Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hmmm thought Davis had solved this.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Well yet another super cap has blown up on my vp2. Replaced it but that was a replacement board when the other died of corrosion after moisture ingress. That also had a blown cap repalced. So far one cap blew in soil moisture station one one in anemometer repeater and two in the main ISS. Pretty crap really.

Still think the problem is due to the cap being rated at 2.7v while working on a 3v line.

I wonder if the iss in the vantage vue has the same problem.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Funnily enough I have the dreaded 'low battery transmitter 1' appear on my 2 year old Vue. Battery duly changed annoying message still flashing on the console, hoping its not the cap or solar panel which I believe can go on these, and that the message will clear itself soon.

Edited by TonyH

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Funnily enough I have the dreaded 'low battery transmitter 1' appear on my 2 year old Vue. Battery duly changed annoying message still flashing on the console, hoping its not the cap or solar panel which I believe can go on these, and that the message will clear itself soon.

It does seem to be the cap but after a battery change, the message does disappear.

• Like 1

Posted

I've had two of these supercaps go, one in my main ISS after a couple of years and another in my anemometer transmitter. I never did get a low battery warning, the signal just kept dropping out which was sorted by a new battery for a few weeks until it would start again.

I've not had much luck with reliability with Davis equipment, I've had two blown supercaps, two dead anemometers and four dead FARS fans in 4½ years. When its all working its great though!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I have had that message flashing up for the past three years. I contacted Davis and they never got back to me, so I just left it. I did test the battery and it was fine, although I did change it just in case- still the message flashed up.It hasn't caused any problems though. Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1

Posted

Hi Mapantz, Reef and William,

Weathershop have contacted Davis (after a little persuasion :) ) who are prepared to test/ repair for free which is good. They say its the board gone, not so sure it will be a problem but best be on the safe side, when I can afford it I will purchase a spare ISS in case of  catastrophic failure.

Oh and William, two battery changes did not rid the message...

Edited by TonyH
  • Like 1

Posted

Hi Mapantz, Reef and William,Weathershop have contacted Davis (after a little persuasion :) ) who are prepared to test/ repair for free which is good. They say its the board gone, not so sure it will be a problem but best be on the safe side, when I can afford it I will purchase a spare ISS in case of  catastrophic failure.Oh and William, two battery changes did not rid the message...

Nice one Tony. I got mine from there, so I'm going to contact them now.Like I said, it hasn't caused any problems as far as I know but it is damn annoying- and to happen so shortly after buying it was a bit of a kick in the teeth!

Posted

Hi Mapantz, Reef and William,

Weathershop have contacted Davis (after a little persuasion :) ) who are prepared to test/ repair for free which is good. They say its the board gone, not so sure it will be a problem but best be on the safe side, when I can afford it I will purchase a spare ISS in case of  catastrophic failure.

Oh and William, two battery changes did not rid the message...

Weathershop have always been spot on, my anemometer transmitter and one of the FARS fans were from there and they were brilliant with the returns.

Its always worth having a spare if you can afford it just in case, as returning to Davis in the US does take quite some time. I run an Oregon WMR180 as a backup station just in case, but ideally would like a spare ISS board and temp/hum sensor to hand just in case.

Posted

I contacted the Weathershop yesterday, they asked for the serial on the bottom of my ISS. Doh! There was no way I was taking that down just for that, it is 4 1/2 metres up and all bolted etc.. Then I thought.. Take a pic on the phone and use the zoom. Sorted!

They are going to get in contact with Davis on my behalf, seeing as they ignore me.

Posted

I contacted the Weathershop yesterday, they asked for the serial on the bottom of my ISS. Doh! There was no way I was taking that down just for that, it is 4 1/2 metres up and all bolted etc.. Then I thought.. Take a pic on the phone and use the zoom. Sorted!They are going to get in contact with Davis on my behalf, seeing as they ignore me.

You can also contact McMurdo as they are the sole UK distributor and will offer support for all Davis kit:

http://www.davisweather.co.uk/contact-details

I wouldn't have even bothered contacting Davis directly, their support outside of the US is dire.

Posted

Hi Mapantz, Reef and William,Weathershop have contacted Davis (after a little persuasion :) ) who are prepared to test/ repair for free which is good. They say its the board gone, not so sure it will be a problem but best be on the safe side, when I can afford it I will purchase a spare ISS in case of  catastrophic failure.Oh and William, two battery changes did not rid the message...

Weathershop have got back to me and are trying to charge me £50 for a replacement transmitter. I've mailed them back to say that in no circumstances am I going to be paying a penny! Davis should front the cost, if they don't, I'll take it to trading standards.They carried on distributing stations with a known fault, they are liable for it.I can see this getting messy.

• 7 months later...
Posted

Yet another blown cap in the ISS. Luckily I had a spare cap so a quick soldering job this evening.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Yet another blown cap in the ISS. Luckily I had a spare cap so a quick soldering job this evening.

I've given up on my Davis. No one was willing to help and i'm not paying for anything when there was know issues as they were being sold. I personally think Davis are crap, i wouldn't recommend anything from them.

Posted

I've given up on my Davis. No one was willing to help and i'm not paying for anything when there was know issues as they were being sold. I personally think Davis are crap, i wouldn't recommend anything from them.

What was wrong with it???

Posted

Supercap/transmitter

Easy to fix. Just need a soldering Iron, solder and wire cutters plus good eye sight.  Super caps are expensive but I think Maplin even sells them now.

Posted

Easy to fix. Just need a soldering Iron, solder and wire cutters plus good eye sight.  Super caps are expensive but I think Maplin even sells them now.

Not  really, I got one from Maplins and it was under £5 delivered.

The one to match is just a generic capacitor you can get anywhere.

Posted

Not  really, I got one from Maplins and it was under £5 delivered.

The one to match is just a generic capacitor you can get anywhere.

No it isn't. A general electrolytic isn't the same thing as a super cap.