Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

pressure charts

Hi there,

I would be so grateful if anyone could help me.  I have some surface pressure charts in which I have to measure the distance an area of low air pressure over the UK has travelling (pictures attached).  Can anyone advice me how you measure the distance?  the scales are not given so I cannot physically measure it.

Thank you :)

post-22190-0-27507400-1398073804_thumb.g

post-22190-0-98053800-1398073807_thumb.g

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France

The further north you go on a globe the lines of longitude become closer together so that eventually at the poles they meet but on a two dimensional chart they are parallel, meaning that at the northern latitudes the areas are depicted wider than what they actually are.

There is a device, a bit like a wide plastic see through ruler which can give you different readings of distance at different latitudes, depending on how you place this on the chart. I think you would need the device calibrated for the particular chart you are using.

Posted

roughly 1 degree lat is 60 nautical miles if my memory serves me correctly from years ago?