Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 15/02/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Please continue your regional weather chats here..

link to the previous thread:

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/79425-south-east-england-east-anglia-regional-weather-discussion-130214/page-71#entry2933200

Edited by MKsnowangel
  • Like 1

Posted

Thanks for the new thread MK :)

Well I found my Christmas tree on the dog walk, sheltering by someones garage.  I also noted my next door neighbour's arial is hanging by a thread, so alerted him to that.  And a couple of doors down have lost their back gate completely and I couldn't see it anywhere. Posted Image  No trees down that I could see though. 

I've moved my tree inside the back gate and closer to the house.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Next door have lost half their fence over night (so along with the big tree out back and the gardens being re-arranged it appears to be our stormiest night of the year so far)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Experienced worse windstorms than last night, not as bad as the Burns Day 25th Jan 1990 and no a patch on the Great Storm of 16th Oct 1987 and there might have been one or two other storms as bad, think there was one in October 2000 that was a bad if not worse. What is notable is the number of these deep depressions and duration of strong winds this winter.

But, it was a tense drive home from work near Heathrow to Croydon between 11pm and midnight, one largish evergreen oak tree down across the road near Mitcham in south London, but managed to get past it. Quite a few moving recycling bins to dodge in the road, a big downside of the trying to be greener!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.

mother in law just repoted the huge conifer at the bottom of her garden came down.

Luckily its gone down the other way as it would have gone straight throught the house!

posh fencing and swing chair trashed.

But noone hurt thank goodness.

The clear up will be a long job its a monster of a tree.

This belongs to people at the bottom of her garden behind the fence so whos got to pay for it???

• Like 2

Posted

I can only go by the very scientific method of how much noise the wind was making and based on that it was stronger than St Jude or Xmas eve eve for me. Had a quick check before work and apart from wheelie bins on their side all seems intact.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Still very windy this morning,but as Tilly pointed out it don't feel as nerve wracking in the day as night time.

Interesting how fear is more apparent at night during darkness, maybe our senses are designed this way from the past, for survival.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

I can only go by the very scientific method of how much noise the wind was making and based on that it was stronger than St Jude or Xmas eve eve for me. Had a quick check before work and apart from wheelie bins on their side all seems intact.

Same here mate stronger than both St Jude and 23rd December, it's starting gusting quite hard again in the last 15 minutes I almost got blown over taking the washing out to the tumble dryer in our garage.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

I'm wondering now, due to previous postings...

Did 1987 produce a reliable inland gust of 100mph or more in our locality? I know Gatwick had 99mph and London 94mph, but I can't remember reading of anything higher non coastal.

Posted

I'm wondering now, due to previous postings...Did 1987 produce a reliable inland gust of 100mph or more in our locality? I know Gatwick had 99mph and London 94mph, but I can't remember reading of anything higher non coastal.

I know it's high up but the barometer at the top of the BT Tower in London recorded 107mph before it stopped taking readings, Shoreham recorded 115mph and Folkestone in Norfolk reached 122mph the highest gust recorded on British mainland in the channel islands gusts of over 130mph where reported.

Posted

Good morning, is everyone ok after last night? It was very windy here and woke me several times, I was exhausted though so didn't listen to it much.Haven't seen what its like outside yet in terms of damage but the wind is still blowing even now

http://www.lowestoftjournal.co.uk/news/gale_force_winds_batter_norfolk_and_suffolk_causing_thousands_to_lose_power_and_trees_to_come_down_1_3322664

This is the local damage

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Experienced worse windstorms than last night, not as bad as the Burns Day 25th Jan 1990 and no a patch on the Great Storm of 16th Oct 1987 and there might have been one or two other storms as bad, think there was one in October 2000 that was a bad if not worse. What is notable is the number of these deep depressions and duration of strong winds this winter.

But, it was a tense drive home from work near Heathrow to Croydon between 11pm and midnight, one largish evergreen oak tree down across the road near Mitcham in south London, but managed to get past it. Quite a few moving recycling bins to dodge in the road, a big downside of the trying to be greener!

Locally to me last nights winds appear to have caused the most damaged since 1987, and it is the most I have seen around me in the seven years I have lived here, it may just be the combined impact of so many wind storms in a short period, who knows?

I know it's high up but the barometer at the top of the BT Tower in London recorded 107mph before it stopped taking readings, Shoreham recorded 115mph and Folkestone in Norfolk reached 122mph the highest gust recorded on British mainland in the channel islands gusts of over 130mph where reported.

You mean anemometer right Posted Image

Posted

Just got in from a strange walk out this morning to sainsburys and back.. nobody around.. very few people inside the store as well, its like everybody is scared to come out Posted Image  anyway besides the odd strong gust the sunshine is rather warm.

Posted

I honestly don't recall the October 2000 storm Knightrider, but then again my memory isn't what is used to be :)

Lol clearly not I was only 14 but remember it like yesterday it left such an impression on me, it was terrifying no other word for it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

Lol clearly not I was only 14 but remember it like yesterday it left such an impression on me, it was terrifying no other word for it!

I honestly think that after experiencing October 1987, everything else just pales in comparison and they don't stand out in my memory. Be thankful you were only about 1 when that one happened; I thought war had broken out from the racket it made!
  • Like 3

Posted

Locally to me last nights winds appear to have caused the most damaged since 1987, and it is the most I have seen around me in the seven years I have lived here, it may just be the combined impact of so many wind storms in a short period, who knows?

You mean anemometer right Posted Image

I thought a Barometer measured winds or is that rain? I get these things mixed up all the time lol. But those where the gusts in 1987 I've read about it on Wikipedia and watched some documentaries on it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow, Storms. Summer: Heat, Thunder

Nothing too severe in London, it sounded a lot more dramatic than it actually was with the roar of the trees. I'd estimate gusts around 50mph tops here

Posted

I honestly think that after experiencing October 1987, everything else just pales in comparison and they don't stand out in my memory. Be thankful you were only about 1 when that one happened; I thought war had broken out from the racket it made!

Yes I can imagine it was horrendous, 2000 was bad enough I remember asking my dad the next morning if that was what 87 was like and he said categorically no but not far off 80-90mph as opposed to 100mph+

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Must have had a massive gust just now as my neighbors bin which was already laying down, has now been blown across the road.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Sun trying to peek through and there are small patches of blue with fast moving clouds. It's still very windy though. Apparently we are still to have strong winds here (EA) with gusts up to 60 mph.

Awful scenes on Sky news. Penzance sea front battered. (Had some lovely holidays there) Porthleven looks horrendous, and as for poor Dawlish.....been along that stretch of line many, many times.

It's a nice change to be able to watch the news when I get up instead of Nick Junior and soddin' Peppa Pig. (I love Peppa really) :D

Have a good day, everyone, and do take every care. :)

• Like 5

Posted

I'm wondering now, due to previous postings...Did 1987 produce a reliable inland gust of 100mph or more in our locality? I know Gatwick had 99mph and London 94mph, but I can't remember reading of anything higher non coastal.

There was a gust of 106mph at Ashford Kent, always remember the measurement recorded, as I was living there (only 12 yrs old) at the time it went through, not sure if it was an official recording, but there is mention of it one of my weather books and here:

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twoother/twocontent.aspx?type=libgen&id=1433

What was notable was the duration and strength of the sustained wind speeds across the SE, let alone the very strong gusts, hence such widespread damge caused, flattening of woodland not helped by trees being in full leaf.

Good article here from RMS:

https://support.rms.com/publications/Great_Storm_of_1987.pdf

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Surprised we haven't had more damage to be honest. I really thought we would lose roof tiles as they were slamming like I've never heard. Neighbour lost a fence panel and we've lost our BBQ cover, but that's it.

I think Medway has avoided the worst of windstorms in the last year or so and last night was by far the worst one we've had in years.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Still getting the odd big gust here. Various roads closed due to fallen trees and other debris.