Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Countryfile / Country Tracks / Landward Forecast Thread

J10

Posted

Mild and wet "very wet" for the north of scotland for a time this week then "something cooler" for the weekend. The rest of us have the usual mix of strong gales wet and very mild conditions to look forward to for the time of year. Maybe touching 13C - 14 C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Hot Summer days

This weeks forecast from Countryfile in 3gp format (10.4MB)

requires Quicktime should be viewable via browser

Link will be unavailable after 17-12-06

Edited by button-wales

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Anyone see this weeks forecast as I forgot to set the timer.

Posted
Anyone see this weeks forecast as I forgot to set the timer.

Apart from a weak front bringing rain to the SW areas tonight/tomorrow, then another weak front in the far N later in the week, this week will be dry and chilly under a large HIGH pressure. Lots of cloud making it a 'forecasters nightmare' (quote from Peter Gibbs' presenting) with patchy fog & frost where cloud breaks overnight and some sunshine possible where cloud breaks in the daytime. Max temps 5-8c on the whole, maybe up to 10c in the SW tomorrow and again in the far N as Atlantic winds blow in on Thursday.

In short ; a cloudy, cool, anticyclonic week.

Posted
Apart from a weak front bringing rain to the SW areas tonight/tomorrow, then another weak front in the far N later in the week, this week will be dry and chilly under a large HIGH pressure. Lots of cloud making it a 'forecasters nightmare' (quote from Peter Gibbs' presenting) with patchy fog & frost where cloud breaks overnight and some sunshine possible where cloud breaks in the daytime. Max temps 5-8c on the whole, maybe up to 10c in the SW tomorrow and again in the far N as Atlantic winds blow in on Thursday.

In short ; a cloudy, cool, anticyclonic week.

Ah well 5c - 8c I wouldn't call chilly considering the timne of year but what we've been used it will seem like it. I thought this week would be rather uneventful somehow.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

what an absolutely first class presentation today by Peter Gibbs.

Not the weather that cold lovers would wish to see but I defy anyone to complain about the quality of the presentation.

Out to Friday with an Atlantic synoptic chart, not static, but the developing situation being run through on the graphics. So fronts, lows, highs, along with the isobars for each day, then a UK chart showing rainfall moving across followed by temperatures, and throughout his own summation for each day.

Probably about the best I have seen.

Yes, the Atlantic continues to dominate as the GFS runs show. A few brief colder interludes shown, with snow clearly visible on the ppn maps, chiefly for northern and western hills but shown as far south as northern England around mid week. But the main emphasis is for rain and wind with Wales highlighted as probably the worst affected area not just today but through the week for high rainfall.

John

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

He added that this might be the end of the low pressure systems coming in, he never went beyond friday? But as you said the gfs continues the low pressure theme. A change may be starting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It's a shame they don't put the Countryfile forecasts up on the BBC website (or if they do, I can't find it); I'd be very interested to see a top-quality national forecast with these graphics. From seeing the improvement in the regional forecasts I've always suspected that it is possible.

I've always rated Peter Gibbs highly on the Countryfile forecasts- I remember he used to do very good ones when I last watched BBC forecasts regularly.

Posted
what an absolutely first class presentation today by Peter Gibbs.

Not the weather that cold lovers would wish to see but I defy anyone to complain about the quality of the presentation.

Out to Friday with an Atlantic synoptic chart, not static, but the developing situation being run through on the graphics. So fronts, lows, highs, along with the isobars for each day, then a UK chart showing rainfall moving across followed by temperatures, and throughout his own summation for each day.

Probably about the best I have seen.

Yes, the Atlantic continues to dominate as the GFS runs show. A few brief colder interludes shown, with snow clearly visible on the ppn maps, chiefly for northern and western hills but shown as far south as northern England around mid week. But the main emphasis is for rain and wind with Wales highlighted as probably the worst affected area not just today but through the week for high rainfall.

John

Couldn't agree more John. A top forecast by the top forecaster.

Posted

I've tried uploading this weeks forecast its in .asf (requires Windows Media Player), please reply if it has worked.

This weeks forecast (21.1MB)

Edited by button-wales

Posted

I agree with some others, today's forecast was excellently presented.

He added that this might be the end of the low pressure systems coming in, he never went beyond friday?

Yes I like the way he said about Friday's LOW, and I quote, "it looks like this might be the last". Really confident about it :rolleyes: , made me think that he wants some wintry weather.

Posted
Yes I like the way he said about Friday's LOW, and I quote, "it looks like this might be the last". Really confident about it :) , made me think that he wants some wintry weather.

Mind you its a very open statement without a timeline....last for a day, a week,...ever :rolleyes:

Good work BW, be good to do that every week.

Posted

Good Forecast. Interesting that normal temps get the cold treatment which shows how used to the milder weather we're getting. Scotland should see some the White Stuff, I don't hold much hope further south though.

Posted

Since I'm currently only on the 256k package - I found out the other day that by paying £1 less a month to Tiscali (!!), I could upgrade to 2mb. So downloading that file should be a bit quicker than 20 inutes in future! Thanks for popping it in here BW :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Well done to Button-Wales- it was good to see that one.

I can only agree with the positive comments.

Interestingly, I remember suggesting in the BBC Graphics thread that the best way to get a compromise between providing information and keeping the general public's interest high may be to get straight to discussing the upcoming weather, and provide synoptic analysis mostly of the form: synoptic situation for day 2, forecast for day 2, synoptic for day 3, forecast for day 3, and so on.

There's no better way to illustrate what I meant by the above, than by seeing this Countryfile forecast- it's exactly the kind of thing I was thinking of, put into excellent use.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
unedited version may have sounded too egotistical

Posted

yes tk very much for that BW.

Can we ask you to do that each Sunday?

John

Posted
yes tk very much for that BW.

Can we ask you to do that each Sunday?

John

I'll try, hopefully I will be able to do this most weeks.

A very good forecast, Peter does seem to be the best at doing the week ahead forecasts IMO.