Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Regional threads - changes for summer?

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I might be able to see the woods through the trees if I can see the point of closing the threads? I don't see why they have to be closed because it is the quiet season?If they are not being posted frequently then why close them? Why is it necessary?Are they using up extra electrical power? Using up Mbs?Why is it necessary, that's what I don't get and being the quiet season, people don't frequently post in them is not really a good enough reason.

because  during the summer for the majority of members who use the forum, the places generally frequented are the model tread and especially the convective discussion threads, having quieter regional threads on the go simple dilutes the discussion even further...This has been noticeable the past couple of summers when the regionals have stayed open...As an individual, you might not have noticed this, but the site team (who are constantly monitoring the threads) have

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Yeah John, surprised you dont post in model thread, your posts are good, realistic, if you did, I think you would have the most 'likes' on the forum

Posted

The reality is that outside winter, these threads become very quiet and there is no real need for them.

Are those threads costing the site, money? There is almost an economic logic being applied here. The traffic to those threads have dropped and if it were shops or businesses, you would shut down but they are not. If you are going to use traffic as an argument then what is the point of the Travel, Holidays and Days out forum? 8 threads in a year? The newest thread posted on that site was July last year.
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Are those threads costing the site, money? There is almost an economic logic being applied here. The traffic to those threads have dropped and if it were shops or businesses, you would shut down but they are not.If you are going to use traffic as an argument then what is the point of the Travel, Holidays and Days out forum? 8 threads in a year? The newest thread posted on that site was July last year.

Certain regional threads have been causing issues that the team are constantly having to deal with.

Posted

I might be able to see the woods through the trees if I can see the point of closing the threads? I don't see why they have to be closed because it is the quiet season?If they are not being posted frequently then why close them? Why is it necessary?Are they using up extra electrical power? Using up Mbs?Why is it necessary, that's what I don't get and being the quiet season, people don't frequently post in them is not really a good enough reason.

Because someone joining from (for instance) Wales thinking they're going to be active in the Wales thread then going into the thread to see an average of just over 1 post a day for the last few months is likely to take one look and not be too impressed. At that point they may walk away..

If that thread wasn't open and they saw lots of people from across the country into a daily weather thread they may be more inclined to get involved. (Historically it's the daily thread people have tended to post into first, and latterly the regionals during winter in particular)

As also mentioned above, as the threads get quieter there is the tendency for small groups to form which can be difficult to break in to for new users, and can also lead to a sort of cabin fever where clashes and issues get magnified purely because of the lower number of people and posts than there may usually be. 

As I keep saying - if it doesn't work we can look again..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Sorry but that's another person who will be leaving.Yes lets all go the mod threads where if your opinion does not fit in you will get lynched..Stupid decision 

• Like 5

Posted

Sorry but that's another person who will be leaving.Yes lets all go the mod threads where if your opinion does not fit in you will get lynched..Stupid decision 

Fit in with what?

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

This is not an easy decision from Paul and all, I think its best if it lies for a couple of days,,,,, :cc_confused:  :cc_confused:  :cc_confused:

Posted

I really think this is a fuss over nothing. Why can't you have the same chat in either the lounge or the general weather chat threads? Who knows, you might speak to people you don't normally come across.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I really think this is a fuss over nothing. Why can't you have the same chat in either the lounge or the general weather chat threads? Who knows, you might speak to people you don't normally come across.

the most sensible post yet! :good:

• Like 3

Posted

But as a forum team member, you aren't really objective are you?

I'd like to have posted these photos I've taken in the last couple of days and shown to the SE thread, as they are relevant to our area. They're not great photos, I agree, but they do mean something to me and the weather in the last couple of days here; they are certainly not worth adding to my gallery and appearing as a 'ticker tape' across the top of the forum screen.

http:////f1.nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_images/tctc91_simplify/attachicon.gifCockaynes 1.jpghttp:////f1.nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_images/tctc91_simplify/attachicon.gifCockaynes 2.jpghttp:////f1.nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_images/tctc91_simplify/attachicon.gifFinchingfield.jpghttp:////f1.nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_images/tctc91_simplify/attachicon.gifThaxted 1.jpghttp:////f1.nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_images/tctc91_simplify/attachicon.gifThaxted 2.jpghttp:////f1.nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_images/tctc91_simplify/attachicon.gifLittle Sampford Church.jpg

There is a whole photography section on this forum, what's wrong with posting them there?

• Like 3

Posted

Not to change the topic, but on a somber note, a far more serious news story is breaking from Nickleodeon...

'Tiddles the Tortoise' has been sighted as stuck up a tree,  reports correspondant Peppa Pig......Owner, Dr Hamster is reported as 'inconsolable'

more to follow........

just to put things into perspective :crazy::rolleyes:

• Like 4

Posted

But as a forum team member, you aren't really objective are you?

I'd like to have posted these photos I've taken in the last couple of days and shown to the SE thread, as they are relevant to our area. They're not great photos, I agree, but they do mean something to me and the weather in the last couple of days here; they are certainly not worth adding to my gallery and appearing as a 'ticker tape' across the top of the forum screen.

http:////f1.nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_images/tctc91_simplify/attachicon.gifCockaynes 1.jpghttp:////f1.nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_images/tctc91_simplify/attachicon.gifCockaynes 2.jpghttp:////f1.nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_images/tctc91_simplify/attachicon.gifFinchingfield.jpghttp:////f1.nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_images/tctc91_simplify/attachicon.gifThaxted 1.jpghttp:////f1.nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_images/tctc91_simplify/attachicon.gifThaxted 2.jpghttp:////f1.nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_images/tctc91_simplify/attachicon.gifLittle Sampford Church.jpg

I don't follow this argument. They are very good photos and why wouldn't the rest of the members be interested? Regarding the photos across the top of the screen I've always thought having a changing random selection a better idea.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

There is a whole photography section on this forum, what's wrong with posting them there?

Like I said, they'd  mean very little to people outside our area. I don't have the proper lenses to take really good pictures of Thaxted Church; for instance - note how the top of the spire leans to the left.

Tbh, it's the decision of you guys and I won't argue aggressively.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!

I occasionally post on the SE/EA thread as I feel comfortable there, as it is a very friendly place to be. it is not just about  posting of course one can enjoy reading the comments of others.

Certainly I will miss the postings of JP, Charlton Kerry, Steve C, Tamara and numerous others. Like others have said or at least intimated the Model Thread can at times be a very intimidating place to be, especially when toys start being thrown out of prams, when the weather does not  go as some posters would like it to. I for one do not feel expert enough to post on that thread, but have no such reservations to do so on our regional thread as they are all such a smashing friendly bunch.

Is there any chance of reconsidering this decision.

Kind Regards

Dave

• Like 9

Not to change the topic, but on a somber note, a far more serious news story is breaking from Nickleodeon...

'Tiddles the Tortoise' has been sighted as stuck up a tree,  reports correspondant Peppa Pig......Owner, Dr Hamster is reported as 'inconsolable'

more to follow........

just to put things into perspective :crazy::rolleyes:

Well that adds a lot to the thread!!!

I really don't follow the argument that if all the regional threads are not being used then close them, the same could be said about the model thread which appears to have a few people posting every day.  I don't want to have to look around the rest of the forum to try and find my fellow area members who have suddenly been cut off until next winter. 

It would have been nice to have had prior notification of this decision so people could have at least said there goodbys until the end of 2014 rather than everything closed at just after nine this morning.

How about a voting thread so all forum members can indicate whether they want the regional threads to continue over the summer or maybe a happy with smaller version eg, north south, east and west

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

I don't follow this argument. They are very good photos and why wouldn't the rest of the members be interested? Regarding the photos across the top of the screen I've always thought having a changing random selection a better idea.

Knocker, I have noted that you can be contrary, but I've also worked out that you are very intelligent. Let's just leave it? :)

Edited by Steve C
  • Like 2

Posted

I occasionally post on the SE/EA thread as I feel comfortable there, as it is a very friendly place to be. it is not just about  posting of course one can enjoy reading the comments of others.

Certainly I will miss the postings of JP, Charlton Kerry, Steve C, Tamara and numerous others. Like others have said or at least intimated the Model Thread can at times be a very intimidating place to be, especially when toys start being thrown out of prams, when the weather does not  go as some posters would like it to. I for one do not feel expert enough to post on that thread, but have no such reservations to do so on our regional thread as they are all such a smashing friendly bunch.

Is there any chance of reconsidering this decision.

Kind Regards

Dave

Why do people assume that the forum now only consists of the model thread? The daily weather chat thread is reasonably lively, laid back and requires no technical knowledge at all. Just give it a try for a week or two, and if things don't work out we are very much open to reconsidering.

Come on folks, we coped perfectly fine before the regional threads.

• Like 1

Posted

Well that adds a lot to the thread!!!

I really don't follow the argument that if all the regional threads are not being used then close them, the same could be said about the model thread which appears to have a few people posting every day.  I don't want to have to look around the rest of the forum to try and find my fellow area members who have suddenly been cut off until next winter. 

It would have been nice to have had prior notification of this decision so people could have at least said there goodbys until the end of 2014 rather than everything closed at just after nine this morning.

How about a voting thread so all forum members can indicate whether they want the regional threads to continue over the summer or maybe a happy with smaller version eg, north south, east and west

it adds as much as numerous posts in here today....and besides sometimes a little humour helps lighten the soul Chris

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

WARNING, TROLL FREE POST

I think this is the problem, too much none weather related stuff in the regionals! I enjoyed posting in Scotland, even though I am in London, what a friendly bunch! Mostly weather related posts too. So a summer of one large weather thread, will help people get to know each other instead of hanging with the locals all the time. Poor Tiddles the tortoise :( :( :(

• Like 2

Posted

Perhaps it's time some folks stepped back and calmed down a touch - if the idea of closing the forums was just to do it and tell people to like it or lump it then this discussion would have been locked and that would have been that, but it's not the case - this was opened for discussion and all opinions are being listened to.

The regional discussion forums have been closed for something like 12 hours so far, this discussion is ongoing (and yes in hindsight maybe some discussion first may have been worthwhile, but that said since there's clearly a spread of opinions we'd never be able to please everyone whatever we do or don't do). So those getting annoyed and a bit heated, please stop - this is opportunity to discuss options in a rational way - please don't take it down another less constructive route.

Obviously the SE thread is in a different boat to the other regions in that it's been fairly active, but it's had its own problems - the cabin fever part is related to that in that there have been issues bubbling under the surface which refuses to go away due to people on both sides of a divide that has formed not being prepared to call off hostilities. So it's another of the reasons why we decided that things needed a break. 

So that's 2 distinct problems we need to solve - some 'cabin fever' in the more active regions, and a lack of activity in other regions. One proposal I'll put forward as a compromise for people to consider is to go with 3 regions: 1. Northern Britain (Scotland, Northern England, Northern Ireland), 2. Southern Britain (Midlands, Wales, East Anglia, Southern England) and 3. EIRE. 

I'd like to think that could solve both problems by a. adding more people to the less active parts and b. adding more people to the cabin fever affected parts. I understand that does still lose some of the locality for discussions, but we can still open up smaller regions during active weather periods, and will obviously add more people into the more entrenched groups but I'm sure the majority of people in those groups would be very welcoming. So with this in mind, what are people's opinions on this as something to try for a week or two?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Perhaps it's time some folks stepped back and calmed down a touch - if the idea of closing the forums was just to do it and tell people to like it or lump it then this discussion would have been locked and that would have been that, but it's not the case - this was opened for discussion and all opinions are being listened to.

The regional discussion forums have been closed for something like 12 hours so far, this discussion is ongoing (and yes in hindsight maybe some discussion first may have been worthwhile, but that said since there's clearly a spread of opinions we'd never be able to please everyone whatever we do or don't do). So those getting annoyed and a bit heated, please stop - this is opportunity to discuss options in a rational way - please don't take it down another less constructive route.

Obviously the SE thread is in a different boat to the other regions in that it's been fairly active, but it's had its own problems - the cabin fever part is related to that in that there have been issues bubbling under the surface which refuses to go away due to people on both sides of a divide that has formed not being prepared to call off hostilities. So it's another of the reasons why we decided that things needed a break. 

So that's 2 distinct problems we need to solve - some 'cabin fever' in the more active regions, and a lack of activity in other regions. One proposal I'll put forward as a compromise for people to consider is to go with 3 regions: 1. Northern Britain (Scotland, Northern England, Northern Ireland), 2. Southern Britain (Midlands, Wales, East Anglia, Southern England) and 3. EIRE. 

I'd like to think that could solve both problems by a. adding more people to the less active parts and b. adding more people to the cabin fever affected parts. I understand that does still lose some of the locality for discussions, but we can still open up smaller regions during active weather periods, and will obviously add more people into the more entrenched groups but I'm sure the majority of people in those groups would be very welcoming. So with this in mind, what are people's opinions on this as something to try for a week or two?

Give your general weather forum a couple of months, if that doesn't work, do the above!