Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Day 20 Discussion

pottyprof

Posted

Looking interesting around the El Paso area at the moment with a large cell moving NNE.

post-1669-1179565823_thumb.jpg

post-1669-1179565848_thumb.png

I wonder if today could produce an interesting day for the lads?

Posted

Just edited the topic title slightly, Steves group are currently heading towards the Slight Risk in Montana today, whereas we will play around the Texas Panhandle and Eastern New Mexico today and tomorrow. So our Base is the BIG Texan in Amarillo where we have booked in for tonight already, leave cases here and head out this afternoon "IF" Things become interesting, if not we will hope the Sun decides to Shine and we can sit in the Sun!! Although yesterday only got to 55f here, cannot remember a year where temps have been so low!

Paul & Ian

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Well the temps are progged to reach upper 80's El Paso and lower 80's Amarillo, so a very warm day might get a thunderstorm with that low just to the SW.. Good hunting!!

Posted

hi paul an ian,

WHO WON THE CUP, :clap: WHO WON THE CUP :wallbash:

CHELSEA ,CHELSEA :drinks:

CHELSEA WON THE CUP :drinks:

just had to get it out of my system hope you ok, ian just thought id let you know little sis chelsey got the prefect GOD HELP SEDGEHILL NOW :good:

take care see you soon x

Posted

Will pass that onto Ian, we currently have a Ramp out of our room straight into the Big Texan Restuarant, they are just about to roll Ian back up from last nights meal :wallbash::drinks: Good old Didier Drogba, although the announcer on the Tv over here just said, "Chelsea beat the Manchester by 1 to None" They have not got a clue about Socher

Going to head west soon

Paul & Ian

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Looks like plenty of 32oz Beers for Ian tonight then, and a good steak meal.

Looks like some upslope convection kicking off over SErn NM and around the TX border near El Paso, and perhaps further NE towards the I-40:

post-1052-1179596432_thumb.jpg

post-1052-1179596288_thumb.pngpost-1052-1179596295_thumb.png

Might be a worth a drive West down the I-40 towards the NM border.

Posted

Yep,

We are about to embark west down the I40 Towards Tucumcari (New Mexcio) will be going 1 hour behind again!! Hopeful of some nice Structure today, Satelite shows clearing skies to the west of Us at present. Wish me luck with my Barons Operator!! Nick knows what I mean

Paul

Posted
Wish me luck with my Barons Operator!! Nick knows what I mean

Paul

Thought Ian would have got the hang of using the Barons by now! Otherwise with fairly clear skies, you should get a good indication over Ern New Mexico where in direction to head for the best storms to chase.

Posted

With all this time at the Big Texan you might want to warn Ian he might be subjected to the 'sniffer' test at DFW security. They seem to withhold that pleasure for the more....... portly people.

I was subjected to one of these but, with my slight frame, I still don't understand why! :wallbash:

Stewart

p.s. Perhaps you should let Ian drive and you operate the Barons? :drinks::drinks:

Posted
Thought Ian would have got the hang of using the Barons by now! Otherwise with fairly clear skies, you should get a good indication over Ern New Mexico where in direction to head for the best storms to chase.

Only Kidding Nick, Actually Ian is Very Good with the Barons, guided me down Dirt roads in Colorado the other day with 5 areas of Rotation on the Baron just 5-10 miles to our West. Coincidentally have been looking at the Greensburg Updraught more closely and listening to the chatter in the car from that DV Video on the DashCam, will try to upload it when I get better Broadband speed, interesting conversations between me and Nick at about 815pm, about 90 minutes before the EF5

Paul

Posted

Sounds interesting Paul.. Can't wait to hear it..

Today's target.

post-1669-1179598634_thumb.jpg

Posted

Oh dear, me dismissing that Northern storm originally when we saw the updarfts to the West, only for the North storm to suddenly go ballistic on the radar as we headed for the Southern LP supercells which were looking good at first only to be dying by the time we got them and Ian lost his camera. Great pictures nonetheless of those LP supercells, but the storms way to the North by that time were marching towards Greensburg with an EF5 wedge beneath. Lessons learnt :wallbash:

Be good to hear that conversation though.

Posted

I would also be fascinated to hear the 2 of you talking when we were coming down, and coming back from, the experience with the rain wrapped wedge and the infamous county road!

Stewart

Posted

I dont think we were Dismissing that Storm Nick, did'nt pick that up on the Video at all, just an interesting comment when we saw that Rock Hard Solid Updraught, think we both said at one point "That Storm Needs to be Watched" the funny bit on the Video was when Ian saw the 1st Cg near the Beavers Tail and we all took the Ho hum$ out of the Storm :wallbash::drinks: Little did we know eh

Paul S

Posted

There's been a nice discussion going on over on storm track about the way it turned left before resuming course.. Not sure if you've had chance to read any of it Guys??

http://www.stormtrack.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12314

Starts at about page 6

Posted

Well, to reminisce of that moment when we saw the updrafts of the storm that went on later to drop a EF5 wedge over Greensburg, here's a photo taken of it looking West as we headed South - includes Beavers tail inflow:

post-1052-1179599067_thumb.jpg

Posted

Today looks best around Santa Rosa to Vaughn NM with convection already drifting northeast off mountains near Ruidoso.

No frontal or upper dynamics to suggest more than moderate to heavy activity and wind profile very slack mainly SSW 10-20 knots so anything that does develop should drift rather slowly north to northeast.

Posted
There's been a nice discussion going on over on storm track about the way it turned left before resuming course.. Not sure if you've had chance to read any of it Guys??

http://www.stormtrack.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12314

Starts at about page 6

Yes Have seen that Paul, love looking at the analysis after the event on these things, I still believe that the storm went west to interact with a Dryline Bulge just South East of Dodge City, this clearly showed up on Barons, the dryline was in retreat at this time and this is why i believe our storms went to crap as they simply left the Dryline.

Paul S

Posted

Sitting just near the New mexico Border at present, MD Issued for Southern New Mexico, dont really want to go too far into the Hills as we are booked in at Amarillo, so the next few hours we will sit and wait for something to fire ahead of the Mountain Crapfest!! If not then a jaunt back on the I40. Temp has hit the mid seventies in clear skies now. If anyone has any ideas we will be online for a while, currently at a Best Western nicking their Wifi

Paul

Posted

Havin' a look mate.. bet you're wathcing some sleazy tornado chase footage. :wallbash:

Posted

Currently only about 80 miles from that storm to our North West and deciding wether or not to go for it or wait a bit longer and see if anything fires more nearer to us, SPC Weather Radio still saying the area we are sat at will produce in the next few hours, decisions decisions :wallbash:

Paul

Posted

post-1669-1179610009_thumb.jpg

I'd say if anything was going to fire you are just about in the right area.. Couple of heavy bits near Las Vegas..

post-1669-1179610827_thumb.png

Hopefully these are the ones you are talking about Paul.

Posted

Heres latest from around Santa Rosa,

By the way i txt when u were chasing those storms which eventually dropped that wedge on Greensburg i said they had split of into 3 and i said that the south cell was diminishing and the north cell was gaining in strength but i was quite relieved that you had decided to go on the south cell coz that became as the NWS quoted , An 'emergency' situation.. Heres an image of the path of the 'Greensburg' tornado , it can be clearly seen that it went of the west, quickly replaced by another tornado,(or the same one) when does a dying tornado cease then another take its place, me personally would call it the same one, something strange did happen,over Greensburg, for a tornado that was so strong to die that quickly and then to be replaced almost immediately by another that went on to be almost 2mile wide its clear on the image that when it touched down over Greensburg 2nd time the tornado was a massive wedge straight away, dont make much sense to me, things went on in that storm that night that will certainly be the topic of many a storm professional and amateur alike, i have my own idea's of what might have happened but i'll keep em to myself! lol.

Posted

If these are the storms that Paul and Ian are on, they are slow movers and clear from the east so hopefully some great shots..

post-1669-1179618244_thumb.png

My thoughts are its down to the amount of debris.. The amount of infrastructure that was blowing around would perhaps return a false echo?? :rolleyes:

Eyup NL