Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2014 Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

I can think of many things that are a nuisance that warm, sunny weather brings. Screaming children, shouting mums, bbq's and drunkeness, loud music that people seem to think everyone else in the street want to hear,  sweaty, tattooed torso's everywhere you look. Wasps, flies, the horrid smell of sunblock, heatstroke, sunburn, etc,etc......

As for the heating bills then maybe people should budget a little better. Shove a jumper on, you'll be fine. :)  I'd pay twice the amount of my fuel bill if we had some nice cold weather and a decent Winter and be happy to do so. :)

Well, then maybe you should move to a better street  :). Not everyone has these problems.

And budget really has nothing to do with it, I can afford heating no matter the cost, but still resent paying four times what I'd spend in Summer. And it's an even more expensive season due to Christmas. Really that's down on the list however.

Basically, I hate waking up in the morning to dark, working all day and then coming home in the dark - leaving zero time to do any sports of have any relaxation in the garden, and even at the weekend it's too cold. I hate getting drenched on most days for four continuous months. I hate the feeling of waking up in the morning and not wanting to get out of bed because it's warm and outside is cold, and often knowing the car's going to be iced up so I'll have to spend five minutes scraping the windows at 8:30 in the morning when I'm barely awake. I hate having to dress like a marshmallow just to keep warm when I go outside. I hate the fact that trees etc in fields and streets just look barren and lifeless. 

Even though I love hot weather (28c+), it doesn't have to be so. I'm happy with 22c or even as low as 17c as long as it's dry. Any temperature that enables a comfortable and flexible lifestyle basically. 

I really don't see why anyone would prefer Winter over Summer, for the reasons I've stated, and many others. I can understand not everyone wants hot weather but why would anyone want it to be cold when they could have a universally comfortable 18-21c. I just don't understand it. 

Winter's the most restrictive, annoying and uncomfortable season of the year. If I had more money I'd move to Los Angeles straight away. A yearly average temperature of around 21c and very dry conditions would be bliss to me.

Edited by matty007
  • Like 2

Posted

Winter is very conditional for me. When it snows I think it can be beautiful, but when it is mild and wet it can go to hell. As you said, you can do a lot of things with summer whereas winter you can't. I also don't understand what some people find so lovely about cold rain and cool temperatures during summer. They complain all winter about it, but then in summer they love it.

Regarding daylight - I don't mind the darker nights in October and early November, but by December and January they are way too long. As you said it's dark when you get up and dark when you get home, and there's little daylight even at weekends. I can also suffer something known as "The Winter Blues" and that is when you feel depressed due to long nights and miserable, mild rainy days, especially in January when the fun of Christmas and New Year have passed. It's not anything drastic, but just very unpleasant.

Overall, there are only two things I like about winter which are Christmas and snow and that's it. Every thing else it's utterly horrible.

Summer on the other hand put's me, you and most of the general population (except you know who) into a very good mood. You have nice long days and warm temperatures, which you can enjoy outdoor activities with. You get the lovely night-time light shows, when the lightning sparks off in the sky. You also have the nice strong sun, in fact you can actually see the sun which you never see during winter because of the miserably cloudy dismal days. All of the plants are full of life, where as in winter everything looks dead... I could honestly go on for hours.

Hear hear. Very well put. 

Like I said, not everyone likes hot weather and I understand that. Some people burn easily and sweat a lot. But why anyone would want cold over a comfortable temperature in the low 20's I'll never know, makes zero sense. And the lack of daylight and rain as well, it's just miserable.

I always get that too. I don't get real depression but I am certainly more unhappy in the Winter and noticeably improve around April. It's just the uncomfortable and restrictive nature of Winter really bothers me. It's a constant annoyance. 

It's lovely waking up in the morning knowing it's nice and sunny outside and will be dry and warm. It really gets your spirits up and you know you can do anything without worrying about rain or feeling cold and uncomfortable. Why anyone would take cold and short days with rain and cloud over that I'll never be able to fathom. 

Edited by matty007
  • Like 1

Posted

God I hate summer. Just reading the above posts with their horribly graphic descriptions of that evil season have sent me on a downward trajectory of depression and woe. Thanks - I'm off to bed.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Summer is boring as well on netweather, winter is miles more exciting, even when prospects of snow look slim

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

It's been a lovely day here. Cool with a little rain. None of that sweaty nonsense! Hopefully it'll be just as nice tomorrow. :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Looks like an improving picture during the weekend with winds shifting round to a SE'ly by Sunday which should help to lift this cloud and allow temperatures to rise should be in the high teens / low 20's by Monday  still cant rule out some showers but they shouldn't be as widespread

:)

• Like 2

Posted

Looks like an improving picture during the weekend with winds shifting round to a SE'ly by Sunday which should help to lift this cloud and allow temperatures to rise should be in the high teens / low 20's by Monday  still cant rule out some showers but they shouldn't be as widespread

Good to hear. 

I will admit that I'm a rookie with charts but the ECMWF clearly shows warm air moving in on Tuesday, Wednesday and especially Thursday. Don't know how reliable that is, although I have heard the ECM is more reliable at a distance. 

Maybe somebody could enlighten me and tell me I'm talking crap lol. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Its been a very good Spring! Close to record warmth for the season as a whole with some lengthy dry spells around like the one we have just come out of. And, looking ahead, its not like its endless low pressure heading for the UK like 2012. The only bad thing its the Azores high looks to be shunted too far southwest but high pressure to the north looks like being close enough to deliver some okayish weather at times.

• Like 1

Posted

Not been a good spring at all. Vile and revolting. March was acceptable from an outdoors point of view but devoid of anything of meteorological interest. April and May truly shocking on both counts.

The only weekend days during these rancid months to bring any sort of decent weather were 12th April, 19th April, 20th April and 3rd May. Out of that lot 19th/20th April - the Easter weekend - was the only weekend to manage above average sunshine and here I am suffering yet another abomination of a weekend. Grey, overcast and cool today with tomorrow looking a washout. To get this week in week out in the months that are supposed to bring the best weather is beyond depressing and a major impediment to having any quality of life.

Not one day in the past week has even managed 6 hours of sun and I've only just managed to scrape 100 hours sunshine for this wretched May. Most of Southern Scotland and Northern Ireland well short of even attaining that. It will be a record dull May there.

Overall it will be the dullest spring here since 1998 and while rainfall has not been high that is down to endless drizzle and low daily totals. Just 6 dry days this month and could well rain every day yet which would equal the most rain days on record for May. We have not had any sort of settled spell during spring. The longest dry spell this year is just 5 days and that was recorded in January - the second wettest on record with 25 rain days. It takes a really lousy spring not to be able to beat that.

I can't even recall Spring 1993 which was far wetter and duller feeling as miserable and depressing as this. It just feels as bad as the summers of 2007, 2011 and 2012 when the worst weather is always at the weekend and you get practically no opportunity to do anything outdoors.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Well if you go by the gfs predictions, cloud and rain and feeling rather cold is predicted...Of course it can be wrong but the rainband on Monday is proven hard to predict, even at this timeframe!

post-6830-0-96262500-1400937156_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Posted

Not been a good spring at all. Vile and revolting......

Anyone would think we were continents apart, not a few hundred miles - you've had what I crave, and vice versa. Wanna do a house swap?

• Like 2

Posted

Yes, pretty bland overall, though some fairly decent spells after the dire winter.  Having said that we've had some remarkable spring weather in recent years - March 2013, the lovely warm sunny spell in May 2012, April 2011 and April 2007.  This year has been remarkable for the lack of any cold weather and the mild nights rather than for any memorable individual spells of weather.

Posted

I seriously hope June doesn't continue the trend that the last few days have. Dismal. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I think for some, hibernation would be an excellent option for the foreseeable future .. The outlook is shocking, and looks like a transition into a 2007 or 2012 type summer with low pressure locked in over UK and very cool air masses dominating. Spring up to this point hasn't been bad here but the amount of rain is becoming rather alarming so I can foresee a repeat of 2012 as we enter the next season.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Its been a mixed spring here ,fairly dry and decent april although may has been disappointing. Overall though not a particulary exciting spring and glad its coming to an end. Lets see what summer brings.

Posted

Spring and winter have had one thing in common here- lack of temperature variation. While winter was almost constantly 6-10C during the day, since April 1 all bar 4 days have had a max between 10 and 19C. Not a single sub 10C max in April or May is unprecedented as is no airfrost after March. Yet this springs highest max of 22.5 on 18 May is below last springs,

Posted

I think for some, hibernation would be an excellent option for the foreseeable future .. The outlook is shocking, and looks like a transition into a 2007 or 2012 type summer with low pressure locked in over UK and very cool air masses dominating. Spring up to this point hasn't been bad here but the amount of rain is becoming rather alarming so I can foresee a repeat of 2012 as we enter the next season.

Oh please no. A fate worse than death. 

Posted

What a bizarre month this May has been, extremely warm (0.1C off the 35 year record here), but very dull and wet.

Figures here to the 29th:

Mean Max: 16.8C (+1.9C)

Mean Min: 8.9C (+1.1C)

Average: 12.9C (+1.5C)

Rainfall: 102.0mm (221%)

Sunshine: 163hrs (81%)

Looking back through my records its a month very much on its own as far as Mays go.

Posted

Early figures suggest third warmest spring on record

Early statistics from the Met Office National Climate Information Centre show that this has been one of the warmest springs in records dating back to 1910.

Based on figures up until 28 May and then assuming average conditions to the end of the month, the mean temperature for the UK for the season is 8.97 °C, third warmest in the records (beaten by 2007 with 9.05 °C and 2011 with 9.15 °C).

Looking at specific countries, it is currently the third warmest spring for England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

However, it has been particularly warm in Scotland compared to average. Depending on temperatures in the final three days of May, this spring could be Scotland’s warmest since records began with a current mean temperature of 7.63 °C, just above the record set in 2011 of 7.61 °C.

http://metofficenews.wordpress.com/2014/05/30/early-figures-suggest-third-warmest-spring-on-record/ 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

shocked tbh, thought it felt very average here.