Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Consecutive Storms

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Just wondering (and if it hasn't already been discussed) how many of you have experienced storm events on consecutive days - as in 'proper' thunderstorms.

I grew up thinking nature didn't work that way and a thunderstorm would clear the air for days afterwards - but obviously in the real world (Florida for example) it happens all the time.

How frequently does it happen in the UK? I can't remember any times it's happened to me...

Posted

happened a few times here in the eighties and ninties,  the only recent time was october last year, 3 days I think 

must have been making up for the lack of thunder in the months before,  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I have had numerous occasions whereby I have been storm chasing on consecutive days, but not necessarily the same places so they probably don't count.

However, this year I heard thunder in Derby every day from 7th-10th June this year (4 days) with a proper storm on the 7th, a couple of rumbles and flashes on the 8th, possible supercell on the 9th and then a few flashes and rumbles on the 10th from a storm that just missed my house by about 5 miles. 

Posted

Thunder is generally as common in the winter as the summer here, due to being near the SW Wales cost.  Obviously most of the winter storms we get are nowhere near as intense as the summer type, and many would be best described as squally thundery showers rather than 'proper' thunderstorms.  Even so, last winter was quite remarkable as I heard thunder here on 5 days out of the 11 between 28th December and 7th January, with 4 being in the seven day period between 28th Dec and 3rd Jan and 2 consecutive days on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day.  Some of these were quite intense for winter coastal events, especially 3rd January.

This compares to only 3 storms here since the start of May - which is fairly impressive in itself, as we only had 1 in total last summer!