Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm and Convective Discussion 23rd June Onwards

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

Heading out to the bypass to be in good shape to intercept anything that arrives nearby. Hopefully I can intercept the one near kings lynn as it arrives although I gotta keep an eye out for new and possibly more intense development elsewhere.

Have radar app with me yay! :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Some excellent cumulonimbus cloudscape a about. Kind of what it's like abroad here today. Thundery shower cleared through with torrential rain and then has nearly dried up already !

Posted

just a few very large spots here around 1620, but the Watnall ascent explains what is happening, convection, often limited by moisture aloft but in places likely go all the way to the trop.

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

Incredible little cell sitting to the north of MK at the minute, very hard edged robust updraft with a small circular looking anvil a top. Shower towards the back edge of this cell firing also, very fast up draft with a pileus cap.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

Looking mighty dark. Just heard thunder. Why do thunderstorms always arrive when I'm at work!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

What way is it heading?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

Looking mighty dark. Just heard thunder. Why do thunderstorms always arrive when I'm at work!

But will one actually materialise for me? I'm playing the waiting game in a layby on the bypass just after the a11 thickthorn roundabout facing towards the a140. I would rather wait than head back into Norwich rush hour :-DThe shower currently to the west which may pass over is weakening and no sferics currently.Edit: sferics detected on the little band of rain southwest of norwich over the a11 lol Edited by Greenday

Posted

Storm edged it's way past Stevenage about 45 minutes ago, few IC sferics and loud thunder. Another cell just skirted to the south, poked my head out the window and 2 seconds later saw a nice CG about 3 miles away. Neither were very active lightning wise but the rain was torrential. 

Got my eyes on the cells firing over MK way for round 3. 

Edited by liambailey09

Posted

Thunder and lightning now starting in MK, storm is forming overhead and static from a cluster of showers in the area. No rain just crisp crackly elevated thunder. :D

Edited by SnowJoke

Posted

Was in Cambridge earlier, had a few massive flashes and cracks of thunder out of nowhere about quarter to three. Just started again here, hammering it down and thunder getting nearer and nearer.

Sick and tired of this.

Posted

Was in Cambridge earlier, had a few massive flashes and cracks of thunder out of nowhere about quarter to three. Just started again here, hammering it down and thunder getting nearer and nearer. Sick and tired of this.

Ironic that many people on here would love to swap places with you !! That thunderhead looked amazing what you were under too.

Posted

Ironic that many people on here would love to swap places with you !!That thunderhead looked amazing what you were under too.

Would swap it all day mate, hate thunder and lightning, need to immigrate to a country with none of this!

Any idea how long this is gonna last?

Posted

Would swap it all day mate, hate thunder and lightning, need to immigrate to a country with none of this!Any idea how long this is gonna last?

San Francisco would be a good option lol Probably until late evening time when diurnal heating weakens and showers fizzle out Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Had one thunderstorm at work mid-afternoon. Looks like the next cell will miss east, can see the anvil clipping us my area now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Am looking at the MK storm, watching it do it's usual past me by :wallbash:

Posted

Possibly the strangest thunderstorm I have ever witnessed in MK, very elevated cloud base, constant rolling thunder that wasn't very loud and very little heavy rainfall. The rain which has fallen is moderate and only just wet the ground. Even the cloud base didn't appear very dark when overhead as light was able to pass underneath. Now moving off to the SE with constant thunder still rolling across the sky.  :cc_confused:

• Like 1

Posted

Another line of storms developing to the N of Peterborough. May miss just to the E of us but im hoping not.

Love living where I do at this time of year.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

have been poking my head out the door while i was cooking and haven't heard a rumble, sun back out prffff :doh:

Posted

Another line of storms developing to the N of Peterborough. May miss just to the E of us but im hoping not.

Love living where I do at this time of year.

East Mids/Cambs/Lincs and into West Norfolk are definitely storm capitals of the country. Essex and Kent always seem to get their fair share, mostly with imported activity, well especially in the 90s etc!

• Like 1