Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Chase 2009 Day 18 Discussion

Nick F

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!

Have been watching Andy for the last 10 minutes. Incredible. He is in the heart of a storm there, frequent cc and cg lightning flickering away.

Edited by Seasons

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

Right now the chase the storms.com webcam is pretty active with some stunning formations.

http://www.tornadovideos.net/full-screen-chaser-video.php

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Heres the last hour of vis sat images, especially for you Potty..!!

latest

Edited by NL

Posted

Amazing mate.. Absolutely amazing satellite images...

It is a very beautiful set of storms.. I hope they have the photos to go with this.. I'm sure they will have.. :lol:

Posted

Sad news: One person is confirmed dead from the tornado that did significant damage to the north side of Kirksville,MO.

Posted

Its a sad fact that something that can bring so much fun and excitement, can be so deadly.. All chasers in the states do their best to help out should they come across an incident..

Lets just hope that the figure doesn't rise..

Just watchin cam.. LOL.. oh did the team run for cover?? LOLOLOL

Posted

Fantastic live cam chase today peeps..

Stay safe and enjoy your sleep when you get it.. :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

Just to let you know, I'm ok, although the sting made driving very uncomfortable. A combination of factors meant I got on the storm up near Kirksville late (I picked it up prior to it passing Edina. At that point the big tornado had lifted, but by the time further touchdown reports came in, the RFD had swung round and blocked any chance of me seeing them. I'd positioned south so I could chase the next cell down but that never amounted to anything. I followed the original cell until it stopped being Tor Warned, though I think it finished dropping nado's after crossing the river. Lowlights of today were the bee sting, dump truck blocking road for 15 minutes in with no other route around, me looking at a static image from the Des Moines radar rather than the latest for about 20 minutes after initiation delaying the start of the chase, only sleeping 2 of the 4 hours I was a motel last night due to a noisy fridge before driving 11 hours to the first storm, and standing in a fresh cow pat wearing only my sandals (no socks).. :lol: I still had fun overall though :D

Posted

Good Chase but once again the Tornadoes were Elusive. Sat on the Tail end of the Line all day and followed it South from Initiation at Enid right down to I40. But the Tail End Charlie just did not produce a Tornado as per the Storm Chasers Handbook :lol: :D We had fun and only drove 350 Miles all in today so not so shabby, good Lightning Shots once again as Night came.

Paul S

Posted

Hi Guys, we are in Lawton again Tornado sirens have spooked us twice emergeny vehicles flying up and down the road just got another cell getting near phew like you chasing same storms got under circulation once then dropping south and south on preceeding dominant cells got ahead of the line and stuck our self at Lawton strong winds loads of lightning and scary sirens circulation seenon tthe base as it went near our hotel but not fast , phew got a dry mouth, any going to shoot some more video.

Steve

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

I've checked my video and no tornado shown.... I saw a funnel through the trees as I approached but by the time I next saw it, with the video recording it is a well defined wall cloud, but the area beneath the abse is already becoming poorly defined. As the cell is passing just north of Edina, it looks very HP with an RFD wrapping (reminds me of Aurora actually), and there seems to be some weird inflow clouds almost at ground level. I think these might be horizontal shear vortexes perhaps being sucked into the tornado but contrast is so poor it's hard to say. This only tends to happen with the bigger tornadoes from what I've seen so I'll be interested in the survey results (Murfreesboro '09 EF4, Quinter '08 Wedge come to mind). NWS reports show the tornado continued rainwrapped as I followed the cell all the way to the river, but I never saw the funnel after that first glimpse before the rain came in... A shame really after such a long day... I didn't even get many lightning shots as the hail kept catching up with me everytime I started to shoot... why did the first one have to hit me in the head, rather than somewhere around me. Luckily only dime size... only borderline severe

Posted

Wow we refueled in anadarko and was going to wait out the storm there but decided to hotel it south of there!!! loads of reports of damage coming in from there, mmm well it was dark storm was right behind us, perhaps a lucky escape!

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Pretty impressive squall line on the radar this morning stretching unbroken along the cold front from Sern Oklahoma NE up to Michigan.

Was actually a report of a tornado from spotters on the cell north of the team last night at Nardin, OK which is just west of the I-35/Blackwell not far from the OK/KS border:

2354 9 S NARDIN KAY OK 3668 9745 RELAYED VIA STORM SPOTTERS AND SEVERAL BROADCAST MEDIA OUTLETS. (OUN)

Could be when this radar grab was taken by Danny further back in the thread showing a TVS:

post-1052-1242285186_thumb.jpg

23 tornado reports: http://www.spc.noaa.gov/climo/reports/today.html

Posted
Just to let you know, I'm ok, although the sting made driving very uncomfortable. A combination of factors meant I got on the storm up near Kirksville late (I picked it up prior to it passing Edina. At that point the big tornado had lifted, but by the time further touchdown reports came in, the RFD had swung round and blocked any chance of me seeing them. I'd positioned south so I could chase the next cell down but that never amounted to anything. I followed the original cell until it stopped being Tor Warned, though I think it finished dropping nado's after crossing the river. Lowlights of today were the bee sting, dump truck blocking road for 15 minutes in with no other route around, me looking at a static image from the Des Moines radar rather than the latest for about 20 minutes after initiation delaying the start of the chase, only sleeping 2 of the 4 hours I was a motel last night due to a noisy fridge before driving 11 hours to the first storm, and standing in a fresh cow pat wearing only my sandals (no socks).. :lol: I still had fun overall though :)

Footage of a close encounter with the Kirksville storm here (Bart Comstock)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ope9pkY9w2E...player_embedded

Although tragically someone has lost their life, I think given the parameters originally progged it could have been much worse especially in N C MO where SRH and shear was maximal.

Posted

Although tragically someone has lost their life, I think given the parameters originally progged it could have been much worse especially in N C MO where SRH and shear was maximal.

Holy **** :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

I s*** myself watching the video! :)

That was like something out of Twister, the last F5 in the film!

Posted

Lucky escape there, alot of debris being thrown around which could quite easily have hit the car or the occupants when they got out.

Posted

That is gobsmacking footage - did they knock the camera or did the car flip right over?

Edited by Sloopy

Posted

Can't start a thread for today (Chase Day 19) but think one is justified (06Z NAM) as I'm looking at a surface flow convergence in the Abilene, TX area at 00Z. For once CIN is not a problem so with ample moisture, mCAPE of 3000+ could easily be realised and make use of albeit weakish shear velocity wise but reasonable SRH of 300+ and surprising EHIs of 3.00 ish nosing in from the northeast.

It could be worth a trip back in TX, especially given potential for Saturday.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Now thats what i like WOW!!!!!!!

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Wow that's scarey and I so nearly clicked to watch that live yesterday but kept up with other severestudios streaming instead as I thought he was just driving through heavy rain. Drat!

Just goes to show how dangerous rain wrapped tornadoes and punching a core can be!

Posted

Me and Martin are heading to Big Springs in a little while, had a busy night we got hit by another storm with hail only marble size here at hotel a mile up the road was egg size lots of broken windows, could have damaged our car quite bad even just sitting in car park.

Anyway starting point today as we only have 2 days left is Big springs and see and adjust on way down, good luck Pauls team.

Posted

I just wanted to update the my post from yesterday: Authorities have found two more bodies. So, the number of people killed in the Kirksville,MO tornado is now 3.