Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 05/01/2016 18z onwards

Posted

So far this evening in the phasing north/south jet streams over the eastern USA:

UKMO Yes.

GEM/GFS No.

The impact this has will make the difference between a much lengthier cold spell or a cold snap. Without that its a struggle to sharpen up the troughing to the west and the energy will spill eastwards.

PS we shouldn't forget the NAVGEM, that says Yes to the phasing!

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 4

Posted
Just now, nick sussex said:

So far this evening in the phasing north/south jet streams over the eastern USA:

UKMO Yes.

GEM/GFS No.

The impact this has will make the difference between a much lengthier cold spell or a cold snap. Without that its a struggle to sharpen up the troughing to the west and the energy will spill eastwards.

Nick whats your thoughts on the ukmo 144? I would suggest an easterly not long after :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Just checked out the updated MJO projections and you know what, I'm not convinced by that sudden loss of amplitude as it moves into phase 1 - though I'm not in a position to rule it out. Basically it's another factor that could produce interesting changes should the MJO stay amplified for longer.
Not the best of times for UKME to be absent from the plots as that would provide some clues given its more amplified output from as early as +96 hours.

ALL_emean_phase_full.gif

• Like 1

Posted

Prayer mats out again :D

IF ecm looks anything like navgas/ukmo at 144 we could be seeing ANOTHER dramtic turnaround!!!

Phew need to stop typing for a minute theres smoke coming off the keyboard!!!

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Nick whats your thoughts on the ukmo 144? I would suggest an easterly not long after :D

No comment till after the ECM! lol Even if that backs the UKMO we need the GFS to move quickly in its 18hrs run.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
2 minutes ago, Singularity said:

Just checked out the updated MJO projections and you know what, I'm not convinced by that sudden loss of amplitude as it moves into phase 1 - though I'm not in a position to rule it out. Basically it's another factor that could produce interesting changes should the MJO stay amplified for longer.
Not the best of times for UKME to be absent from the plots as that would provide some clues given its more amplified output from as early as +96 hours.

ALL_emean_phase_full.gif

Lol at the GEFS it keeps trying so hard to put us into phase 8 with earlier updates showing us sticking in phase 8 for a bit while other quickly descended to phase 1 then neutral.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

No comment till after the ECM! lol Even if that backs the UKMO we need the GFS to move quickly in its 18hrs run.

Oh if only we could coax the ECM into showing something similar to the UKMO :p

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Coldly

silly question time, but why doesn't net weather have the NAVGEM, JMA, CMA etc charts as shown on here all the time from users screenshots from meteociel, It would be easier if they were all in one place on here to find surely? I'm assuming they are not free, however meteociel have decided to provide them anyway?

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Thats EXACTLY what im thinking ukmo would lead to :D

Yes,those two models pretty close at 144 hrs.

Here comes the ECM...scared4.gif.544c0f3c6c5a2143c02937495eec

• Like 9

Posted
Just now, Gazza H said:

silly question time, but why doesn't net weather have the NAVGEM, JMA, CMA etc charts as shown on here all the time from users screenshots from meteociel, It would be easier if they were all in one place on here to find surely? I'm assuming they are not free, however meteociel have decided to provide them anyway?

Well, NAVGEM, I do remember @fergieweather posting a while back that certain professional forecasters do have a funny nickname for the NAVGEM due to how terrible they think the model is ( I can't remember it now though). As for the CMA, I honestly don't think I've even heard it discussed on Netweather before this cold spell started to downgrade on the major models!

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Id quite happily bribe :D

Lol! Just 10 minutes to wait but at T72hrs its already looking better over the USA and Canada than the GFS.

Its a shame we don't get to see the UKMO upstream at T72hrs.

Edited by nick sussex

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes
5 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Lol! Just 10 minutes to wait but at T72hrs its already looking better over the USA and Canada than the GFS.

yep low exiting futher south from the ne states not huge but better than this mornings 72

and 96 has low weakening

Edited by emotional rollercoaster
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

UKMO vs GFS just sums it up really.

Any newbies reading i would advise just sitting back and watching how things unfold. Its not unknown for this kind of uncertainty when we are in a more blocked pattern, with swings and disagreements between all the output. This wont be sorted for a few days yet IMO.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Talking about the nearer timeframe. Here are the predicted 850s for Thursday afternoon.

ECU0-72.GIF?11-0

Yesterdays 12z

ECU0-96.GIF?12

For a large part of England and Wales we have seen these drop a couple of degrees which may be crucial in seeing snow instead of rain, especially on the back edge of the system which moves through Wednesday night into Thursday.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

As expected it is between GFS and UKMO at 96h sand probably most accurate.

UN96-21.GIFECH1-96.GIF?11-0gfsnh-0-96.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
15 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

i cannot see the gfs being correct nick, it is at great odds with the noaa 500mb charts - it would be most unusual (but not impossible) for the gfs to 'win' .

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
9 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Talking about the nearer timeframe. Here are the predicted 850s for Thursday afternoon.

ECU0-72.GIF?11-0

Yesterdays 12z

ECU0-96.GIF?12

For a large part of England and Wales we have seen these drop a couple of degrees which may be crucial in seeing snow instead of rain, especially on the back edge of the system which moves through Wednesday night into Thursday.

Beat me to it Matt. A reasonable amount of precip moving down the eastern half of England along with it on Thursday afternoon, would likely be sleet/snow even to lower levels on this run.

Edited by Nick L
Typo
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

Look at the difference between GFS and ECM over the states at 120. High not quite as far north as on UKMO though.

ECH1-120.GIF

gfsnh-0-120.png

Edit: At 144, ECMWF has -6 850 line at around Swansea whereas GFS has the 0c at Swansea with -6 only hanging on to the far north east

Edited by bradythemole
  • Like 2