Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England/East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 30/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted

I live in a low lying area in the heart of Cambridgeshire and I must say, I've never seen the countryside this bad since I've lived here for 11years. The drainage ditch at the side of my house, which usually a) is never more than a few inches and b) has a lag time of a few hours, now regularly fills up instantly and last week got to over a foot and a half. Just been out back and seen the fields physically running off their water like a stream into the garden! Never seen that before, it is truly crazy. With heavy rain on Friday, Sunday and Tuesday forecast, this is shaping up to be a very critical week - and I'm on the dry side of the country!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow, Storms. Summer: Heat, Thunder

Still bucketing down here near Basildon, every time it threatens to brighten up the rain starts up again, heavier than its been all day at the moment! Can't remember when it started exactly but must be about 48 hours straight now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

The house insurance renewal 'invitation' has arrived.

Last year a very reasonable £154 buildings and contents

This year £443. Oh dear. And the broker says only one company will quote, they dont know why.

But we do live near a watercourse.... , but not in the flood area shaded part of the EA risk zone. Maybe insurers are running scared....

PS this is weather related Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes

Wow! The rain has now stopped and there is the brightest, most well defined rainbow I've ever seen outside my front door!Posted Image 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

OMG I do believe it may, just may have stopped raining here, now if all these does freeze tonight tomorrow morning in the early dark is going to be a bit of a pain.

Woke up this morning to find heavy sleety/wet snow falling, enough so that I had to use the scraper on the car windows to remove it, then a full on wet snow event mid morning, nothing down though.

May nip to the local shop as it has stopped raining and get the stamps I need (I did think I could make it a few days on the trot of not having to go out in the foul weather, never mind).

Posted

There is a shadow in the back garden.Oi, Hank, get off my land!AS

I lay upon a grassy bankMy hands were all a quiverI slowly undid her suspender beltAnd her leg fell in the river.- a poem by Sir Paul McCartney

(Old, but its about a river, so I beg this is on topic )

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any weather

Sleet! Genuine bonafide  sleet splattering all over my windscreen betwixt Northampton and Corby. And bloody cold too showing 2c whilst I was working outside.

The missus had some lovely ham sarnies for me when I got home. 

Which was nice.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

I see it!

Blue sky!

Just a smidge, but it's there!

Posted

I still seem to get SouthEastern's email alerts for some reason:

Severe weather is forecast this Friday evening (31 January) with high winds and more heavy rain predicted for the south east.

The safety of our passengers is our highest priority and with the risk of trees falling onto railway lines, flooding and landslips, Network Rail has put in place a 40 mph speed restriction across parts of the Southeastern network. This will take effect from 8pm Friday night until the close of service. 

We will work hard to provide the best possible service, however because of the speed restrictions trains will run slower than usual and some will be delayed or cancelled at short notice.  Services on Saturday may also be affected. Please allow additional time for your journey and check live running information from the Southeastern website before you travel. 

Posted

heaviest rain all day now, absolutely pouring down when i just went to take the bins out. Looks like we're in for a soaking over the next 7 days

Posted

Light rain most of the day today... The heavy rain tomorrow does not look welcome.

I'm heading up to Birmingham tomorrow morning, and it seems I've missed seeing some snow falling by just a day!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

Well as i sit here pondering why im still in the office at this un godly hour. im wondering if it will still be raining when I eventually emerge from this pit.....

Probably eh?

Posted

so the dry interlude is upon us here in SE18. took advantage of no rain and took doggy out in daylight and didnt need rain coat either. the ground around here is totally saturated now and waterlogged areas are just like a quigmire. i feel for those people who are still flooded out and dreading the next lot of rain.

perhaps a question for serious discussion thread.... if we help countries in times of disaster with humanitarian relief. how come countries arent rushing to come dredge our rivers and help our flooded villagers out?

• Like 2

Posted

Essex Weather Centre â€@EssexWeather

Significant weather event for Essex tomorrow night. Heavy rainfall (10-15mm) accompanied with winds gusting up to 55mph.

I think that will hit us here too, I'm not looking forward to it, the last storm scared me, and this time I'm in the house alone.

On the good side it hasn't rained here for a while, at least I haven't heard any rain, but my friend in London says it has rained the whole time there for at least three days

We are watching the army going into Somerset, I wonder if its to do with this storm hitting at high tide and anything they are worried might occur with that?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snow and a good Thunder & Lightening

Just reached a chilly 1 degree down here, although the rain has stopped for now. Am currently watching the live debate in Brighton council chambers via webcast. Big old Hoo ha with the vote of no confidence in the ruling greens, the motion has been carried. My ears are bleeding!

EDIT: now 0.4 degrees c

Edited by Alixzandra

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

So this is what our first taste of Winter is, is it? In Hull the temp is 5 degrees and drizzling.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

It's quite mild here in Ippy at 5degress. And.........it's stopped raining......for now. :)

Have a good evening all.

Posted

I already have ice on the car parked on the drive outside. Will be slippy on the roads tomorrow

Posted

so the dry interlude is upon us here in SE18. took advantage of no rain and took doggy out in daylight and didnt need rain coat either. the ground around here is totally saturated now and waterlogged areas are just like a quigmire. i feel for those people who are still flooded out and dreading the next lot of rain.

perhaps a question for serious discussion thread.... if we help countries in times of disaster with humanitarian relief. how come countries arent rushing to come dredge our rivers and help our flooded villagers out?

well were is D  C when we  need  him!!!