Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Forum renders badly on tablet

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I've just purchased a new tablet (8.3" display)

The forum displays poorly, i couldn't sign in using landscape mode as everything was overlapped and it wouldn't allow me to access the edit boxes, i had to sign in fron potrait mode.

Also, the forum renders in a constant mobile way, if i hit desktop mode, i get an error page. I don't get the problem on my old 7.9" tab

This is on Chrome and the native tablet browser.

Cheers.

Posted

Which skin are you using on your account? It shouldn't render in mobile mode at all - it's a responsive skin.

Im using the new skin, but it does it on all skins.post-15177-0-96862000-1406202844_thumb.p

Posted

Ok, I think I see the problem - just so happens your tab is the perfect size to have that issue - another cm wider/narrower and it wouldn't do that. 

Will try and get a fix in shortly. 

• Like 1

Posted

Ok, I think I see the problem - just so happens your tab is the perfect size to have that issue - another cm wider/narrower and it wouldn't do that.  Will try and get a fix in shortly.

That'd be amazing! I got this today, with an epic full HD display and first place i came was here, i was like noooooo lolCheers Paul.

Posted

Odd, it's not rendering the ad over anything for me now, through all widths.

Oh right, that's ok now. I thought you meant the mobile skin, as I'm still stuck in that mode.

Posted

That's just the width in pixels of your display, at 960px it will go down into mobile mode as it's a responsive design, but it's still the same skin. It's odd your tablet should be that narrow tbh as my 8 inch tab renders in desktop mode, and I know that even the nexus 7 renders ok in desktop mode too. Don't know if there's a setting somewhere which is perhaps doubling up on pixels, as if it's an hd tablet it's going to have more than 960px width available to it?

Posted

That's just the width in pixels of your display, at 960px it will go down into mobile mode as it's a responsive design, but it's still the same skin. It's odd your tablet should be that narrow tbh as my 8 inch tab renders in desktop mode, and I know that even the nexus 7 renders ok in desktop mode too. Don't know if there's a setting somewhere which is perhaps doubling up on pixels, as if it's an hd tablet it's going to have more than 960px width available to it?

This is 1200 x 1920 pixels - The actual device is 20mm smaller (width in portrait mode) but wider in landscape mode, so i would still expect it to render the desktop skin.

Posted

If it's rendering using that pixel size in the browser then it will definitely use desktop mode, as it's not I can only assume it's actually rendering in a lower pixel width than that for whatever reason - maybe it has some zoom function which makes the pixels larger in the browser or something?

Posted

I've gone through all the settings and changed font sizes etc, still no joy. On another forum which uses the same software, it renders the desktop version ok. I'm lost! A bit gutted too, it is quite annoying :(

Posted

Not all forums use the responsive skin as we do, but in all truth it's using standard css code to change things at 960px, so it's a struggle to see it being anything other than your tab rendering it with a pixel width of less than that unfortunately. 

Posted

All I can think of doing from this side is maybe hacking a skin for you which isn't responsive - give me a couple of hours and I'll see if I can get it online. 

Posted

In fact, try it on the netweather old skin now, it should be on non-responsive mode.

Yep, in desktop mode on that skin.

Posted

Any scrolling left->right on there when you view it?

Nope, completely fits the screen. :)It is zooming in sometimes though, that used to be fixed unless you let Chrome override it in the settings- which i don't. Edited by Mapantz

Posted

Hi Paul.

I emailed Lg yesterday, asking them if there was a difference in pixels while web browsing, here's the reply..

"Typically, most websites will not convert to the mobile version due to the resolution, but are able to detect that a mobile device is connecting to it. I can confirm that the web browser does not run at a lower resolution than the default screen size, so it will not be lower than 960 pixels."

"If the website you are using does not allow you to manually switch between the desktop and mobile versions - as many sites do - this is not something we have control over. The fact that this occurs on two separate browsers should tell you the website is the cause rather than the tablet."

A few other IP forums put me in to mobile mode as well, but if I click "full version" It will render the full site as intended.

Is it possible that IP isn't completely tablet-friendly? There are many out there.

Edited by Mapantz

Posted

We don't run the standard version of the forum skin and don't have the mobile detection switched on, the default skin is entirely responsive so just uses the pixel width of the 'viewport' (the screen size) to decide what is displayed. The break point is at 960px, which even on 7 inch tabs means the full version shows, I honestly don't know why it wouldn't do that on your device.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

I can now get the full version on my Samsung s4. Unless I have pressed something unknowingly I could not get it before.

Posted

Yes, Have always preferred the old skin.