Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What kit do you use?

Posted
  • Location: Shortlands, Nr Bromley, Kent (could be Greater London, never quite sure!)
  • Location: Shortlands, Nr Bromley, Kent (could be Greater London, never quite sure!)

I have:

1) Olympus OM1 (film) plus everal OM lenses, got it for my 18th birthday and took it to Kenya on my first Safari - still love those pics

2) Olympus OM10 (film) - same lenses, took them both to Alaska and was highly disappointed with the results - they just didn't "look" right.

3) Canon EOS30 (film) my first autofocus camera, several lenses, took the kit with me to Africa twice and a few other places - best shots yet.

4) Canon 350D - same lenses - used it to shoot my raptor shots etc last year and loved every second of it except for the frame rate and high noise levels so before I went to India last November I got:

5) Canon 40D - best camera I've ever owned. All my shots in the March competition were taken with this and:

Sigma 50-500 (called the Bigma) - got it because I couldn't justify £5000 on a new 600L F4

Canon 100 Macro

Canon 10-22 wide angle

Canon kit lenses (too many to mention).

I will end up owning a large prime telephoto but not for a while yet...

DS

• 5 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!
I have:

1) Olympus OM1 (film) plus everal OM lenses, got it for my 18th birthday and took it to Kenya on my first Safari - still love those pics

2) Olympus OM10 (film) - same lenses, took them both to Alaska and was highly disappointed with the results - they just didn't "look" right.

3) Canon EOS30 (film) my first autofocus camera, several lenses, took the kit with me to Africa twice and a few other places - best shots yet.

4) Canon 350D - same lenses - used it to shoot my raptor shots etc last year and loved every second of it except for the frame rate and high noise levels so before I went to India last November I got:

5) Canon 40D - best camera I've ever owned. All my shots in the March competition were taken with this and:

Sigma 50-500 (called the Bigma) - got it because I couldn't justify £5000 on a new 600L F4

Canon 100 Macro

Canon 10-22 wide angle

Canon kit lenses (too many to mention).

I will end up owning a large prime telephoto but not for a while yet...

DS

That's an impressive list DS.

At the moment I have...

Canon 350D, Canon 450D, Sony H9, plus a 300mm Sigma lens for the Canon.

I've only just got the 450D and i'm selling the 350D, I don't use the H9 much either.

Very impressed by the 450D so far. B)

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

So, Canon announce the new EOS 1000D. I can't see it is much better than my current 400D other than the new AF system and live monitor view (useful but not essential).

What do people think?

7846-EOS1000D3quart500.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.
So, Canon announce the new EOS 1000D. I can't see it is much better than my current 400D other than the new AF system and live monitor view (useful but not essential).

What do people think?

7846-EOS1000D3quart500.jpg

I think it will be less reliable than your current camera which is pretty rugged and survivable.

I may be wrong there though. If surplus stock from previous production runs were used, global belt tightening and all that :D

I would hate to think they would economize on the body, which I think is perfect regarding grip and handling on the 350 let alone the 400/450 which I have never had the pleasure of holding as I rarely frequent Towns let alone camera shops.

OK I prefer house brick size and weight camera body's, but I am what you would call a busy amateur photographer who happens to use pictures as part of his work. Its a hobby which I have spent a lot/most of my recreational moneys on.

Here is a comparison:- http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon_1000D/page2.asp (started at page 2)

Russ

Edited by Rustynailer

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

I thought that was a joke at first and the photo was photoshopped to create the 1000D :rolleyes:

I've never heard of that before.

I have the 450D and the 1000D fits in below that so i'm not too bothered.

Seems like a very good camera though and smaller and lighter. I can see it being very popular.

Posted
I thought that was a joke at first and the photo was photoshopped to create the 1000D :rolleyes:

I've never heard of that before.

I have the 450D and the 1000D fits in below that so i'm not too bothered.

Seems like a very good camera though and smaller and lighter. I can see it being very popular.

It fits in quite well as people who expect to pay a couple of hundred pounds plus for a good point and shoot, will now get the choice of an SLR with interchangeable lenses, some of which are IS. The IS bit certainly makes life easier if one is on holiday, drinking a cocktail and still being able to get a steady shot :lol: OK so a good number of point and shoot cameras are fitted with IS these days. I would still choose an SLR over one of those, grip is much better and the option of changing the lenses. Re sale value is usually good too compared to point and shoots.

Russ

Posted

If anyone cares,

My primary weapon of choice ...

Canon 30D

my most commonly used lens (and one of my faves)

... EFS 17-85 IS-USM lens ...

-= Ø =- for some example shots :wallbash:

Edited by opplevelse

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Not sure if this is the best place to put this, but for once a good report on after sales back up!

My Canon A70 compact packed up last week, no photo in the display after picture taken. Its not a bad little unit so I thought it would be worth repairing as its only four years old (and handy for when I don't want the bulk of the Canon DSLR).

I phoned Canon to see what arrangements could be made and a very nice young lady asked me to describe the problem and acknowledged that this was a general fault across the range and to send it to an authorised repair centre to diagnose it with a possible FOC repair! (yes even out of warranty and four years later!) I sent the camera off to Colchester Camera Repair Service on Saturday and it turned up yesterday, repaired with a new CCD for free! :drunk:

Gold star to Canon, I'm glad I purchased the 400D, as it looks like any issues I might have in the future can be resolved quite quickly without too much fuss.

Recommended :lol:

Posted

I love my Canon Rebel Xti....Takes a while to get used to the many features....

Thinking of getting a wide angle lens for weather pics

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

I have updated from the D50 to the D300 - what a camera the 300 is. I use it with a Nikon f4 300mm and Kenko Pro-series 1.4x teleconverter for wildlife shots, the Nikon 18-55 VR for landscape and portraits and two Macro lenses - a Sigma 24mm and a Sigma 150mm for insects.

• 1 month later...
Posted

I updated from a Canon 5d to a Ids Mk 3 the other week. Not been on the forum much cos I have been busy at work and out playing with the worlds most powerful DSLR.

Cost £4700. (sold two tractors) No more camera stuff for a few months, till the Mrs has a new kitchen.

Got a new 500gb hard drive as the tiff files are 128mb a shot ;)

Hope to post some weather shots soon, off out taking pictures now in the glorious sunshine. :)

Russ

• 1 month later...
Posted

That Canon is a beast, Rusty - almost made me want to switch from Nikon!

I said almost!

Got rid of my two macros and the nikon 300 prime and replaced with the Sigma 150-500 os hsm, which has had mixed reviews, but I've found it to be excellent and the OS is very useful on that big a zoom. Also picked up a tamron 19-35 zoom for landscape and street photography and just picked up the older tamron 90mm macro, which is more useable than the sigma 150, is beautifuly sharp and has lovely, smooth bokeh.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

does anyone have a speacial waterproof cover for a camera(canon)when taking pics

Do they exist....Cant find anything on this

some rubber wet suit :)

Edited by dogs42

Posted

CHEERS louby,

After a drenching this year of nearly destroying my camera I thought I better get something like a water proof set for storm chase next year..

many thanks....

Posted
if you get one let me know whether its worth the money :D

I will do.

I will have to get one at some point...Im glad they are cheap though...I was expecting them to be more expensive.

I take it you stick your head under the cover and shoot away..lol.....

At least I hope it will do the job

Edited by dogs42

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

Canon 40D here with a Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 lens, and the trusty Canon 50mm F1.8. I'm very happy with the Sigma lens but the draw towards an L series Canon is quite high. I also need to look into purchasing my first telephoto lens as I had great fun trying to photo flying pigeons whilst waiting at the train station the other day, and it seems a shame not to with a great bird sanctuary just down the coast. The prices of these L series lenses is just shocking though. I really think I need to get better at photography first so that I can actually get full use of such a lens <_< If I did get an L series lens, I'd imagine it would stay with me for life however...

Posted
Canon 40D here with a Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 lens, and the trusty Canon 50mm F1.8. I'm very happy with the Sigma lens but the draw towards an L series Canon is quite high. I also need to look into purchasing my first telephoto lens as I had great fun trying to photo flying pigeons whilst waiting at the train station the other day, and it seems a shame not to with a great bird sanctuary just down the coast. The prices of these L series lenses is just shocking though. I really think I need to get better at photography first so that I can actually get full use of such a lens :lol: If I did get an L series lens, I'd imagine it would stay with me for life however...

Hi Gorky, I also have the Canon 40D Its a fantastic camera :lol: I have a standard 18-55mm kit lens a Canon macro 100mm (brilliant) and a Canon 400mm 5.6 L prime (outstanding and cheap!) I want the 800mm L but at 10,000 not just yet <_<

I am thinking about getting the sigma 10-20 is it any good?

Edited by Slinky

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

I have absolutely no complaints about it. At it's price range I was told it was one of the better options and when I use it correctly, the results are great. I've primarily used it outdoors and it shoots some great landscapes. It also seems pretty robust too, although I may have got lucky with the lens hood taking the brunt of two wind related tripod knockovers, both onto tarmac! Who knew photographing tornadic supercells could be so blustery... B)

You would probably be better asking someone who has a bit more experience than me for their ideas though as I dived in the deep end and am still getting to grips with the camera, lens and eveything they are capable of!

Posted
I have absolutely no complaints about it. At it's price range I was told it was one of the better options and when I use it correctly, the results are great. I've primarily used it outdoors and it shoots some great landscapes. It also seems pretty robust too, although I may have got lucky with the lens hood taking the brunt of two wind related tripod knockovers, both onto tarmac! Who knew photographing tornadic supercells could be so blustery... :)

You would probably be better asking someone who has a bit more experience than me for their ideas though as I dived in the deep end and am still getting to grips with the camera, lens and eveything they are capable of!

Thanks for the advice Gorky :) Sounds like a winner to me, have googled some images taken by this lens and they look good! Will let ya know when I get one and post up the first few attempts for you to laugh at :doh:

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

Well, I decided I needed a second body before I went off on Safari, so having debated whether I could afford the Nikon D700 (I couldn't even get close) I settled on a D90 to go with the D300 I already have. I wasn't too keen to go back to the 60/80/90 bodies because I'm used to the options that the mid-range nikon bodies give you, but I was very impressed with it (and a D80 I tried) when I went in the shop. Also picked up a v. cheap Sigma 35-125 zoom (2nd hand - not a brilliant lens, but fills a zoom gap in the collection) and the 50mm Nikon superfast f1.4, which is outstanding in low light.

• 1 month later...
Posted

I've downgraded, and I love it.

I did have a Canon EOS 400D with an 18-200 and 70-350mm lenses, but I sold that before Christmas, with the intention being on replacing it with a compact, but one with full manual controls. Today, I found myself needing one, so I had to resort to Jessops, but they had the three I was interested in; The Lumx LX3, The Nikon P6000 and the Canon G10. Because of its wider ranging zoom, and the fact it's got a proper viewfinder (although not ttl), I opted for the Canon.

I now have a camera with decent image quality, a versatile, wide-angled zoom, without the need to carry around different lenses or bulky bodies.

Just look at one of the exciting images I've taken with it this afternoon. I couldn't have dreamt of a better shot - honest (resized to 1024x768).

post-717-1233079114_thumb.jpg

Edited by Osbourne One-Nil

Posted

You could have at least waited for a class 92 on an intermodal service to Mossend to pass by Ozzy.

Where's your sense of adventure?! Tsk.

• UK Storm and Severe Convective Forecast

UK Severe Convective & Storm Forecast - Issued 2024-03-29 07:13:16 Valid: 29/03/2024 0600 - 30/03/2024 0600 THUNDERSTORM WATCH - FRI 29 MARCH 2024 Click here for the full forecast

Nick F
    Nick F
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Difficult travel conditions as the Easter break begins

Low Nelson is throwing wind and rain at the UK before it impacts mainland Spain at Easter. Wild condtions in the English Channel, and more rain and lightning here on Thursday. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts

UK Storm and Severe Convective Forecast

UK Severe Convective & Storm Forecast - Issued 2024-03-28 09:16:06 Valid: 28/03/2024 0800 - 29/03/2024 0600 SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH - THURS 28 MARCH 2024 Click here for the full forecast

Nick F
    Nick F