Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland & The Far North Of England Regional Weather Chat

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Nice to read some optimism here, above.  Been another glorious day in the Highlands. Spent the day looking down to near Affric YH and not a soul to be seen.  Where is everyone??  Idiot tourists don't seem to get more than half a mile from their cars...

• Like 1

Posted

Fantastic harvest day here too with a warm drying wind and cloudless skies. Young Mr. Northernlights still carting from combine as I type. Started combining at 11.00am and still going. We are fortunate to have rescued most of the barley after Bertha with only about half an acre not cut because of  combine sinking.We are plagued with springs in the fields most of which are led into drains but new ones appear adfter heavy rain. A lot of farmers on the coastal plain are not so lucky with whole fields flattened sprouted and lost. post-2744-0-92439400-1409185515_thumb.jppost-2744-0-69206500-1409185538_thumb.jp

Have to say have not harvested such fragile rotten ripe barley since 1985. A very stressful harvest with all the rain we have had!!!.

Update Just finished cutting and contractor off to another farm to help out his other combine  to get them finished too.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Well done NL, you have certainly been through the mill this August. Hideous weather for harvest time. Bet you enjoyed taking that pic.

Here's something you don't see too often on the Fax charts :) Bottom left, spinning away to herself.

post-7292-0-07130700-1409259467_thumb.gi

Track looking well North of us too, straight up the GIN corridor - makes a change from smack bang direct hit.. A nice start to September beckons..

post-7292-0-87109000-1409259799_thumb.gi

• Like 3

Posted

Warmest day of the month here reached 21.8c at Leuchars. Plenty of heavy showers too!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Aside from the wind of change in Scottish politics, did anyone see this?

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-28885119

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Aside from the wind of change in Scottish politics, did anyone see this?

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-28885119

Interesting, but what are we to make of this discovery? :unknw: Early signs of a new ice age approaching? :unknw::cold: :cold:

• Like 1

Posted

A wet showery morning here currently 12.8c.

Now fields are clear of crop we are seeing more wildlife,a lot of new roe deer born in the fields,yesterday saw a newly fledged covey of 16 partridge( a very late brood perhaps the result of foraging badgers taking earlier nests of eggs,far to many badgers) and finally back at the farm house having thought the swifts had left for the summer about three weeks ago, yesterday I saw a family of six emerging from under the eaves late perhaps because of abundant insect life in early August. Just a week ago we had a family of 4 woodpeckers at the feeders when all summer it has just been a single individual.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

Just looking on the model thread page, looking good for high pressure to set in from the end of this week, not certain how Scotland will fare in this though, all depends on the orientation I suppose. It seems that we could get a quite cloudy setup as air may come from off the Atlantic! Please shoot me down in flames if I have this wrong, would appreciate input from the more experienced of my scottish forum buddies.

Well it looks like I may have been correct.......but for the wrong reasons. looks like the orientation of our friend the Azores high may well introduce a fair amount of cloud especially for eastern coasts. Just goes to show how little orientation shifts of the high can change everything. Still a good chance of a fair amount of sunshine for some places and most certainly useable days.

Edited by tempestwatch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

Well it looks like I may have been correct.......but for the wrong reasons. looks like the orientation of our friend the Azores high may well introduce a fair amount of cloud especially for eastern coasts. Just goes to show how little orientation shifts of the high can change everything. Still a good chance of a fair amount of sunshine for some places and most certainly useable days.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/ky12

Posted

Am I the only 1 keeping this going? :rofl: Sun tried to come out earlier and it pretty sticky but didn't last long

• Like 2

Posted

Been very busy this week turning straw ,getting it baled, watering a neighbours garden, weaning cows and calves and loading grain lorries and making full use of the dry days.Very dull and humid today currently 19.1c but was up to 22c earlier  One more field of straw to bale tomorrow and a little bit of late hay and we should have harvest wrapped up.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Cloudy start but became incredibly humid. The most of the summer season I'd imagine. Eased after 1ish. We climbed to 22.2c but more significantly it is still 19.1c outside now. Very warm for the start of September.

I like having the heat back but I'm glad it wasn't this humid when we were about 10c warmer in July with a stronger sun... :)

Getting dark now, starting to notice the very quick change in daylight

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Cloudy start but became incredibly humid. The most of the summer season I'd imagine. Eased after 1ish. We climbed to 22.2c but more significantly it is still 19.1c outside now. Very warm for the start of September.

I like having the heat back but I'm glad it wasn't this humid when we were about 10c warmer in July with a stronger sun... :)

Getting dark now, starting to notice the very quick change in daylight

Grey Sky here all week, nae fkn Sunshine, nae fkn Blue sky!

High Pressure not producing the goods in these parts i'm afraid and there was me thinking that I was gonnae enjoy some late summer conditions. Pft!

Big Grumpy Innes

Edited by Big Innes Madori
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Grey Sky here all week, nae fkn Sunshine, nae fkn Blue sky!High Pressure not producing the goods in these parts i'm afraid and there was me thinking that I was gonnae enjoy some late summer conditions. Pft!Big Grumpy Innes

Yeah, not a sunny high it has to be said. Reached 23c here and it only became sunny at 5pm. Pretty good for September.

After a cool down this weekend, it looks like the high pressure will build back in and hopefully (fingers crossed) it will have less cloud trapped under it but too early to tell ATM.

Chilly nights, warm sunny days... Would be perfect weather IMO...

The rain for tomorrow should mean we don't need much rain as you know what happens here when people say 'it's getting a bit dry'... The rain forgets to turn off! ;)

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 1

Posted

No weather worth mentioning this week so far. Just fkn midges.

Harvest straw/hay all wrapped up  this afternoon in very warm dull  humid conditions with a top temperature of 22c again so great relief.Combines are all still going tonight in wheat in the local area.

Two classes from Mrs. Northernlights school had their annual  farm walk these last two mornings and whenever we got near the woods the midges were really fierce.Was able to show them lots of small fresh scrapes with badger pooh round the edges of the fields and they were fascinated by this. Our old fashioned 7 course rotation on the farm seems to encourage a lot of wildlife for them to see.

• Like 2

Posted

Bit different today, it's raining but that should when the front clears away hopefully clear the air/murk and maybe next week might be sunny (don't think it's looking all that shabby at all)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Really sunny now, 17C after the very light rain when I was in school, the only thing is the midges are going mental!!

Posted

Really sunny now, 17C after the very light rain when I was in school, the only thing is the midges are going mental!!

It could be worse, you could have swarms of wasps! :bomb::help:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

It could be worse, you could have swarms of wasps! :bomb::help:

No, wasps are not worse than midges. You can take out a wasp nest or you can walk away. Midges are everywhere.

• Like 2

Posted

No, wasps are not worse than midges. You can take out a wasp nest or you can walk away. Midges are everywhere.

Wasps are vindictive little pests  :laugh:

Edited by ajpoolshark