Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

METO UK Further Outlook

Posted

Yep - LS. Never seen a METO Monthly/Further Outlook use the words 'very cold days' before...

Posted

I think the met office update is hugely encouraging especially as the wording wasnt as vague as they sometimes use. And isnt it nice for a change to see that the milder weather returning is a low probablity, its usually the other way round.

The ecm ensembles i suspect is what clinched it for the met office as these were very good. ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Well everyone is on board now, This is going to be a very tense few days coming up.

How I long to see some proper snow.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Countryfile forecast on Sunday should be interesting, should be a more definate picture of an Easterly developing at the end of next week by then.

Posted

Indeed Nick, though I think it'll be the week after thast has the chances of being a classic one, esp if the ensambles from GFS are correct.

A great little discussion from the met-office and clearly shows that they to believe we are gonig to get a very decent cold spell and I agree with what the last line says as well, as at the moment there is very little sign indeed of any mild coming back and the GFS ensambles show this really well.

Good on the Met-office, at least they are saying what they are thinking and not being conservative.

Posted

Countryfile forecast on Sunday should be interesting, should be a more definate picture of an Easterly developing at the end of next week by then.

I hope Daniel Corbett doesn't do the Countryfile forecast this week.. ;)

Should be a classic, although I think even by Sunday they will be hesitant to go into much detail for the end of next week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

I shall be glued to the tele for that one, and may even record it for prosperity.

As long as it doesn't go belly up before then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

bbc now saying just 4oC in london by sunday, not monday so cooling down a tad earlier perhaps, in their eyes at least?

25th to 29th: An anticyclone became established on the 25th and pressure remained relatively high for the next few days. There was some patchy rain on the 25th and later in the day showers moved into East Anglia. Some rain edged east on the 26th across England but petered out before it reached Wales. Sunny spells and showers followed in its wake and the showers turned wintry over Essex and Kent where the snow settled. It turned colder over the next couple of days with east to north-east winds across England and Wales. Further wintry showers affected eastern England from the Humber to East Sussex and across the Pennines on the 27th. There were reports of 10 cm of snow in Rye (East Sussex), 15 to 18 cm of snow around Folkestone (Kent). The following day, wintry showers continued in eastern coastal counties of England with 8 cm of snow reported in Ipswich (Suffolk), 10 cm in Lincolnshire and 15 cm in Northumberland. Western parts were largely sunny. The mornings of the 28th and 29th brought a locally severe frost with minus 8.2 °C at Benson (Oxfordshire) on the 28th, minus 10.6 °C at Albemarle (Northumberland) and minus 9.2 °C at Hurn Airport (Dorset) on the morning of the 29th. Many places stayed below freezing on the 29th. At Durham the maximum was minus 3.9 °C and in central London the maximum to 2100 was just 0.9 °C. The showers in the east eventually petered out. Outbreaks of rain, sleet and snow spread into western parts in the afternoon and evening.

wahoo ipswch was mentioned :D a great summary of december by the meto!! full one can be found using sesnow's link in the post above!

Edited by i luv snow

Posted

Interesting timing for the next METO update - Monday lunchtime. Could be a crucial one to watch...

Posted

The reason for the downgrade in temps on Sunday/Monday is not because of colder air advecting across the U.K. but that fog is expected to develop tonight and may be slow to clear during the day limiting temperatures where it persists all or much of the day.

Posted

Hmmm... Look at this:

Valid for Sat 28 Jan 2006 to Mon 6th Feb 2006

High pressure will ensure a quiet start to the period with some sunshine by day, but overnight fog may be reluctant to clear, lingering throughout the day in places. Temperatures are expected to be below average with sharp overnight frost, and it will remain very cold by day where fog lingers. During the middle part of the period, a trend to more unsettled conditions is expected with rain gradually extending southeastwards to all areas, accompanied by a temporary rise in temperature. Later, low pressure is expected to move southeastwards across the UK followed by much colder northerly winds. It is expected to turn more wintry with the risk of some significant snowfall for a time.

From http://www.meto.gov.uk/weather/europe/uk/outlook/index.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Mmmm - 6th February... he smiles nostalgically...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Has that forecaster who wrote that looked at todays GFS 06z run and believed it as accurate??? I must admit though I like the LP diving south bit with significant snow...I went for big snow event between 30/1and 2/2 in my LRF so heres keeping eyes peeled. Cold/calm conditons to remain for next week with more severe cold weather digging in after snow event into next week, this should lead us through a very cold Feb.

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Has that forecaster who wrote that looked at todays GFS 06z run and believed it as accurate??? I must admit though I like the LP diving south bit with significant snow...I went for big snow event between 30/1and 2/2 in my LRF so heres keeping eyes peeled. Cold/calm conditons to remain for next week with more severe cold weather digging in after snow event into next week, this should lead us through a very cold Feb.

BFTP

I think you'll be lucky to get your big Snow event with that damn High preasure hovering around.

Posted

I'm wondering where today's update is... Usually it's published on the website around 13:00. Ho hum...

Posted

The latest update from the METO:

Valid for Wed 1 Feb 2006 to Fri 10 Feb 2006

At the start of this spell, high pressure will be centred near southern England before slipping away into the continent. This will allow more unsettled weather and less cold air to gradually become established, especially in the west and north. Most areas will be rather cold with a good deal of cloud and patchy light rain moving eastwards. After the weekend, further bands of rain are set to move eastwards, turning heavy at times, especially in western and northern areas. Temperatures should return to mostly near normal, particularly in the west and north.

http://www.meto.gov.uk/weather/europe/uk/outlook/index.html

Posted

Incidently ..... don't buy the further outlook from the METO.

It's not particularly good unless the bleeding obvious is about to occur. After a week .... it's fairly meaningless.

dl

Posted

Today's update:

Valid for Sat 4 Feb 2006 to Mon 13 Feb 2006

Most areas will start dry with patchy fog and it will be cold in places with some overnight frost. Within a few days, more unsettled weather with rain or showers is expected to move southwards. At this stage, temperature levels will be generally near normal, but then a change to colder weather is expected to develop from the north. Rain, sleet or snow showers are possible in places. Overall, the emphasis is still on mainly dry weather.

From http://www.meto.gov.uk/weather/europe/uk/outlook/index.html