Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Very Sloooooooooooooooow forums

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Keeps going into stall mode and refusing load pages. IE or Firefox just the same.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Have seen elsewhere that they are having data/server problems today, guess they are related, and yes I too have had the forum pages "stall" when loading this evening.

No expert on these forums but suspect database locks may be the cause, that or if they use stuff like JBoss that a restart may be needed of a linked partition (normally boots all the logged in users out though)

Edited by Jax

Posted

A few places seems slow this evening incl youtube videos not showing up.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

The problems aren't something on our side, all the servers are fine and it's definitely unrelated to the data issue we had on the forecasts first thing this morning. Perhaps it's something on the UK backbone network somewhere between some locations and our servers. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

I've been having issues in the last few days, in Chrome, where I have to 'kill' the page and reboot, which does generally sort it. It just makes it a minor p.i.t.a.

Well over half the time, when it happens, I can see a message saying that 'app.struq.com' is waiting to load and it inevitably doesn't once I see that message...

I have recently changed ISP though, so that might easily be the problem. :)

Posted

I'd recommend clearing your browser cookies and cache, 9 times out of 10 it solves problems like that (on here and on other sites). 

Posted

Problem has gone away. I use private browsing so cookies aren't the issue. No other web sites effected. Still could be a local routing problem or was. Time will tell.

Posted

Oh how we miss the days of dial-up!!

Posted

If the server is fine and the issue is interrmittant and across users in different locales I would suspect the sites local WAN connection is/was an issue for a time no?

Posted

No, as that would show up on monitoring of the connectivity into the server/site and it didn't - we have independent monitoring from various locations and none of them flagged anything at all. 

Posted

No, as that would show up on monitoring of the connectivity into the server/site and it didn't - we have independent monitoring from various locations and none of them flagged anything at all. 

Paul, i've never found you slow at anything regarding NW :)

Mick

I'd recommend clearing your browser cookies and cache, 9 times out of 10 it solves problems like that (on here and on other sites). 

have you got that set up as a copy and paste?

Posted

OK, fair enough, in that case would be interesting to see what providers all affected were/are using in that case.

Posted

If the server is fine and the issue is interrmittant and across users in different locales I would suspect the sites local WAN connection is/was an issue for a time no?

Agreed. If we were all on the same ISP it would indicate an issue with the ISP since we aren't it points to a local issue which hasn't been detected. Also if it was a ISP problem it most likely effect other sites.

Posted

But if it were a problem locally on the servers or the network within the datacentre then everyone would be affected, which they weren't. We also have external monitoring which tests connectivity and speed of response every minute from locations both in the UK and worldwide, none of which showed even a small spike.

Trust me, when there are problems with the servers I'm the first person to want them fixed but this time there's nothing to fix. The likeliest explanation is that there was a network problem into the region our servers are in, think of it as a delay on a particular motorway or A road somewhere on the UK network - not everyone will take that route as there are multiple routes to each destination, only some destinations will be affected and as there are millions of destinations/sites out there you may only use one which you happen to use that route to reach.

Posted

Agreed. If we were all on the same ISP it would indicate an issue with the ISP since we aren't it points to a local issue which hasn't been detected. Also if it was a ISP problem it most likely effect other sites.

But if it were a problem locally on the servers or the network within the datacentre then everyone would be affected, which they weren't. We also have external monitoring which tests connectivity and speed of response every minute from locations both in the UK and worldwide, none of which showed even a small spike.

Trust me, when there are problems with the servers I'm the first person to want them fixed but this time there's nothing to fix. The likeliest explanation is that there was a network problem into the region our servers are in, think of it as a delay on a particular motorway or A road somewhere on the UK network - not everyone will take that route as there are multiple routes to each destination, only some destinations will be affected and as there are millions of destinations/sites out there you may only use one which you happen to use that route to reach.

Sorry, you mis-understood me, what I meant was if it was just VM or BT etc users, it may be their their network to customers was having issues, say DNS or backbone traffic management, maybe some areas were busy due to capacity issues, that is what I meant, not the forum network.