Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2014 thread

Posted

And with the "can't complain argument", you have to remember that we are in the UK, meaning that low pressure is always a threat at any time of the year. We have had a very good spring and a very good June and July, meaning that we've had five anticyclonic and warm months, which is pretty good for the UK. Don't forget we could have just had another summer 2007, 2010 or 2012.

Low pressure per se isn't what's bothering me (though I'm definitely a high pressure man in summer), it's the overall synoptics (southerly jet, Greenland High, Scandi Low). This is an unusually cool spell of weather for the time of year, even by our lowly standards. Seeing a high of 15C on the weather forecast with NWerly winds day after day is the absolute pits, though thankfully there are signs of improvement around the corner.

And spring was boring for the most part. A warm March and April can't possibly compensate for a disappointing August.

Edited by AderynCoch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Low pressure per se isn't what's bothering me (though I'm definitely a high pressure man in summer), it's the overall synoptics (southerly jet, Greenland High, Scandi Low). This is an unusually cool spell of weather for the time of year, even by our lowly standards. Seeing a high of 15C on the weather forecast with NWerly winds day after day is the absolute pits, though thankfully there are signs of improvement around the corner.

And spring was boring for the most part. A warm March and April can't possibly compensate for a disappointing August.

yes, the worst if you live in Staffordshire, rest of UK surely not too bad

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

northerly outbreaks or southerly plumes, which one wins out on average :p

Neither most of the time..... stupid Atlantic  :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted

June 2013 was quite poor.

I wouldn't call it quite poor. Around here it was sunnier, drier than average and temperatures close to average.So not bad. As for summer 2014 as a whole, not bad. I think the Manchester Summer Index is going to be in the 220s at the end.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

June 2013 was often cool & cloudy for eastern areas due to endless low cloud from the North Sea and the Ely winds that ran from late Jan to sometime in July. The exception was the weekend of my wedding (21st) when a big Atlantic depression made itself very felt! After that things warmed up and summer got going - well bar the odd chilly drizzly weekend we got in July from our friend the North Sea - those low SSTs after the freezing spring really had an effect.

Posted

The exception was the weekend of my wedding (21st) when a big Atlantic depression made itself very felt!

All weddings are followed by a big depression - Atlantic or otherwise.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

South of the Alps recently. Southern Europe has been quite toasty in the low 30s.

Correct but even they are running a couple of degrees below normal, Lisbon & Pisa for example have had a cooler than average summer.

Posted

June 2013 was often cool & cloudy for eastern areas due to endless low cloud from the North Sea and the Ely winds that ran from late Jan to sometime in July. The exception was the weekend of my wedding (21st) when a big Atlantic depression made itself very felt! After that things warmed up and summer got going - well bar the odd chilly drizzly weekend we got in July from our friend the North Sea - those low SSTs after the freezing spring really had an effect.

Actually that wasn't the case for us near the coast, this June was duller. In 2013, April, May and June were actually pretty sunny overall here, whereas this year they were dire.

April, May and June 2013 had around 60mm less rain and 100 hours more sunshine than this year despite being much cooler. The easterly winds last year weren't that prevalent. This year on the other hand they were relentless! Its more to do with the actual wind direction than cold SSTs. It doesn't really matter whether the North Sea is 5C or 7C, you'll always get cloud if the wind direction is right.

Edited by reef

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Ah perhaps it was worse this year but I know last year felt endlessly cool until later in June.... But gladly I no longer have to deal with that nasty low cloud stuff off the sea! Although I'm told Berlin suffers endless low cloud & low temperatures in winter - can go several sunless weeks. Although this winter was mostly sunny & mild - lovely it was!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Summer hasnt left our shores just yet. After the vile week just gone it could even be described at warm next week with temperatures back into the low 20s. The often unsettled conditions wont really bother me, i just want a rise in temperature and humidity.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Summer hasnt left our shores just yet. After the vile week just gone it could even be described at warm next week with temperatures back into the low 20s. The often unsettled conditions wont really bother me, i just want a rise in temperature and humidity.

I understand the heat but why would you want higher humidity.
  • Like 5

Posted

Because it keeps it warmer in the evenings for longer - vital if you want to enjoy the garden after work with maxes only in the low 20s. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

During the daytime the temperatures are now below my comfortable "sit outside with a beer" threshold, but the nights are absolutely gorgeous for sleeping in.

• Like 1

Posted

I understand the heat but why would you want higher humidity.

Normally means softer more comfortable air. The low humidity of the week just gone had brought air that has a real edge and a nip to it when out and about.

• Like 1

Posted

There's quite a pronounced centre to the low pressure just to the south of Ireland on the satellite images today. Impressive to look it if a little disappointing for the time of year:

post-2418-0-99090600-1408975373_thumb.jp

(from the Metoffice)

Edited by reef
  • Like 2

There's quite a pronounced centre to the low pressure just to the south of Ireland on the satellite images today. Impressive to look it if a little disappointing for the time of year:

http:////f1.nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gifukvis_sat_201408251300.jpg

(from the Metoffice)

Pretty, looks even better on this high res image (click to view)

http://extweb.west-cheshire.ac.uk/weather/images/msg/HRV.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot and sunny

Pretty, looks even better on this high res image (click to view)

http://extweb.west-cheshire.ac.uk/weather/images/msg/HRV.jpg

impressive :good: 

also nice to see Scotland having some good weather well most of Scotland

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Nearly 4 inches of rain this month and we are not done yet along with cool temps making this an remarkable late summer month for all the wrong reasons... :closedeyes:  :nonono:  :nonono:

Posted

impressive :good:

also nice to see Scotland having some good weather well most of Scotland

It was sunny here today but the temperatures were dire. A max of only 15.3C. It really has been remarkable how cool the maxima have been despite most days having reasonable amounts of sunshine. Hasn't reached 16C since the 17th and only one day since the 10th has reached the average of 18C.

Mean max for August will be about 3C down on July which followed July having almost 100 hours more sun than June. Definitely been an unusual summer for extreme contrasts.

Edited by Richard2901

Posted

Continues cool over here too although now looking good for warming up properly again with temps lifting towards the low to mid 20s by Thursday & the weekend. At last! My peppers & tomatoes suddenly looking quite miffed with this coolness.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

Truly dismal again here today. Near constant rain, max of 17c and nothing but cloud and high wind. And I was quite taken back by the amount of leaves on the ground. In August.....unbelievable. 

BUT

Summer looks like it's returning later in the week and especially next week. The ECM charts look fantastic and the GFS is looking good too. Very likely settled and warm to even hot spell coming up. Some seem to lose hope as soon as we hit September 1st, like the switch for Summer is turned off and Autumn starts. I'm afraid the seasons don't work like that and I've known September to come and save the day MANY times after a ever increasing dismal August. 

Will be nice to finally see some sun and decent warmth again. This has honestly been one of the worst Summer months in my 22 years of life. Can't wait to see the back of it. 

Edited by matty007

Posted

Pleased to see that September will resume the warm and sunny conditions that were sadly cut short back at the start of the month. Ive forgotten what a very warm day feels like its been so long. Days to the beach and shorts and tshirt weather will continue for a while longer.... if the models are correct.

• Like 2