Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Favourite things about the seasons?

DELETED

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France

My favourite time is around the summer solstice on the rare occasions we get an HP at this time of year with great crystal blue skies, warm temperatures with the long light evenings with a wonderful afterglow continuing for about an hour or so after sunset :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

May-July is the best period of the year. Plenty of light and freedom to get out and about which is most welcomed after the limitations of winter. Everything is growing too although if you live near the North Sea this can often be a chilly grey period if you're unlucky so it isn't always so good!

Least favourite is the drag that is January. It can be an interesting month if its properly cold but otherwise the annoying darkness (which was novel before xmas) is akin to shaking off an annoying head cold - it is going but wish it'd get a move on!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Winter is my favourite season when it snows, but probably my least favourite when it isn't snowing and/or cold and frosty (with sunshine to boot).

Spring is probably my favourite time of the year. Those sunny 15C days in late April are the best for long walks and hiking.

Edited by cheese

Posted

That first warm sunny day of spring when the shorts come out for the first time... Usually in April, but 2012 was late March and 2013, 7th May. 17C in April sunshine feels so much warmer than 17C under August cloud or June rain.

I hate, almost every year, mid Oct through mid Nov. Too late for heat, too early for cold and snow, very rarely any long anticyclonic spells- last year's 37 consecutive rain days in that period was a new low.

Edited by Summer of 95

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Winter. Because it's cool/cold. None of the awful stuffiness of summer and lovely dark cosy nights with a nice chill in the air.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

Actually one of my favourite times of year is now - obviously not because of cold weather but because it's now getting lighter each day - I know we are creeping further and further towards Spring and Summer

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

It has to be summer,surely everybody looks forward to summer ,especially where I am from and its always cold.I guess the summer would not be summer at all if we did not have a winter.If we had only one season we would all be bored with it!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Summer!! Parties, BBQs, beach, cycling, holidays, warm evenings, cricket.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Maybe early summer and mid autumn..if the weather is dry and sunny..winters are becoming a chore here..and spring is always cold and wet.

Edited by cheeky_monkey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

Summer!! Parties, BBQs, beach, cycling, holidays, warm evenings, cricket.

Don't forget scantily clad girls! Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

It has to be summer,surely everybody looks forward to summer

??????????????? Sure about that? I hate summer, really hate it. Horrible, dreadful,depressing,utterly cack time of year. 22 weeks before we're over the hump of still being light at 10pm - doesn't sound long if you say it quickly enough but I'm under no illusions about the misery of the climb to come. God that is so bad,just hideously awful.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

??????????????? Sure about that? I hate summer, really hate it. Horrible, dreadful,depressing,utterly cack time of year. 22 weeks before we're over the hump of still being light at 10pm - doesn't sound long if you say it quickly enough but I'm under no illusions about the misery of the climb to come. God that is so bad,just hideously awful.

Obviousley I wasn't talking about you laserguy and I guess there are a few others that will think slightly your way but I  was talking in general besides you would not like winter so much if we did not have summer!

Posted

Unless folk have some kind of physical or mental health issues with one season or another I cannot understand vigorous dislike of one season or another.

I can understand a strong dislike of one type of weather or another but each to our own.

Personally I find all 4 seasons, even when it happens in one day, each have their own plus and minus side to them.

Winter=snow and frost although not for too long, at my age I have expereinced all the serious winters starting with memories of 1947.

Spring for the new life in the garden and that lovely fresh smell on a warm spring day.

Summer=very warm but not over hot days with dewpoints high enough to be able to enjoy an evening in the garden but not too high to make the day unpleasant. Nothing to beat a big storm either, lightning has always fascinated me.

autumn=the changing colours of the leaves, a frosty clear morning, and just the odd day with lots of wind.

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

For me its April till September (though March can be nice some years as well) the days are getting longer the sun is getting stronger and the BBQ can come back out, oh and the heating can go off

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

I would take the winter climate near the Arctic circle all year around, no spiders, no moths, no flies, no hot sweats, chest pains, shortness of breath, no dizziness, the only thing good about summer is when you are parched - a pint goes down beautifully, this will be my only post on this thread though as I cannot change those things so its pointless, all you can do is hope for weather to be favourable to your tastes in the seasons, the seasons are there and that's that!!!

• Like 1

Posted

I would take the winter climate near the Arctic circle all year around, no spiders, no moths, no flies, no hot sweats, chest pains, shortness of breath, no dizziness, the only thing good about summer is when you are parched - a pint goes down beautifully, this will be my only post on this thread though as I cannot change those things so its pointless, all you can do is hope for weather to be favourable to your tastes in the seasons, the seasons are there and that's that!!!

you fogot mosquities in the summer!

• Like 2

Haha fair enough you seem to have listed enough pains for it to be a valid point! i also love the winter for this reason! just miss the barbecues!

Posted

I think I have two favourites. Around June/July when you get a warm sunny evening and its about half ten and twilight, still warm and you can hear the wind blowing through the leaves in the trees. The other is on a cold clear evening in winter when the sun has just gone down and the sky is pale blue fading to pink and yellow where the sun is setting. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

All four seasons have their plus points but I would have to give the nod to the period May-July due to the long daylight hours and maximum potential for homegrown convection.  August can also be good but the dark nights draw in during the second half of the month and in some cases frontal depressions become more frequent.