that was as good as it got. Max 3.0 °C, so actually a cold day; it just doesn't feel that way after last month!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & thunder storms.

Despite the milder temps, the canal is still frozen over (thin ice at the edges but still quite thick towards the centre). Where we broke the ice, around the boat, it has started to refreeze as of last night.

Current temp here is 1c, partial cloud.

I need to travel on Wednesday, but after that if the cold and snow fancy coming back, then I'm all for it :)

Posted

A little bit of Scope for some Snow tonight for the Midlands, Our local forecast seem to think it is possible Early and Late during the next 24 hours . That band down South I doubt will reach anywhere near the East Mids but the GFS seems to think it may reach some areas in the West Mids, then there is the front coming down from the North and should deliver some snow for some of us during the early hours of the Morning ... Radar watching again then .....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

A little bit of Scope for some Snow tonight for the Midlands, Our local forecast seem to think it is possible Early and Late during the next 24 hours . That band down South I doubt will reach anywhere near the East Mids but the GFS seems to think it may reach some areas in the West Mids, then there is the front coming down from the North and should deliver some snow for some of us during the early hours of the Morning ... Radar watching again then .....

Pffff thats an extreme long shot, I can't see any snow for the East Midlands tonight, maybe a small chance for Northamptonshire but Leicester, Nottingham, Derby etc... Just no chance.

Posted

What a backtrack from just a few hours ago.

The Meto were predicting temperatures of 9 degrees in the daytime and 7 degrees minimum on Friday night with heavy rain for Coventry. Now, the forecast has totally changed to a maximum and minimum temperature of 0 degrees with light snow in the daytime and some drizzle (freezing drizzle) at night.

That is a big big turnaround and it just shows that they are struggling because all the models etc.. seem to be all over the place aswell.

Oh, and light snow predicted from 6pm tonight....

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Despite the milder temps, the canal is still frozen over (thin ice at the edges but still quite thick towards the centre).

I still have a 200Ltr lollipop that was once the contents of my water butt. It fell off it's stand and was as solid as a rock right through when it was -16C. Despite being in the sunshine, it's hardly melted at all since.

Edit: Current temp -2C and I noticed shady puddles have been frozen over all day today.

Edited by kar999

Posted

First sunshine since Christmas Day today, and nice to see frost returning.

The cold air can't have moved that far away surely, it was either on our doorstep or right over us for 5 weeks. Just hope we don't get a February 2010 rerun; what a wretched month with its endless 3C and sleet day and night.

Edited by Summer of 95

Posted

Pffff thats an extreme long shot, I can't see any snow for the East Midlands tonight, maybe a small chance for Northamptonshire but Leicester, Nottingham, Derby etc... Just no chance.

Why Northamptonshire?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Snow? How cool, I had no idea there was the chance of that. None here.

Posted
Posted · Hidden by A.J, January 3, 2011 - a bit pointless
Hidden by A.J, January 3, 2011 - a bit pointless

Light snow here in Blisworth. Now that was a surprise.

:cc_confused: