Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What's your favourite and least favourite season?

What is your favourite and least favourite season?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite season?

2. 2. What is your LEAST favourite season?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

I dont really hate any season to be honest, I would probably say Summer is my favourite due to the Thunderstorms, i just love them! And id go spring as my least favourite due to the not so much interest.

Being coastal, Autumn can have a good advantage on surfaced based thunderstorms off the sea, due to it being warmer whilst the land is cooling off for the winter. 

Winter isnt far behind summer because im also a big snow and extreme cold fan too!

so in order id go

1. Summer: Because one I love Thunderstorms as its my favourite, and two I love lots of heat and beach.

2. Winter: Im a big snow fan, and also love extreme cold and frosts.

3. Autumn, I love the coasal based surface based thunderstorms off the sea and also I love a good Autumn Atlantic Storm.

4. Spring: The IOW was good for slack northerlies and thunderstorms from them conditions, and have experience most of my thundersnows from them :D

Posted

I dont really hate any season to be honest, I would probably say Summer is my favourite due to the Thunderstorms,

If you lived here, summer would suddenly lose all its appeal to you.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

If you lived here, summer would suddenly lose all its appeal to you.

At least you don't live in the south, my location probably warmer than yours

• Like 1

Guest HectorTheAwesome

Not sure what there is to like about winters in England - all that happens is boring insipid cloud, drizzle and wind with boring single figure temperatures like being in a fridge, and slushy slippery useless snow at best. So summer should be winning by far, seeing as it is the only time of year in the UK with comfortable outdoor conditions.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I do wonder if winter has got less unpopular than say it might have been in 1950? or 1850?

It's now fairly easy to hide from the harsh outdoor conditions if you live in a fairly modern home, you can still buy most sorts of foods year round and electrical lighting is all around.

Perhaps it would be a much less popular season if your only heat source was a coal fire in a cold, draughty house and the only food available was anything left over from the last harvest...

Posted

If they lived just after WWII with draughty old houses, ice on the inside of the window pain, outdoor toilets and having to walk miles to get groceries in the howling winter's gale they would be crying for summer like a baby who's fallen flat on its face trying to walk.

My childhood in a nutshell, except the crying for summer like a baby bit... loved every second of it! From aged 8 onwards I was the sole carer for my poorly dad and I did everything, in case anyone thinks I'm looking back with rose (or frost) tinted spectacles. And we'd no money - I was the one walking to school in snow and slush with holes in my shoes. Getting half a ton of coal in with shovel and wheelbarrow in the snow, one little coal fire to heat a big ol' draughty house with rotten single-glazed windows which would get half an inch of ice on the inside during freaky winters, going for groceries two miles away with my coupla canvas shopping bags and getting stuff on the slate etc. Times were hard,really hard but I knew no better, but honestly I wouldn't change anything.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

My childhood in a nutshell, except the crying for summer like a baby bit... loved every second of it! From aged 8 onwards I was the sole carer for my poorly dad and I did everything, in case anyone thinks I'm looking back with rose (or frost) tinted spectacles. And we'd no money - I was the one walking to school in snow and slush with holes in my shoes. Getting half a ton of coal in with shovel and wheelbarrow in the snow, one little coal fire to heat a big ol' draughty house with rotten single-glazed windows which would get half an inch of ice on the inside during freaky winters, going for groceries two miles away with my coupla canvas shopping bags and getting stuff on the slate etc. Times were hard,really hard but I knew no better, but honestly I wouldn't change anything.

Brilliant memories! I remember ice on the inside of our windows, no insulation then! lol.  And our boiler breaking down in the middle of Winter and trying to phone whoever to come and fix it only to find the phone lines down too...and burst pipes because of the freeze and thaw.....:)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunshine and thunderstorms. Mild in winter.

Brilliant memories! I remember ice on the inside of our windows, no insulation then! lol.  And our boiler breaking down in the middle of Winter and trying to phone whoever to come and fix it only to find the phone lines down too...and burst pipes because of the freeze and thaw..... :)

You're own ice hotel right here in Britain! :)

Sounds like there was some good winters back then, it's ashame we seem to be going back to the milder ones.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

You're own ice hotel right here in Britain! :)

Sounds like there was some good winters back then, it's ashame we seem to be going back to the milder ones.

It was great, especially if you were a kid.

• Like 1

Posted

It was great, especially if you were a kid.

I bet it was.

Winters 2009-10 and 2010-11 were magical for me, despite me being 12 and 13 at the time and not 6. Oh well, they certainly brought my 6 year old self out again! We need another one of them to make up for that horror earlier this year.

Edited by ScottRichards10
  • Like 2

Posted

Brilliant memories! I remember ice on the inside of our windows, no insulation then! lol.  And our boiler breaking down in the middle of Winter and trying to phone whoever to come and fix it only to find the phone lines down too...and burst pipes because of the freeze and thaw..... :)

It was all part of the fun - 'modern' winters hold no fear for me, and 2010 with all modern comforts and conveniences was nuthin', absolutely nuthin' compared to the hardships of yesteryear. Best bit was getting to be close to the meagre little coal fire at night with some hot choc before climbing between frozen sheets in a frozen bedroom and contemplating that things could actually be a whole lot worse, and appreciating what one had. Crazy I know but I loved it then, and even now lament how easy winter life is. Always found summer tedious and boring even then.

• Like 4

Posted

It was all part of the fun - 'modern' winters hold no fear for me, and 2010 with all modern comforts and conveniences was nuthin', absolutely nuthin' compared to the hardships of yesteryear. Best bit was getting to be close to the meagre little coal fire at night with some hot choc before climbing between frozen sheets in a frozen bedroom and contemplating that things could actually be a whole lot worse, and appreciating what one had. Crazy I know but I loved it then, and even now lament how easy winter life is. Always found summer tedious and boring even then.

We had a powercut during December 2010, so the house was cold, very cold, but not as dramatic as your's was obviously. It was really a strangely pleasureable experience though. Snow outside, candle light, board games and hot chocolate, really quite compelling, and something I would certainly like to experience again.

Oh God, you and simshady have put me in a winter mindset now!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Can we please stop the insults at anyone who has different weather preferences? It's getting pathetic and childish. 

• Like 1

Posted

We had a powercut during December 2010, so the house was cold, very cold, but not as dramatic as your's was obviously. It was really a strangely pleasureable experience though. Snow outside, candle light, board games and hot chocolate, really quite compelling, and something I would certainly like to experience again.

Ha - we knew you would yield eventually! Power cuts seemed to be part of everyday life when I was a kid, almost forgot about those. They too added to the fun but back then we didn't have computers,microwaves,colour telly and lots of other electronic devices we take for granted nowadays. Always had loads of candles at the ready - twas great!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

We have had some fantastic Winters of late, March before last saw 5/6m Drifts here and was stuck in for days before the lanes got dug out. I love the weather and change in seasons, But Winter will always be the Season of choice for me have been chopping logs most of the day to get a good stock in, living in an isolated/elevated location makes it even better. 

• Like 3

Posted

Ha - we knew you would yield eventually! Power cuts seemed to be part of everyday life when I was a kid, almost forgot about those. They too added to the fun but back then we didn't have computers,microwaves,colour telly and lots of other electronic devices we take for granted nowadays. Always had loads of candles at the ready - twas great!

To be honest, there is always a time of year when my mindset will switch to the next season, usually in mid-September or mid-March, but it seems you two have started the change earlier this year!

The thing with powercuts is they seem to be fun even today. Sitting in candle light in the darkness is actually quite pleasing (Christ what have you done to me!?) in a strange sort of way. They seem to be a very peculiar novelty, just like proper winters are in the UK. :)

• Like 3

Posted

We have had some fantastic Winters of late, March before last saw 5/6m Drifts here and was stuck in for days before the lanes got dug out. I love the weather and change in seasons, But Winter will always be the Season of choice for me have been chopping logs most of the day to get a good stock in, living in an isolated/elevated location makes it even better. 

March 2013 was truly exceptional - colder than all three winter months of that year.

March seems to be turning into a very versatile month. 2013 saw it bring winter and 2012 and 2014 saw it bring an early summer. A great month if you like extremes!

Posted

To be honest, there is always a time of year when my mindset will switch to the next season, usually in mid-September or mid-March, but it seems you two have started the change earlier this year!

The thing with powercuts is they seem to be fun even today. Sitting in candle light in the darkness is actually quite pleasing (Christ what have you done to me!?) in a strange sort of way. They seem to be a very peculiar novelty, just like proper winters are in the UK. :)

Haha...my Mum always used to say to me.....'Go an' get the candles' as soon as the lights went out and then off to bed with a night light on the table next to my bed.

• Like 3

Posted

Haha...my Mum always used to say to me.....'Go an' get the candles' as soon as the lights went out and then off to bed with a night light on the table next to my bed.

There's something really cool about low/dim light isn't there. I am the only one who thinks that?  :closedeyes: 

• Like 2

Posted

There's something really cool about low/dim light isn't there. I am the only one who thinks that?  :closedeyes:

I have a lava lamp on in the winter - can't sleep without it. Don't bother in the height of summer 'cos the natural light swamps it!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom

Post Spring 2013 every season has now become my least favorite.

We had a powercut during December 2010, so the house was cold, very cold, but not as dramatic as your's was obviously. It was really a strangely pleasurable experience though. Snow outside, candle light, board games and hot chocolate, really quite compelling, and something I would certainly like to experience again.

Yeah he's been converted!  Posted Image

Edited by Craig Evans
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

even if we have the coldest winter on record this year it will be meaningless and pretty mundane to me when you have lived in a city that experiences 100+ice days per year

• Like 2

Posted

even if we have the coldest winter on record this year it will be meaningless and pretty mundane to me when you have lived in a city that experiences 100+ice days per year

Yup - you've been spoiled for sure.

• Like 2

Posted

I'd certainly like to try that here. Even during cold waves in the UK, the temperature will always hover around or slightly above freezing at the height of the day. To get maxima that are significantly below freezing for several days is really quite an exception really.

I'd like to try one of the "frost fair" winters - where it was cold enough for the Thames to freeze over and for the sea to freeze several miles out. Sadly, looking at records, the last time we had one of them was the winter of 1813-14 and it's probably very unlikely we'll ever have another.

• Like 1

Posted

spring, usually too warm for snow and the fact it's at least 9 months till i have a have a chance of seeing snow again, i hate heat but at least i get a tan in summer

• Like 1