Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Cold Spell Discussion Part 20

Cookie

Posted

Today has certainly been one of those nice surprises, yes its thawing now but i expected a dusting followed by heavy driving rain all day when instead there was fairly heavy snow from 7-9am, 2cm cover (an inch on some surfaces like shed roof etc) and instead of turning to rain its a nice slow steady thaw with fog and the temperature only slowly rising.

The radar was certainly very lively,some intense ppn showing there more for the midlands than Wales,pretty quiet that thread is.

It got down to -3.0c last night so pretty impressive considering the uppers were nothing that cold.

I did expect snow not quite as heavy s this was,but in the end it came earlier than expected must of been around 6am it started guessing.

If this was a S-ly it would`ve been a poor show,as is an E-ly and fog you can`t go wrong.

As you head into Wales further the fog goes,other way around with a westerly.

0.7c here thinking about thawing,still freezing higher up 340m.

http://www2.wetter3.de/Animation_06_UTC/36_30.gif

Just the weekened pretty cold westerlies with a hint of NW-ly and a few wintry showers.

Then next week mild wet and very windy :mellow: I`m making the most of today.

0.5c now so the snow will stay today at least.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Interesting morning, more so than I'd really expected. Woke up about 6.45, looked out... looked damp. Didn't bother looking out again until around 7.30... looked white! Maybe a bit over 1 cm of full cover here, and timed nicely so that today will go down as a "snow lying" day by the MetO definition, though where I am now (Kidderminster) there's absolutely nothing left. Reminiscent of "traditional modern" snow, that! I fancy a bit of mild weather now -- meaning double figures -- so long as it doesn't go on too long and we can get some wintry interest back by the end of the month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Another spell of snow about an hour ago has taken the average depth to 6cm but the temp' is now 0.0c and it's drizzling.

Thick fog too, vis' about 80 mts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I just got back from shopping in Cannock, and my goodness, what a horrible experience! (the weather, not shopping in Cannock, although that in itself not an especially nice experience!.....lol) No road had been gritted, as I guess the local council saw this as a transient event, so not bothering to grit...anyhoos, about an inch or so of horrible muddy slush everywhere....I'm just hoping for heavy rain later on today (it's heading this way) to wash away all this crud

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I just got back from shopping in Cannock, and my goodness, what a horrible experience! (the weather, not shopping in Cannock, although that in itself not an especially nice experience!.....lol) No road had been gritted, as I guess the local council saw this as a transient event, so not bothering to grit...anyhoos, about an inch or so of horrible muddy slush everywhere....I'm just hoping for heavy rain later on today (it's heading this way) to wash away all this crud

I've just been into Cannock to drop my brother off at school...and wolf down a cheeky Big Mac. I agree. I HATE this kind of weather, I would prefer blowtorch SW'lies to this, slushy, murky and horrible. The roads are in a right state I agree, I notice the dual carriageway going up to the tip has been gritted though. They have to do as much as possible to allow other councils to dump their rubbish here!

Took me 4 attempts just to get out of my road this morning, there was ice underneath the snow. Still cold here at 0.5c but it's raining lightly now. Vile, vile weather. I wish it hadn't bothered snowing, at least with rain you don't have to trudge through sludge (ha! it rhymes!).

Edited by Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I just hope it stays dry now its less cold, still slushy snow here in Stafford town, nothing worse than rain especially in winter, so want it dry, I can never understand anyone who likes rain!

Posted

I just hope it stays dry now its less cold, still slushy snow here in Stafford town, nothing worse than rain especially in winter, so want it dry, I can never understand anyone who likes rain!

Ducks?

Posted

I echo your sentiment altjhough sadly next week looks anything but dry :(

Posted

Hmm andy no distruptive snow :p? Only roads full of ice and slush, schools closed, tail backs right across Wales and the midlands? Wet snow yes but still distruptive :p.

With lots of Love the Welsh thread :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Hmm andy no distruptive snow :p? Only roads full of ice and slush, schools closed, tail backs right across Wales and the midlands? Wet snow yes but still distruptive :p.

With lots of Love the Welsh thread :p

an inch or 2 of slushy snow caused disruption? Good god.

Posted

5 inches reported in places in Powys. Don't judge how weather causes distruption. You said it wouldn't and you also proclaimed that it would be a very transient affair, places in powys have kept onto they're snow cover all day and haven't seen rain. I think from this we can come to the conclusion we were both wrong. Maybe now you will climb off your high horse and join the rest of us for a decent discussion rather than a bicker?

Posted

Very bleak and damp here this afternoon with the snow turning to slush and thawing slowly, temperature has been much slower to rise than i expected though, still 1c now the same as it was four hours ago before i left for college.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

5 inches reported in places in Powys. Don't judge how weather causes distruption. You said it wouldn't and you also proclaimed that it would be a very transient affair, places in powys have kept onto they're snow cover all day and haven't seen rain. I think from this we can come to the conclusion we were both wrong. Maybe now you will climb off your high horse and join the rest of us for a decent discussion rather than a bicker?

You'll be lucky :winky:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Andy & Adamjones416, take your bickering elsewhere please, preferably to PM's, and not to ANY of the regional threads....thanks

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

foggy now, still bits of snow left, bbc had me up to 9°C at 9pm, but next week not looking good for snow, snowless everywhere I think next week away from Scotland, going to be as boring as 'eck weatherwise

Posted

Rain definately now next band hardly surprising as uppers are above 0c.

Snow did reach low ground here too.

Anyhow looks very mild in the SW currently at 10c with SW winds.

Still cold had some rain,it still refuses to drip off the roof at 0.8c light east wind and fog.

Light s wind tonight then back to a W wind a colder air comes back.

May see a brief freeze here as dusk comes.

Posted

There was 1-2 inches here and that caused disruption, granted, we are used to 15 CM round here but when it's wet snow it causes all kinds of problems. Cars were skidding and many resorted to leaving there car at home as they couldn't get it out without hitting something.

Disruption occurred but not in the most severe way.

Edited by cheeserice

Posted

foggy now, still bits of snow left, bbc had me up to 9°C at 9pm, but next week not looking good for snow, snowless everywhere I think next week away from Scotland, going to be as boring as 'eck weatherwise

Im certainly very doubtful that temperatures will get anywhere near as high as forecast in these parts through the rest of the day now, i was expecting 5/6c by now but its still just above 1c despite the mild uppers and moderate at times rain.

Posted

It's a nightmare to drive on mate, trust me. Especially as the roads around here haven't been gritted and I have to get up a long, fairly steep hill just to leave my road.

Posted

I'm sort of looking forward to the mild spell, we didn't do very well here out of the last cold spell and there's alot to be done in the garden pruning and digging wise that cannot be done if it's -10'c every other night.

I do believe that we SHALL get a cold spell at the end of next week and through the weekend onwards, the models seems to have shuffled them selves back in to some sort of semblence of order and are looking alot more plausable with the mild being followed by cold.

We shall see :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Interesting temperature variation over a relatively short distance: Birmingham Airport is reporting 5 °C, yet it's only 1.6 °C here and (unlike in Kidderminster) there's still a fair bit of snow on the ground -- maybe 30% cover on the lawns.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Coldie!

4.6 here. Feels colder though, probably because of the fog. What a wonderful day weatherwise though - snowflakes the size of dinner plates and now the best fog I've seen for years!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

A balmy 6.4oC in West Malvern, almost all our snow's gone now, we had about 5 cm this morning which was very slippery for cars to get about on as we're on a hill road. Certainly way warmer now, I'll be getting my T-shirt out soon.:)

Posted

The lying snow has hung on all day, and everything remains white. Temperature is slowly edging upwards, so I expect most of the snow will be gone by the morning. But, it was more and lasted longer than I thought, so another good weather day.