Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2014 thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Well its another fine summer like day here. Sun is shining, its warm and there are a lot of happy people out and about.

Significant improvement on the so called summer month of August!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Its definitely Autumn from about 6pm to midday. Lovely.

• Like 1

Posted

Its definitely Autumn from about 6pm to midday. Lovely.

Yes, the cold and darker mornings and evenings are a reminder that autumn is here in a way. I'm noticing trees shedding their leaves at a faster rate now. I've not recorded a wind gust above 11mph all month so far - I suspect a bit more wind would make the trees look a little barer too.

Edited by h2005uk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Certainly an Autumnal feel to things now in the evening with it turning cooler quicker as the sun goes down and a nip in the air first thing in the mornings. Come late morning/afternoon it's felt like Summer these last few days with temps approaching 20c and light winds, really pleasant period of summer like early Autumn weather - long may it last, next week could be even warmer still.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Wonder if we are about to enter autumn on a thundery note...some of the charts look promising for a bit of a humid, showery breakdown...

...although we need to get there first!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Temperatures really soaring on the GFS 18z considering by the end of next week we will be 2/3 through September. Very pleasant again today with very light winds making temps in the high teens seem quite a bit warmer.

Posted

Anyone else think the BBC have bottled it with the forecasts for the next few days? Particularly for my area (Liverpool), they've just given up and gone for cloudy all the way through until Tuesday. When in actual fact, the maps on their forecasts show spells of cloud and sun and the weather is currently a mix of cloud and sunny spells. Had me worried that it would be a cloudy weekend though it's actually looking pretty decent.

Edited by Snowy L

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Yes, the cold and darker mornings and evenings are a reminder that autumn is here in a way. I'm noticing trees shedding their leaves at a faster rate now. I've not recorded a wind gust above 11mph all month so far - I suspect a bit more wind would make the trees look a little barer too.

Most of the leaves stay on until late October so won't look bare until very end of October/ early November.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

GFS 06z shows temperatures into the mid to high 20's for the south for a time next week with a risk of some heavy possibly thundery showers as the humidity levels rise

ukmaxtemp.pngukmaxtemp.pngukmaxtemp.png

• Like 2

Posted

GFS 12z is also stunning for a very late burst of summerlike warmth.

Rtavn17417.gif

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Looks like summer will return for the next few days at least esp in the south could hit 26-27c.

• Like 1

Posted

Looks like summer will return for the next few days at least esp in the south could hit 26-27c.

Damn thing barely ever went away. Getting very tiresome now - let's hope the payback is swift and severe, when it inevitably comes.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Damn thing barely ever went away. Getting very tiresome now - let's hope the payback is swift and severe, when it inevitably comes.

Sun hardly feels particularly strong now though and has that 'wishy washy' feel and is at a much lower angle in the sky. Even with the warm temps it doesn't feel like high summer.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Nope. Looks like it is going to be mild and warm for the foreseeable future. Bad luck for you, good luck for most of us here though who want to enjoy nice, pleasant conditions!

• Like 3

Posted

Nope. Looks like it is going to be mild and warm for the foreseeable future. Bad luck for you, good luck for most of us here though who want to enjoy nice, pleasant conditions!

Rub it in whydontcha? At least it's getting dark at a reasonable hour - you can't take that away from me!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Rub it in whydontcha? At least it's getting dark at a reasonable hour - you can't take that away from me!

Luckily for you it is actually going to get cooler and wetter after the weekend so you just have to sit tight for the rest of this week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Looks like the last real shot at summer in the south for the rest of the week and into Saturday...wouldn't be surprised if we see 28c in London on Friday.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

No summer extension for us up here in the North (proper North, not Liverpool/Manchester). Grey and dull, cool and damp.

Certainly is, but whats new? Its always the same with these huge NE high pressures..sure would be a cold one in the depth of winter, but this time of year it just promotes the said cool dull conditions especially here along the NE coast. I am waiting for the winds of change to blow this muck away and bring in the Atlantic, whether it comes from SW,W or NW, I dont care......Tis playing havoc with my 'cluster' cycle this time around..!

Edited by NL

Posted

Certainly is, but whats new? Its always the same with these huge NE high pressures..sure would be a cold one in the depth of winter, but this time of year it just promotes the said cool dull conditions especially here along the NE coast. I am waiting for the winds of change to blow this muck away and bring in the Atlantic, whether it comes from SW,W or NW, I dont care......Tis playing havoc with my 'cluster' cycle this time around..!

Its been a particularly bad year for it aswell. Since pretty much early March we've had almost much constant easterlies. The only break from it was ironically early August, which was worse than the rest of the summer everywhere else in the UK but better close to eastern coasts!

Today is very grim: overcast, misty and dull with persistent drizzle. The temp is also disappointing at 16.1C.

Posted

Starting to get a bit fed up with this greyness. I miss being able to see the hills of North Lincolnshire from my office window and the fluffy cumulus passing by against a blue sky. There does appear to be a change on the horizon though. I do agree its been quite a frustrating summer for those on the east coast.

Posted

Starting to get a bit fed up with this greyness. I miss being able to see the hills of North Lincolnshire from my office window and the fluffy cumulus passing by against a blue sky. There does appear to be a change on the horizon though. I do agree its been quite a frustrating summer for those on the east coast.

There's only been 51 hours of sunshine this month here so far, to avoid being the dullest I've ever recorded we need 5.5hrs per day for the last 13 days of the month. Its not looking promising!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Seemed to join the grey fun today. Surprising that even areas such as Cambridge were stuck under grey skies for the entire day.

Posted

Seemed to join the grey fun today. Surprising that even areas such as Cambridge were stuck under grey skies for the entire day.

Yes - Chelmsford was grey today! Well the sky was anyway.

Disappointing day in terms of temps too - forecast to be 23C but no higher than 20.3C for me, and the Writtle and Andrewsfield stations didn't get higher than 20Cish either. I suppose the danger at this time of year is that cloud/mist/fog is likely to linger as the sun isn't so strong.

It's weird to think we're only a few days from the autumn equinox - it's felt more like a dull-ish July over the last few weeks.

Posted

September is rivalling July here in West Wales! 

Bone dry, very sunny and warm, mean maximum at 20.8c has not happened this far into the month for some while.

Ground is baked hard, vegetation on hill sides is browning, streams are running very low.

My estimated sunshine total running at 130 hours (mean for whole Sept 125 hours) so we are sunnier than any of the official weather sites.

Edited by TonyH