Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Air quality

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

With a south easterly wind continuing into next week the air quality over parts of England and Wales is likely to deteriorate over the coming days with levels hitting high to very high in places

2 places in the south are currently high and are at the highest end on the high scale at 9 they are London Hillingdon Hayes & London Borough of Hillingdon

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

Exceptionally poor air quality, especially for those in densely polluted cities.

I would recommend to not go outside on Tuesday, unless it's something urgent, low air quality can be damaging for your health be vigilant, has there every been warnings on poor air quality? - It is a silent killer, which make it even more deadly.

Posted

Funnily enough I was commenting that the air quality seemed poor when I was out earlier on today, with a noticeable haze in the air. It also did on a couple of days earlier in the month.

What gives?

Posted

Funnily enough I was commenting that the air quality seemed poor when I was out earlier on today, with a noticeable haze in the air. It also did on a couple of days earlier in the month.

What gives?

Same around here; been out shopping and the atmosphere is redolent of bonfire night but without the smell.....

Posted

One of the advantages of living in Cumbria , never really think about air pollution and the problems it brings !!....

You are fortunate, clean country air does you some good. I had no idea on what the pollutants in the air, have done to my body, it is a relief to get into the country. Luckily during the summer we spend a large portion of time in a place near hastings, very refreshing. The air on Tuesday is very still, little movement this is why air pollution is intensified, I'm definitely not a expect but it sounds reasonable? Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I'm having a break in Norwich and it has been very hazy here since Friday, and since the Norwich area isn't generally one of the more polluted parts of the country, chances are it is mainly due to pollution imported from the continent via easterly and south-easterly winds.

I think that for most people the air quality won't go low enough to create significant health issues.  I remember a high pollution episode in April 2011, when conditions were generally similarly hazy, and although pollution levels frequently exceeded EU target minimum levels, they were not generally dangerously high, except in some areas of London at times where conditions bordered on smog.  For people with significant health complications such as strong asthma it may be a more serious matter though and some care may be needed when going outdoors.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 1

Posted

Latest Air pollution for London

Sunday 5 - moderate

Monday 8 - high

Tuesday 10 - very high

Wednesday 9 - high

Posted

And of course GW will increase concentrations of low level ozone thus leading to more deaths a year and increased asthma. We also get pollution in these parts from a SE with a long fetch from Europe.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted

We have a 10 - Very High. It was to be expected as I'm located in Greater London, the epicentre of air pollution.

All air pollution is bad for you, even for young healthy individuals, asthma sufferers and those who has breathing problems, i would strongly discourage you to wander outside, particulary in London. I believe that one day, the air pollution will get so bad they will impose people to not travel by car unless nessecary. It is a major problem, it kills millions. More has to be done imo.

We dont want to end up like Beijing!

Posted

Latest on today's pollution from defra

Today

Moderate to High air pollution is expected to remain across England and Wales. Air pollution is expected to remain low across all other areas of the UK. The situation is expected to continue on Monday with levels reaching moderate to High levels due to particulate matter (PM10 & PM2.5) over England and Wales. Low air pollution expected over Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Funny that this thread has appeared, I've been really noticing it myself as if we are in the NE United States or something! 

Bad thing is, I'm asthmatic, so will I be ok? What are peoples recommendations for me!

Posted

Latest for pollution on Monday from defra

Monday

Moderate to High air pollution is expected to remain across England and Wales. Air pollution is expected to remain low across all other areas of the UK. The situation is expected to continue on Tuesday with levels reaching moderate to High levels due to particulate matter (PM10 & PM2.5) over England and Wales. Low air pollution expected over Scotland and Northern Ireland (Moderate levels over Glasgow & Edinburgh).

Currently there are currently no air pollution alerts issued

Posted

And of course GW will increase concentrations of low level ozone thus leading to more deaths a year and increased asthma.

And how exactly is Gray Wolf gonna pull that one off?

Posted

Not just pollution affecting the UK over the coming days

@bbcweather 

Dust and sand from the Sahara will continue to be transported towards the UK of the next few days by southerly winds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Certainly was notable yesterday with quite a significant haze. Although it was quite convenient seeing as I forgot to take my cap to the football yesterday...

Posted

With a south easterly wind continuing into next week the air quality over southern parts of Britain is likely to deteriorate over the coming days with levels hitting high to very high in places

2 places in the south are currently high and are at the highest end on the high scale at 9 they are London Hillingdon Hayes & London Borough of Hillingdon

Thanks for posting this info SS.

I live in the London Borough of Hillingdon and I'm suprised the readings were that high. It was quite breezy all day and there was not much evidence of any hazy skies. I suffer from asthma but didn't feel any worse yesterday. The reading for Hayes (also in the London Borough of Hillingdon ) is quite likely due to it's proximity to Heathrow Airport.

Posted

Thanks for posting this info SS.

I live in the London Borough of Hillingdon and I'm suprised the readings were that high. It was quite breezy all day and there was not much evidence of any hazy skies. I suffer from asthma but didn't feel any worse yesterday. The reading for Hayes (also in the London Borough of Hillingdon ) is quite likely due to it's proximity to Heathrow Airport.

London Borough of Hillingdon is expected to peak on Tuesday and Wednesday with a rating of 10 which is very high air pollution

9 today and tomorrow high air pollution

Down to 6 by Thursday which is moderate air pollution

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Air quality will be '7' today and tomorrow, falling to 4 on Tuesday and 3 by Thursday. A lot of haze and pollution but without the sun and warmth. Great.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Air quality is forecast to be 10 here on Wednesday, and 10 in London Monday-Wednesday. Does anyone know how common it is to see 10's? Does it happen multiple times per year or is it rarer than that?

I have never seen 10 before. Not sure I've even seen it above 7 before.
  • Like 1