Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Inside The Biggest Tornado Hunt In History

pottyprof

Posted

Nice little bit of info in New Scientist about the Vortex2 data from 5th June 2009. The day that Sean Casey finally got his footage.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20527491.400-inside-the-biggest-tornado-hunt-in-history.html?page=1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

I downloaded some High Res Loops from this tornado taken by the DOW closest to it and they are utterly stunning. The eye in the centre of the tornado vortex is something to behold. It looks very much like a hurricane albeit in this case, the eye is caused by the centrifuging of debris and rain from the centre of the mesocyclone. I'd post a link if I could upload it but some of the loops were 50mb in size and I don't have access to them at work. Perhaps I can find the original link or upload some screenshots when I get in tonight if anyone is interested.

Posted

Well the screen-shots really don't do it justice, so for now I'm uploading the full animated loop, although at 74mb it's going to take a while!!! Not sure I've ever seen an animated GIF be so large... Should be on my website in 45 minutes or so so I'll update this with a link when it's up. Shouldn't be too much trouble with my site's bandwidth as I think only a few select people will be mad enough to download such a large file :lol:

Posted

As promised... Here's 2 for now. I have a few more from other DOWs or zoomed in a bit but it takes a while to upload and these are the best :)

Dow 7 Wide Angle (30mb) - This shows the storm from before tornadogenesis although intervals between shots are larger than the loop below.

RapidDow Wide Angle (74mb) - This is the Rapid Dow scanning the storm every 7 seconds. Starts as the storm is cranking up and I think before the first tornado touches down but I'll have to check the timings. By far the best radar imagery you will ever see (Until Vortex 2 hits the plains again this May I imagine :) I think the jog north around the radar vehicle which the storm appears to take is actually the radar vehicle moving south to get out of the path... They got that close!

With both these links, it's probably best to save-as due to their size!

Edited by Gorky