Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Countryfile / Country Tracks / Landward Forecast Thread

J10

Posted

Yes yet another 'mild' week in the offing with temps in the range of 16/17C in the north to 22C at first in the south dipping towards nearer normal values of 18C by Friday, extrodinary how the presenters each week of this forecast this month have not in the slightest mentioned how warm this month has been, it would be quite a different story if it was cold!

• 2 weeks later...

Well it won't be sunshine all week,but tommorow and tuesday will be very warm for the time of year and quite sunny.It may be more unsettled mid-week,but there's a sign of more settled weather coming in as we reach the end of the week,with a hint of easterlys coming in.Temperatures very warm in the south from monday to wedensday with temperatures reaching 20C and over,still warm towards the end of the week but to a less dramatic extent,highs in the south around 18C for thursday and friday.

Edited by Bham Chris

Posted

A good country file forecast again and a good forecaster. Did say alot of uncertinity for the north"battle ground" . The highest hills and summits may/will get snow. Low pressure takes over and gives us asoutherly flow of wet n windy weather! The cold seems to stay north of scotland, but shetland gets the cold 7C midday values.

But after friday is what wasnt shown!!! Whos to say that low doesnt move south east and pull down all the cold air right accross the uk?

Posted
So basically yet another mild forecast.For at least the 10th week in a row now :) .

Me thinks a lot longer than that Chris, here in the south daytime temps have not really dropped below 17oC since way back in May, been a long long warm southern half of the country the longest i can remember, and with temps still about and above 17oC in October its been a positively tropical year.

LO

Edited by Luton Observation

Me thinks a lot longer than that Chris, here in the south daytime temps have not really dropped below 17oC since way back in May, been a long long warm southern half of the country the longest i can remember, and with temps still about and above 17oC in October its been a positively tropical year.

LO

I mean since early September,because August was average,so it wasn't mild/warm for the time of year.So I'm exeggerating slightly.But yes it's been generally very warm since June.Desperate to see a colder countryfile forecast.Maybe next week's eh B)

Edited by Bham Chris

Posted

Rain rain wind wind, a brief taste of winter in the north then rain rain wind wind...excuse me!

But Rob so wanted that cold to come south, as he said " its not as cold as it could be" :)

Another very mild week from the Midlands downwards,a bit cooler up north for a brief time this week.How exciting :) .Temperatures will constantly remain in the mid-teens throughout.There's a hint at temperatures going down to a more normal level by the end of the week but that could change easily and no doubt it will.

Edited by Bham Chris

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Only poor bit was the mention of cold and then the temps in Scotland were still in double figures. Still he corrected that later saying it isn't as cold as it should be. Strange forecast sounded bemused over the continuing mild weather.

Edited by The PIT

Only poor bit was the mention of cold and then the temps in Scotland were still in double figures. Still he corrected that later saying it isn't as cold as it should be. Strange forecast sounded bemused over the continuing mild weather.

Yes I think our Rob sounded fed up with the mild weather,sounded annoyed when saying no frosts anywhere in the near future.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Did anyone see the Country file forecast. I recorded it in theory the video plus got screwed up and the recorded two programs instead and choppe3d the forecast off after Wednesday.

Did anyone see the Country file forecast. I recorded it in theory the video plus got screwed up and the recorded two programs instead and choppe3d the forecast off after Wednesday.

Well I haven't seen it either but a friend mine has and said it would turn colder by mid-week,and a widespread groundfrost is expected by thursday.We'll see anyway if it comes off.

Posted

Ground frost Wednesday night, temps 2-6C north to south England.

Air frost Thursday night, temps 0 C for north, west, and central England, but a little higher at 3C for E Anglia and SE.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Kirsty McCabe presented the Landward Scottish forecast for the week ahead. The most significant feature being a very active warm front moving up from the south midweek (although there was the added caveat that the track of this was uncertain), and the potential for severe gales overnight Thursday.

The synoptics show the complex area of low pressure always over Ireland and Scotland to the mild side - indeed e'ly winds on Thursday as that low sinks south. The forecast ended with the comment that there is 'potential for a very stormy end to the week'.

Posted

That's really interesting Julian - the word 'snow' featured but once in the Scottish forecast - and that was for Tuesday daytime, as a passing mention regarding blustery showers for the highest mountains.

Posted

countryfile 19th nov 06

peter gibbs forecasted very wet and windy tonight and tommorow.storm force winds in the north west of scotland. drier on tuesday with showers again turning to snow across high ground. he then said tuesday night into wednesday could be interesting when the next active front moves in and bumps against the cold air across the uk it could turn to snow anywere midlands northwards. and then through the week changeable staying chilly right through the week :rolleyes:

Posted

Peter also mentioned a lot this week depends on where the jet goes... not sure I have heard them mention the jet on the general forecast before. SHows that they are still (as are the models) unsure how far south it will track.

Interestingly he avoided putting up temps for Tuesday which looks by far the coldest day of the week, by Weds the South is back in double figures on the CFile forecast.

A heads up given for the potentially stormy end to the week.

Posted
countryfile 19th nov 06

Storm force winds in the north west of scotland.

I havn`t seen storm force mentioned on the bbc weather for qute a few years.

Peter [...] avoided putting up temps for Tuesday which looks by far the coldest day of the week,

Hi Snowmaiden, I just came back and watched it on replay and I hate to beg to differ but he definitely showed temps for Tuesday.

To be honest the most remarkable thing about the forecast for me was his attire. I'm not saying I'm against 'casual' on TV at all, but the white t-shirt underneath the sweater was an unusual look for television I thought. Very 'dressed down' for Sunday and all that.

Posted
Hi Snowmaiden, I just came back and watched it on replay and I hate to beg to differ but he definitely showed temps for Tuesday.

To be honest the most remarkable thing about the forecast for me was his attire. I'm not saying I'm against 'casual' on TV at all, but the white t-shirt underneath the sweater was an unusual look for television I thought. Very 'dressed down' for Sunday and all that.

OK, to be fair my attention was momentarily diverted so I must have missed it!

Sorry Mr Gibbs.

Big divergence Wednesday between the CFile and the latest and some previous GFS runs.

Posted

Totally agree with that. Obviously didn't make it to the dry cleaners to collect the cleaned suit!!

Posted

Dont they alwyas have a casual look on countryfile? Whats wrong with that, it's a sunday morning when they should be in bed :blink:

Posted

They've done the casual look on Countryfile since the summer, as if their taking their jackets off makes a forecast more relevant to 'countryfolk' (or perhaps the media types in television centre think it does). At least it's not as bad as Breakfast: did anyone else spot Matt Taylor in waders up to his chest in a pond full of floating cranberries at Kew Gardens earlier in the autumn. What a waste of licence fee ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

If anyone saw it today could you possibly tell me what it said? It's pretty important... and yes, it's pretty hypocritical for me to ask since I used to wrote the forecasts ;)