Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Positive Weather Solutions,

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

Hi Folks just read in both in the sun and Scotland daily record that Jonathan Powell of positive weather solutions is going for snow in September here in Scotland and to prepare for another cold winter like last year while i cant find the article on-line has anyone any information as to the validity of these claims and how good this guy is at predicting weather accurately

snow in september

Edited by glasgow-guy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and lots of Heavy snow!

Hi Folks just read in both in the sun and Scotland daily record that Jonathan Powell of positive weather solutions is going for snow in September here in Scotland and to prepare for another cold winter like last year while i cant find the article on-line has anyone any information as to the validity of these claims and how good this guy is at predicting weather accurately

Positive Weather soloutions led by Jon Powell, to give them credit did forecast correctly a colder than average Winter last year but only recently forecast a BBQ record breaking 1976 style Summer period that was not realy for most. In my humble opinion there Winter forecasts do tend to be slightly more accurate than there other Long range forecasts but to be honest there claim that there will be significant snowfall in September does seem to be a bit on the headline grabbing side seeing as there website Autumn forecast suggests a mild and wet season very confusing! So I would take anything they say with caution they are probably just headline searching. The article however is availiable online on the Daily Express website. Hope this helps.

Edited by SNOW GO

As far as I am aware, snow in Scotland in September has occurred on a number of occasions but it has been over the mountains.

Tried looking on the Daily Express website but could not find any trace of the Positive Weather Solutions article, though the hot BBQ summer appears well wide of the mark now.

Can you give us the link please Snow Go?

Posted

The article link is when I last checked on the front page of the website on the left hand side news section 3rd or 4th story down and is titled I think "One last chance to see the sun" there is also an article on the simmilar sort of lines on the Daily Records website where Jon Powell also predicts that this Winter will be another cold or very cold one for many. Hope this helps if you have any further problems finding it let me know Mike.

Posted

has anyone seen any data or signs from the models to suggest there may be some validity to his forecast?

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

has anyone seen any data or signs from the models to suggest there may be some validity to his forecast?

Snow in Scotland is fairly normal in September when you bare in mind that the Highlands are over 1000 metres, as for winter, nobody has any real idea.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Well, one person's guess is as good as any other?

Posted

can i assume that Jonathan Powell is using different data model not available to net weather to issue a forecast like that

Posted

This is OH SO bad news when he says "It’s going to be on a par with last winter.â€

Last winter didn't deliver any significant snowfall over Poole, yet it returned some quite low temperatures. Let's hope he's wrong and this winter is not on a par with last winter, with respect to snowfall anyway.

Whilst most of the UK saw decent snowfall down here it was dire, and satellite piccies clearly demonstrate just where it didn't snow down here.

Posted

This is OH SO bad news when he says "It’s going to be on a par with last winter.â€

Last winter didn't deliver any significant snowfall over Poole, yet it returned some quite low temperatures. Let's hope he's wrong and this winter is not on a par with last winter, with respect to snowfall anyway.

Whilst most of the UK saw decent snowfall down here it was dire, and satellite piccies clearly demonstrate just where it didn't snow down here.

there are so many factors that could favour you getting decent snow fall this winter or not just because J P says on a par with last winter doesn't mean that it will be exactly the same set up I saw really decent snow fall last winter however it certainly wasn't the most I had ever seen falling for my area in a few hours or even the coldest temperatures but the cold and snow persisted and I had snow lying on the ground for 3 weeks and temperatures also suppressed for the same amount of time so lets just hope he is right with his forecast the rest will sort its self out

Edited by glasgow-guy

Posted

euT2mMon.gif

Just thought I would post what NOAA think about this Autumn/Winter period these charts however dont seem to give the freezing Winter Positive Weather Soloutions and Joe B from US organisation Accu Weather are predicting but do suggest a chance of some September snow due to the forecast below average temperatures. Alot of different things by lots of different models/organisations are being thrown in the mix however for this Autumn/Winter with no real agreement between them so it will be interesting to see what will happen when it comes down to the crunch.

Edited by SNOW GO

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

well they have updated there monthly forecast for next month and are going for cold and some snow for the north and east. frost as well next month just thought id let you know that positive weather solutions have updated there monthly weather forecast for next month.

• 1 month later...
Posted

I'm still waiting for the September snow in Aberdeen......

Edited by Paul B

Posted

As far as I am aware, snow in Scotland in September has occurred on a number of occasions but it has been over the mountains.

Tried looking on the Daily Express website but could not find any trace of the Positive Weather Solutions article, though the hot BBQ summer appears well wide of the mark now.

Can you give us the link please Snow Go?

simply google for positive weather solutions!

can i assume that Jonathan Powell is using different data model not available to net weather to issue a forecast like that

it would be better if you just assumed he loves weather headlines, on average over the past 3-4 years, summer and winter, I think, correct me if I am wrong someone, he is right or about there maybe 4 out of 10. In other words barely better than saying last summer was such and such therefore next summer will be the same or insert winter for that.

really a waste of space in my humble opinion.

Posted

PWS have quoted the following: Britain 'in for another big freeze winter'

Here's the link http://www.telegraph...eze-winter.html

Weather action on into overdrive taking the weather forcaste to the extreme , wanting to warn the uk of extreme weather in december a red warning for january warning of severe snow 2 3 and 4 of jan , hype.HOW i love it.

he

Edited by keithlucky

Posted

Weather action on into overdrive taking the weather forcaste to the extreme , wanting to warn the uk of extreme weather in december a red warning for january warning of severe snow 2 3 and 4 of jan , hype.HOW i love it.

Croydon Council have ordered extra salt/grit with a very tight budget for this coming winter. Croydon Council get their official forecats from the MetO. PWA might be onto something!

he

Posted

Um, any update on how accurate the previous forecast for snow in Scotland in was? Was there any snow in Scotland in September, even in the Cairngorms? (not sure where he was predicting snowfall because the forecast was a bit woolly.)

Edited by crepuscular ray

Posted

Um, any update on how accurate the previous forecast for snow in Scotland in was? Was there any snow in Scotland in September, even in the Cairngorms? (not sure where he was predicting snowfall because the forecast was a bit woolly.)

There was one brief snowfall in the Cairngorms.

There had already been a previous brief snowfall there at the end of August.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

At the end of that article is that the MetO's October forecast?:

"It is predicting an "unsettled period" for October, with mild, wet and windy weather giving way mid-month to calmer conditions and near-normal temperatures - which will mean frosts for parts of the country - for the remainder."

Because so far, it'd still be wrong. 1st week was unsettled, 2nd and 3rd week dry and starting to cool, 4th and 5th week looking unsettled and cool/colder.

Posted

Same here in swales a 1000 tonnes bought and stored, a overeaction ,to last year because they ran out ,and had to add sand to the grit to salt to spread on the roads.