Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 14/1/14 21z ------>

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

still waiting here, mid Jan now, can be when winter starts, although not normally until last week Jan, still hopeful for Feb, March and april, as I cannot see winter arriving late Jan, GFS seems to be set mild

Edited by IrememberAtlantic252

Posted

Have we had a cold front go through, it's getting colder here? Temperature dropped from 4.5C at 8 this morning down to 2.6 at 10.30. There even appears to be a slight frost on the grass now. Very odd.

Posted

Have we had a cold front go through, it's getting colder here? Temperature dropped from 4.5C at 8 this morning down to 2.6 at 10.30. There even appears to be a slight frost on the grass now. Very odd.

Very strange. It's currently 6.9c here, so no obvious dip in the temperature so far.

The radar actually looks reasonably clear of showers for our region, so perhaps a decent afternoon coming up..........famous last words!

Bish

Posted

Jee you'd think we were in Svalbard today how dark it is, had to keep the lights on all day it's so grim.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Posted Image

I love these type of set ups/scenarios, in the past we've had some great snowfall events

But when you look at this chart,^^^ Which will win.....There's only one way to find out: FIGHT!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 2

Posted

Posted Image

I love these type of set ups/scenarios, in the past we've had some great snowfall events

But when you look at this chart,^^^ Which will win.....There's only one way to find out: FIGHT!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

good fight, but miles in FI? will look nothing like that on 01 Feb, my guess for early Feb is azores high in charge, settled and dry, 10C temps, relief from rain

chart looks very much like 04 Feb '12, great snow day here, although western members not good

Edited by IrememberAtlantic252

Posted

good fight, but miles in FI? will look nothing like that on 01 Feb, my guess for early Feb is azores high in charge, settled and dry, 10C temps, relief from rain

chart looks very much like 04 Feb '12, great snow day here, although western members not good

I was trying to put across that i love these type of set ups or scenarios,I.e. an example, inwhich we tend to have good snow fall from, regarding this as a forecast, yes it is deep in FI and i never intended to put across that this was a forecast that was actually going to happen. Anyway i think your going to have egg on your face come Feb Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

I was trying to put across that i love these type of set ups or scenarios,I.e. an example, inwhich we tend to have good snow fall from, regarding this as a forecast, yes it is deep in FI and i never intended to put across that this was a forecast that was actually going to happen. Anyway i think your going to have egg on your face come Feb Posted Image

hopefully so. biggest snow fan on here, first week of feb, mild azores high in charge, then can develop into a northerly, our winter to start around 9th Feb,

Posted

hopefully so. biggest snow fan on here, first week of feb, mild azores high in charge, then can develop into a northerly, our winter to start around 9th Feb,

mark.  any chance you can give me  tonight's winning lottery numbers please..

Edited by lancs_northants
  • Like 3

Posted

I make it 10th Feb by my calculations Posted Image

Bish

Edited by Bishop Brennan
  • Like 2

Posted

What was the uppers when we had that wet snow a few days ago anybody know ?

850hPa temps were around -2/-3 across the region at the time I think.

Very dark day today, didn't brighten up once, thankfully much sunnier tomorrow with a frost hopefully tomorrow night and Monday night to.

Posted

Bish

Good evening, bish. lets hope this forum gets a little more busier on the 9th or 10th of feb.

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Bish

Thats two eggs on the go now Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

850hPa temps were around -2/-3 across the region at the time I think. Very dark day today, didn't brighten up once, thankfully much sunnier tomorrow with a frost hopefully tomorrow night and Monday night to.

Cheers bud I don't know why people in the mod thread are complaining at -4/-5 when that's fine for snow, they expect -10 and 6 foot of snow.

Posted

Car covered in ice this morning, and all the windows had condensation, even those double-glazed, presumably because the temp fell so rapidly in the last couple of hours. Actually have frost on the grass and the temperature is just below freezing at -0.3C. That's frost number 7 for January — not too shabby.

Cheers bud I don't know why people in the mod thread are complaining at -4/-5 when that's fine for snow, they expect -10 and 6 foot of snow.

I guess they are looking for snow that is a dead cert, not borderline?
  • Like 2

Posted

Car covered in ice this morning, and all the windows had condensation, even those double-glazed, presumably because the temp fell so rapidly in the last couple of hours. Actually have frost on the grass and the temperature is just below freezing at -0.3C. That's frost number 7 for January — not too shabby.I guess they are looking for snow that is a dead cert, not borderline?

But as you guys say on here borderline situations bring the best falls or have brought the best falls ?
  • Like 1

Posted

Gorgeous sunny day for once, not a cloud in sight Posted Image! already close to 8c though and with the chart's as bland as ever this winter is now nearing the point of no return currently standing by a clear mile as the worst in my two decades living memory even beating the iconically poor 2007/2008 by a long shot which had already had 10 days of sub 5c maxima by this point, compared with zero this winter mostly from that faux cold high from 13-21st December.

Edited by conor123

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny

Gorgeous sunny day for once, not a cloud in sight Posted Image! already close to 8c though and with the chart's as bland as ever this winter is now nearing the point of no return currently standing by a clear mile as the worst in my two decades living memory even beating the iconically poor 2007/2008 by a long shot which had already had 10 days of sub 5c maxima by this point, compared with zero this winter mostly from that faux cold high from 13-21st December.

Bet you won't get many sunny days in summer when they are worthwhile.

Posted

Bet you won't get many sunny days in summer when they are worthwhile.

Noope always the way :lol: this same setup in June would bring a full sheet of Stratocumulus from 8am-6pm.

Posted

But as you guys say on here borderline situations bring the best falls or have brought the best falls ?

Beeb hinted at a possibility of a colder raw feeling day next Fri, even chance of rain turning to snow for some overnight Fri. Another system making inroads from the west.

3-5C daytime hardly anything to worry about - after Friday, straw clutching returns..

Wadley, i tend to agree with you, i look forward to this kind of set up, but yes borderline situations with this, 50 miles either way can make a big difference regarding snowfall, in the past we've had rain coming in from the west and as turned to snow over our region, few hours at best, then turned back to rain, couple of inches at most, normaly happens during the evening and we all wake up and its all gone.. boo hoo!

But when it comes too the best falls! Well almost the same as above, but instead of the snow going through our region (the block HP) to our East, pushies against the in coming front and stalls and we get a right dumping before it dies out, Then it's sledges at the ready..... HAPPY DAYS.Posted Image

triplex1 'LETS HOPE' that we get this type of set up come Friday ...lol... 'Yes i know', straw clutching timePosted Image At this stage SLEET! at best, buuuuuuuut! You never know.

In a sense it wouldn't take much for this cold air too edge further West over the UK, I look forward to the upgrades, Interesting times ahead methinks!

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted

Can't see anything wintry happening unfortunately, GFS even more progressive on 12z runs and upper's very mild anyway, would need majorly shifts west, could happen but...after this winter where everything always ends up 300 miles+ further east come D Day being realistic it would take a miracle.