Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

*Save Rob McElwee!*

Posted

(Im not sure where the best place for this thread is)

BBC weather presenter Rob McElwee, is to be axed from the BBC.

Please show your support here to save the presenter.

BBC weather wouldn't be the same without Rob's humour, his weather presenting skills - he's one of the best we've got!!

**COME SHOW YOUR SUPPORT FOR ROB!!**

I will email this thread to the BBC with all our comments :)

saverob.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Sad news if true, although the only "news" source I have found it on is the Daily Mail.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

What are the BBC playing at?! Rob is better than that shaffernacker or whatever he's called.

Netweather... If McElwee goes, sign him up for goodness sake! Fish and McElwee would be an epic team.

Posted

Would be a great shame, rather him than some of the ones I sometimes see on the local forecasts etc that don't seem to actually know much about weather.. I also quite like that weather map :whistling: even if it was actually sleet/rain here if it's the event I think it was!

Edited by StormMad26

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Get rid of the bbc and all the forecasters , they are a complete waste of money... I'd rather use the information here or model related!

Posted

While your at it, save a Laura Tobin for me as well please? :wub:

_45402142_lauratobin.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Sad news if true, although the only "news" source I have found it on is the Daily Mail.

Phew! I really thought it was true for sec, there...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

I love his style of presenting. His forecasts seem to clearly indicate the main type of weather expected for the day in question. For example, he never overeggs whether you will or will not get wet at the bus-stop etc. Having listened to his forecasts (Rob's) I never leave the house with any doubt as to what can be expected for the day, i.e. there is no waffling. I believe he's up there with some of the best forecasters including NW's Mr. Fish.

As for the ladies, Helen Willets is very good and I do like that Laura Tobin, mmmmm.

Let's hope that sense prevails and he is kept on the BBC, or as someone else said, join netweather. :clap:

Cheers

STORMBOY

Edited by STORMBOY

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Three of them to go? Thats sad news, i liked Tomasz Schafernaker and Philip Avery. I was never a big fan of Rob McElwee, he just presents the weather in a boring way.. and really you either love him or hate him. He has the sort of voice that puts you to sleep! I'm glad Daniel Corbett isn't going, hes one of my favourite.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

I'd be sorry to see Philip Avery go to

the back rooms.

I think he has a perfect delivery.

BL :)

Posted

I'm glad Daniel Corbett isn't going, hes one of my favourite.

That’s the most amazing statement I've ever read (well almost), still if you like to have the word temperatures replaced with numbers, and rain described as large swathes of blue, you're onto a winner with Dan, he presents in a weather for idiots style. Personally I can’t stand watching him, even with the sound turned down. Rob on the other hand always sounds as if he knows what he's talking about. What’s her name, Laura Tobin, nice to look at, but talks with a lisp, nothing wrong with that, she can't help it, but I like my weather presented in a clear and concise style.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

ARE YOU HAVING A LAUGH? Rob McElwee is BY FAR the best forecaster they have on there at the moment, light years ahead of everyone else!!

Typical BBC, always sticking their oar in and trying to fix something that doesn't need fixing, in addition to their sublime weather graphics "upgrade"! Soon we are going to be left with the characterless, wooden and boring forecasters, irrespective of how young or pretty they are!

Schafernaker for all his sins at least keeps the girls (and a few boys) happy - the BBC aka the gustapo are evidently not happy about the fact he goes on the front cover of magazines and gets caught with his middle finger up when the cameraman decides to pan to him without warning, in addition to presenting the forecast with bulging biceps!

How about getting rid of (who if they read this don't take it personally) Liam Dutton, Matt Taylor and John Hammond who for all intents and purposes are as dull as dishwater! Especially Liam Button, who spends 50% of the forecast talking nonsense..."so if we take our forecast and start in the SW at aroooooound 8:30 in the morning", "let us go and see what the weather has in store", "if we know zoooom out and take a look at the British Isles as a whole"...its probably just me, but he seems to think every sentence containing a reference to the weather needs some form of introduction....

That mob haven't got a clue, not a bloody clue! :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Next Helen Willetts and Peter Gibbs will be off because they've been there too long no doubt!

(Rant over!)

Edited by Harry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Sorry, Rob is working for me at worcestershireweather!! :rofl:

Posted

Not good news, and this on the day Jay Wynne returned to the lunchtime forecast - he is so dull to listen to!

And Laura Tobin may look good, but she's a poor forecaster IMO.

Posted

Disgraceful really, especially with Rob Mcelwee who is probably not too far off from retirement anyways. I always like watching his forecasts as you can learn quite a bit from him and he is not afraid too admit his love for cold weather either and does not see snow "as the end of the world" as some forecasters seem too describe. Also it would be sad too see him go when the winter season is approching.

Phil Avery seems too enjoy his job and you can always expect a 100% effort when he does the forecasts so it be sad too see him go if this is true.

Tomasz is the same as Phil, he seems too enjoy his job and you certainly fault his enthusisom, especially when we get weather events like thunderstorms and snow but as others say, he is prone too do far too many mistakes and some could argue he should of been sacked long ago - not that i'm one of those people mind.

Lets hope this story is a load of tosh because if it is true, we will see 3 great forecasters imo being demoted from our TV screens and be kept with dull forecasters like Susan Powell and Liam Dutton - the former who is one of the worse mild rampers there is and the latter's voice just makes you want to sleep when you listen to him

That’s the most amazing statement I've ever read (well almost), still if you like to have the word temperatures replaced with numbers, and rain described as large swathes of blue, you're onto a winner with Dan, he presents in a weather for idiots style. Personally I can’t stand watching him, even with the sound turned down. Rob on the other hand always sounds as if he knows what he's talking about. What’s her name, Laura Tobin, nice to look at, but talks with a lisp, nothing wrong with that, she can't help it, but I like my weather presented in a clear and concise style.

Agree to a certain extent about Dan Corbett, but i do like some of his phrases he comes out with and it would certainly teach any younger viewers who may watch the weather forecasts. For example, whenever a large area of high pressure loses its strength, he describes it as "taking air out of a balloon" but saying "the numbers" instead of temperatures is silly, yes they are numbers but use the proper term, not difficult surely. He is certainly a forecaster i prefer too listen over Liam Dutton anyday mind you.

Still, if these cuts do happen, the BBC has still got much better forecasters than ITV, mostly the senior presenters i like mind you, like Helen Willetts, Peter Gibbs and especially cold ramper John Hammond so i guess it won't be the end of the world but it will be a sad day if/when these forecasters do leave.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Rob McElwee is the best weather forecaster at the BBC and if they are sacking him its a disgrace and will lose my respect. The BBC needs to sort themselves out if there thinking about doing this and if its neccessary to sack a forecaster to save money then sack on of the boring mild rampers who despise saying cold !

(rant over) lmao but seriously they need to think about this very carefully!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Rob will never say or be cajoled into saying 'At least it will be mild' or 'just look nhow mild it is!' in his forecasts as it and he doesn't fit into the AGW driven BBC/MetO.

Down here on SE News we get Nazaneen [delightful] and the legendary 'Fish'

BFTP

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

It's just my preference that i much prefer Dan to Rob. I find Dan's forecast much more interesting than Rob's. Yes rain described as large swathes of blue is more interesting and better than just "Rain". Whilst i find Rob taking about 2 or 3 seconds to even say "Rain". Dan's way of describing the weather is the most fun and watchable because he doesn't just say its going to rain, he emphasises when it will rain and how heavy it will be with different words you would normally not expect. This isn't really idiots style..it's just different. Oh well Rob is going now anyway.

Posted

Just saw the article on MSN - shame some famous faces are getting the shove off screen. I think Rob is the last of the 'old skool' presenters and has a softer delivery...

HAHA someone had edited Tomasz Schafernaker's Wikipedia entry...but as I type this it has been removed (some disgruntled resident of the Outer Herbrides?)

I have to admit that I did have a bit of a 'man crush' :blush: on Tomasz Schafernaker

Edited by MR CB

Posted

Rob McElwee is the best weather forecaster at the BBC and if they are sacking him its a disgrace and will lose my respect. The BBC needs to sort themselves out if there thinking about doing this and if its neccessary to sack a forecaster to save money then sack on of the boring mild rampers who despise saying cold !

(rant over) lmao but seriously they need to think about this very carefully!

I agree, with Susan Powell, you will get the feeling from her forecasts that most people would like it dull at 12C rather than sunny at 2C with wintry showers whilst Rob(and others) would emphasize that is perfect winter weather whilst describe the dull at 12C as boring.

Speaking about wintry showers, one gripe about Dan Corbett is that he hardly like menturning snow showers and often refer them as wintry showers. Bit annoying when wintry showers by most people's defination is rain/sleet/snow/hail all mixed together in one shower and not Dan's description.