Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Frogs, newts and spawn

picog

Posted

As we are starting the season of frog-iness, I wondered if anyone has spawn yet?

I saw a newt in the pond today, and had a large frog just outside the back door over the weekend. Last year's spawn was about 1 month later than usual here — usual time is around March 7/8.

Posted

We have a few frogs lurking and at least one pair coupled but the pond is still a bit cold yet. If we get a warmish spell during the latter part of the week there may be a bit more activity.

As a matter of interest, we have only had 3 or 4 days with ice on the pond and it has never completely frozen over this year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Lots of activity in the pond, hopefully will see frog spawn soon.

Still no sign of any newts, had the pond 3yrs now. Guess they don't like my pondPosted Image

Posted

Frog spawn in the pond by the bucket load.

Must have been busy over the last day or so.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Still waiting for the few frogs that usually appear in our pond. Hope so we had absolutely shed loads of frogspawn last year!! Luckily the birds didn't get them as they were all hidden under loads of water lillies. :)

Posted

Frog spawn in the pond by the bucket load. Must have been busy over the last day or so.

Crumbs that's early. Or maybe that's normal for your area? Absolutely zilch here so far, not even a croak. Plenty of time though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

As we are starting the season of frog-iness, I wondered if anyone has spawn yet?I saw a newt in the pond today, and had a large frog just outside the back door over the weekend. Last year's spawn was about 1 month later than usual here — usual time is around March 7/8.

The frogs spawned nearly a month ago in my pond, I have thousands of tadpoles basking in the sunshine now. One or two newts have been spotted too, great time of year. :)

Posted
picog, on 05 Mar 2014 - 17:03, said:

Crumbs that's early. Or maybe that's normal for your area? Absolutely zilch here so far, not even a croak. Plenty of time though.

strangely enough, it a little later this year than last. I think it was a few weeks earlier last year.

Still thrashing around in the pond, so might be some more spawn soon.

Posted

Turned mild and wet today and the pond is alive with frogs. No spawn yet but a few are croaking and I think the chorus will be going full volume after dusk.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Frogs busy this morning. Amazing how they always prefer the pond with the Goldfish in.

Posted

Strange question, but how can you see Newts in your pond. Are they easily visible under water, or are they more often seen out of water?

Just never seen any in my pond, and I think it's perfect for them as it's a wildlife pond. I even have a smaller pond next to the bigger one which has no frogs in it. but has lots of rocks and waterplants for creatures to hide under.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

You will normally see Newts floating on the surface on warm hot days, they can be spotted under water to depending on how clear your pond water is,  but very rarely do i see them out of water only the odd time, lovely creatures to see...

I've a few dew ponds in the fields round here, will check them for spawn this weekend.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

Thanks Polar, going by what you say, I think my pond is Newt free. I'm sure I would have seen some by now.

Posted

Few croaks last night, so fingers crossed.

SteveB, newts generally "float" about 6 inches below the surface of the pond. Being air breathers they do come up for the odd gulp too. I am surprised if you really have no newts — I think we have more newts than frogs. On a warm summer's day I can easily see 6 or 7 in the pond.

Newt tadpole (if that's what they are called) are like big brown tadpoles that move suddenly and incredibly quickly. They are quite different to frog and toad tadpoles. By the end of summer, they have developed into miniature newts — very cute, like tiny year 1 frogs.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I found a second area of tadpoles at the other end of the pond, I'm gonna have to move them to the smaller one with no fish, there's a 9lb koi sniffing around which would gulp them down pretty quickly!

post-15177-0-29274800-1394209500_thumb.j

Posted
picog, on 07 Mar 2014 - 12:49, said:

Few croaks last night, so fingers crossed.SteveB, newts generally "float" about 6 inches below the surface of the pond. Being air breathers they do come up for the odd gulp too. I am surprised if you really have no newts — I think we have more newts than frogs. On a warm summer's day I can easily see 6 or 7 in the pond.Newt tadpole (if that's what they are called) are like big brown tadpoles that move suddenly and incredibly quickly. They are quite different to frog and toad tadpoles. By the end of summer, they have developed into miniature newts — very cute, like tiny year 1 frogs.

Hi picog,

It's not a big pond, around 6' x 4', I'm sure I would have seen the odd Newt floating around, unless they hide when I get near.

Will have another look over the weekend.

Posted

Gone very chilly here today (We have had several snow showers!) and the pond has gone a bit quiet. The other night it was standing room only and I had to round up half a dozen frogs and chase them into the pond before I could let the dog out.

Posted

We're in business. First blobs of spawn arrived yesterday, and lots of croaking last night.

Posted

On the grounds that this is about seasonal animals, I thought I'd post here the first appearance of the year of a daddy-long-legs. Is it autumn already?

Posted

Newts having a nibble at the frog spawn. Running at 5 big blobs.

Saw my first honey bee and a couple of bumble bees yesterday too.

Posted

Saw the first butterfly Sunday. Frogs after a brief rest have now produced the most frog spawn I've seen for many a year.

Posted

Saw the first butterfly Sunday. Frogs after a brief rest have now produced the most frog spawn I've seen for many a year.

Lucky you! We have just 12 blobs of spawn, so running well short of last years' total of 38! Three newts having a munch this morning.

Posted

Still spawning in two ponds.

Posted

seen plenty of newts in our managed pond at Bakewell, plenty brown ones with yellow bellies and feet also seen great crested newts, plus frogs, spawn and lots of water snails.

• Like 1

Posted

Down the local Middleton Dale here there is masses of frog spawn on the mud flats at the edge of the river,  which is slowly drying up as it does every year due to poor river management and local mining, is it best to move the spawn to another location or let nature take it's course ?