Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The record-breaking heat and sunshine of July 2006

knocker

Posted

Apologies if this and any other articles I post have been posted before but it's rather time consuming ploughing through all the posts.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/wea.101/pdf

I hope you have authority for this really interesting article mate?

One soon forgets just how exceptional that month was; the Wiley library of data mostly from Weather is a great site.

Posted

I hope you have authority for this really interesting article mate?

One soon forgets just how exceptional that month was; the Wiley library of data mostly from Weather is a great site.

Sorry not with you John as I've only linked to the article.

Posted

Sorry not with you John as I've only linked to the article.

apologies-quite correct

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

July 2006 was the first Hot month that i did not enjoy...up to that point i always looked for dry hot sunny weather in summer..since then my preference has changed to sunny and average to warm..in fact i would now take sunny and cool over sunny and hot during the summer.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

July 06 was an exceptional month and one that i love. 

While i'm not generally a fan of summer heat and indeed i often found it too humid i am a lover of extremes and continued 30C even in Leeds (i'm sure TWS has more in depth records) was certainly exceptional. In addition, being just 17 i spent the entire summer drunk, smoking my shisha or simply sunbathing in the back garden. Care free and lovely weather.

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

It was exceptional indeed with an average high of 26C in Church Fenton. The only thing I was disappointed by was the lack of very hot days - absolute max was 31C, a value which has been reached on more than one occasion since then. Places like Liverpool and Anglesey benefited from fohn winds on days when conditions were favourable.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Will never forget this brilliant month! Being 3 years into secondary school with no responsibilities at all, I remember being out until midnight every night just having barbecues and playing football on the lovely warm, even hot evenings! Bliss it was.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

July 06 was an exceptional month and one that i love. 

While i'm not generally a fan of summer heat and indeed i often found it too humid i am a lover of extremes and continued 30C even in Leeds (i'm sure TWS has more in depth records) was certainly exceptional. In addition, being just 17 i spent the entire summer drunk, smoking my shisha or simply sunbathing in the back garden. Care free and lovely weather.

Although I spent most of that month in Leeds I don't have weather records from Leeds- though I do have records from Cleadon in South Tyneside.  The first week of the month had easterly breezes and some issues with "haar" there, but after that, winds from the south-western quarter of the compass kept fending off the sea breezes and it was exceptionally warm/hot and sunny, with 29C on a couple of the days and an average maximum of 23C compared with the long-term normal of 19C.

I think that in Leeds the average maximum for July 2006 was somewhere between 25 and 26C.  I thoroughly enjoyed that month, it was a little on the hot side for me during some afternoons but the pleasantly warm evenings more than compensated, and it wasn't boring weather-wise either, as the hot sunshine was occasionally interrupted by showers/thunderstorms, including a big thunderstorm on the evening of the 3rd, which I remember crept up almost from nowhere- it had been clear and sunny all day, then all of a sudden I saw the top of a line of cumulonimbus cells lurking out of the haze, and then the sun went in, and an hour later the thunder was rumbling away repeatedly.  Humidity was often on the low side which also helped to prevent the heat from getting too much- I found the hot end of July 2008 much less comfortable despite it not being quite as hot, because it was more humid.

There was a taste of things to come during June 2006 which was similarly hot and sunny during the first 12 days with occasional short sharp showers on a few of the days, and thunderstorms on the 12th, though from the 13th onwards cloudy westerlies on the northern flank of the Azores High were often an issue.  Many southern areas, though, were also exceptionally sunny for much of June as well.

However such hot summer months will always be a struggle for many in inland parts of the south-east, especially central London where there is often no escaping the heat and the temperatures in the London Underground soon become unbearable.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers