Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The 13th of June enigma

Posted

any equivalent in winter guys? eg certain date never being an ice day anywhere between 01 Dec and 28th Feb

Not an ice day but the 25th January has never recorded a maximum of 14.0C or above. The highest maximum that day is 13.9C and that was set in 1997. The next highest was 13.6C set in 1977 and 1983 for that date.

Every date in the calendar has at least once recorded a maximum of 14.0C or above except the 25th of January.

Edited by Mr_Data
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
Posted

Not an ice day but the 25th January has never recorded a maximum of 14.0C or above. The highest maximum that day is 13.9C and that was set in 1997. The next highest was 13.6C set in 1977 and 1983 for that date.

Every date in the calendar has at least once recorded a maximum of 14.0C or above except the 25th of January.

I guess that would coincide with the coldest average high temperature for the year? I'm not sure if I'm correct, but I suspect that late January is the coldest part of the year. I know in the US that the last week in January is generally considered the depths of winter, with early February bringing a slow but steady rise in average maxima and minima.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
Posted

No 30C for the 13th June 2012

No surprise the record remains intact for another year!

It was a struggle to get to 13c nevermind 30c

Incidentally,what is the coldest temperature for the 13th of June?

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

there are always these anomalies in statistics,is there not something similar in winter or the other way1947 is the only year that 30 has been reached in every month mat to september

may to september

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
Posted

Looks safe for another year.

Looked touch and go there for a while but it would seem so. Possible date record however?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Surprised late Aug has reached 30C, first half of june and 2nd half Aug surely coolest parts of summer

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

when is the first day after summer that has not recorded 30c?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Surprised late Aug has reached 30C, first half of june and 2nd half Aug surely coolest parts of summer

The UK record for September is 35.6C - so it isn't surprising at all.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

July and August are the two warmest months of the year.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
Posted

We came very close last year when the 12th of June recorded maxima into the 30s but the following day, nowhere got above 26C and its looks safe again for another year.

The closest we have come in recent years to it falling, just 24hrs too early.

Posted

Even more strange or just Statistics,the earliest date that 28.3 was breached was 16th of April 1949 with 29.4 deg with that figure not being breached as the highest temp of the year until almost a Month later on the 12th of May!!!

re this The area around Doncaster is very low lying (<10m amsl in places), in the lee of the Pennines when a W'ly/Sw'ly blows, and far enough inland not to be plagued by haar etc- surely it could be a hotspot if conditions were right? Similarly east Northants- almost at sea level yet 50-odd miles inland; surely it ought to be warmer than the likes of Gravesend in summer? I'll look in the 10 year records for here and the 50+years for RAF Finningley and see what that date shows up. Its not that often that this area seems to be the hottest place, rare in fact, or even the coldest. The area se and east of Nottingham, from my recollection of time at RCAF Langar in the Vale of Belvoir, seemed more prone to that kind of thing? and this comment which seems to have sparked the above comment I've partly replied to Sorry, I've never bought that one. I only really think temperatures from about 1945 are worth trusting. I have to say that is an unfair and unfounded comment. As someone involved professionally with Met stations, one being the area(Doncaster) you refer to I can assure you that the rigorous checks were just as rigorous prior to 1945 as post 1945, so that remark is totally incorrect. E mail the Met Office and ask if they would care to comment. the site at Bawtry, to my knowledge, was never really accepted as a full official site, even though it had a Met Office responsible to No 1 Bomber Command for many years. I may be wrong but I will try and check. ref the record for RAF Finningley for September it is 30.0C on 5th September 1949

Finningley / Robin Hood airport does often record temperatures which are a match for any further south and higher than elsewhere in the north. It is quite favourably located though sometimes it does seem to record slightly too high if compared to Gringley-on-the-hill less than 7 miles away to the south-east and only about 60 metres higher.

Weathercast have data for both sites - Finningley http://www.weathercast.co.uk/world-weather/weather-stations/obsid/3360.html

Gringley-on-the-Hill http://www.weathercast.co.uk/world-weather/weather-stations/obsid/99151.html

RE UHIs: I'd be inclined to agree if London was the only large urban area in the UK- but it isn't and besides rural Kent and Surrey (plus semi-rural Heathrow which must be at best on the fringe of the heat island) have provided many of the most recent SE-focused records. Perhaps the saving grace of summer 2007 was that the SE missed out on the heat as well (Hampstead's highest temperature was only 28.9, and it didn't top 25 in June or July which has been unheard of around London in recent summers though quite normal outside the SE), but it took some highly unusual conditions to achieve that whereas pre-1990 it was quite common.

With periods of continental warmth, the south-east in generally is naturally normally most affected. With regards to UHI however, it is the largest in the country and unfortunately others just don't have a similar number of official weather stations for fair comparison. Heathrow is not really semi-rural, but it seems to have other issues anyway regarding siting and exposure when temperatures are compared to nearby Northolt.

Posted

Finningley / Robin Hood airport does often record temperatures which are a match for any further south and higher than elsewhere in the north. It is quite favourably located though sometimes it does seem to record slightly too high if compared to Gringley-on-the-hill less than 7 miles away to the south-east and only about 60 metres higher.

Weathercast have data for both sites - Finningley http://www.weatherca...obsid/3360.html

Gringley-on-the-Hill http://www.weatherca...bsid/99151.html

Gringley will almost always record a touch lower due to its height but I seem to remember some correspondence when I was at RAF Finningley from UK Met about their exposure. It was not one of the volunteer sites I had responsibility for. Mind you the exposure at Robin Hood is quite different to where it ever sited when it was RAF Finningley. This alone may cause differences. I never did get round to checking the highest in September-will do it now.

It is 30.0C 5 September 1949.

Edited by johnholmes

• 11 months later...
Posted
On 5 October 2011 at 21:37, Weather-history said:

That went this year 

• Like 2

Posted

The first day of the year to hit 30 deg is 12th may.The days after that failed were 13,15,16,17,19,2 and 26th as well as 13th of June.The first day not to reach 30 was 13th sept but 6 days after that reached 30 as late as 27th sept.

• Like 2

Posted

Interesting also that 16th April made 29.4 deg and it took 26 days later for that to be exceeded being 12th May [first 30 deg] !!

• Like 2

• 11 months later...