Cold?
IGNORED

Live Streaming Of The Netweather Storm Chase

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Seems much better today, whatever you have done it seems to have worked

Posted

Nothing has been changed since the first day in terms of the player, so I don't really know what the issue can be.

It's working fine here on xp and vista on both ie7 and ie8 too, so again it seems a bit odd that it's not working for you.

It's probably worth quickly grabbing firefox to see if it works with that, if it does we can discount it being a network/firewall issue for you:

http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/firefox/

And as has already been mentioned, you do need to have the latest version of flashplayer (and will need to get this for firefox once you've downloaded it too):

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Seems much better today, whatever you have done it seems to have worked

They're in a better connection area at the moment - which is what the problem always was.

For John/Blackie:

Before you start downloading firefox etc, Just as an initial test, this is the original player page that was used on the first day, please give that a spin and see if it works.

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=chaseliveold;sess=

Posted

We've been getting the odd problem recently with a handful of listeners. Seems that the ISP's are failing to cache DNS properly. One thing to try is this.. http://www.opendns.com This has been clearing streaming problems straight away for our stream on Gem. It's the only thing I can think of if everything is up to date. There are how to's for XP, vista and linux and also routers.

A couple of other things that may help.... goto start then run then type in cmd. Type ipconfig /flushdns and press enter.. That may help with DNS issues..

Also try this.. start then run then type %temp% and delete as much as you can out of the folder that it opens....

Can't really think of anything else...

Posted

I don't think it's a dns thing, but I have a feeling it may be that you've got some old files cached in your browser which is causing the problem - if you clear your temporary files/cookies I think it may help.

Posted

tried that link as you suggested-it does not work same as the others, not keen on Firefox, so I'll simply have to do without any video streaming from NW.

Posted

okay final try then I give up

another fruitless attempt-goodbye storm chase streaming

Posted
  • Location: Carnoustie Angus Scotland. (week days) Dundee (weekends)
  • Location: Carnoustie Angus Scotland. (week days) Dundee (weekends)

I sometimes get the same problem when watching tv shows or movies online, i usually have to set my internet security to a lower setting or pause it. I find it's the ad's that cause it. Dont know if that helps.

Mandy. x

Posted

I've given up with the live streaming too. http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

Tried the DNS approach, but that did nothing. I had already cleared the temporary internet cache before but did it again. Once again, no result.

It is really strange and frustrating, as I was watching the streaming on the first day - and I have the fastest possible broadband connection, which is still giving me around 50meg according to the speed test results (I even got 171 and 246 on a couple of tests!). I can't see how having that installed has caused the problem, as I can watch videos from every other source I try and no other issues with Windows XP. Yet not only can I not view the live NW streaming I still cannot watch any of the briefings.

Like John, I don't want to download Firefox. And as I was watching before on IE7 I don't see that the browser is the issue. Whatever...

Posted

we seem to be going round in circles Blackie-I am going to ask my pc expert on Tuesday what he thinks.

Posted

If you don't want to spend 2 mins just grabbing firefox it's hard to diagnose the issue unfortunately. It's not a widespread issue as thousands of people are watching the streams without issue, so it's likely to be something specific to your setup.

It may be worth briefly turning off any anti-virus/web security you have running to see if that makes any difference, it could be blocking the player.

Posted

I have tried everything you have asked Paul with the exception of FF and as I've explained I'm not prepared to try that, for the present, as I have had it on once and did not like it; and as I've said before everything works with any other site, and I was able to watch the first video without any problem.

So I will speak to my pc expert Tuesday and ask his advice.

Posted

I managed to resolve the issue, thanks to Paul. http://nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

It turned out to be the banner ad blocking on my antivirus, Kaspersky 2009. I can now watch videos when I disable that, then I dimply enable it again. Paul sent me links to the Kaspersky forum with solutions, as it seems to be an issue for a few people trying to watch videos from various sites. I couldn't get the solutions they suggested to work, but now I know how to get it to work I don't mind temporarily disabling the ad blocking from time to time. Now for that elusive tornado...

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

I had exactly the same problem with my Kaspersky Security, and now watching the streaming after disabling the Ad Blocker. Hopefully will be the reason why some others haven't been able to load it too.

Posted

did that and no joy even cleaned tempo internet files and restarted the pc-no joy

Posted

The team will again be streaming live today (in fact it's live already), although network coverage in parts of Texas and Oklahoma isn't great, we've done a lot of work to make the stream work better in the slower/patchier connection areas. So although it may drop out when the connection goes from time to time, when there is a connection, even if it's slow, it should stream a lot better than it may have done in the first few days.

Posted

Just as a quick note, in the slower connection areas it does take a little while longer to connect you to the stream, so if you get the ad and then the spinning disc, it could take 30 secs/1 min to connect in some instances so just be a little patient if that's what you're seeing :D

Posted

For those who want to follow the drive, the team are now on the road up into Oklahoma and are streaming it live:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=chaselive;sess=

They also now have the facility to update twitter while on the road, so can keep you even more upto date via the app on the streaming page or if you're a twitter user you can follow them here:

http://www.twitter.com/Netweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms and extreme weather

everytime I log on to the live stream the tour is at a filling station :)