Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Extreme temperatures to hit Melbourne as the Australian Open starts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Earlier this week, Serena Williams complained about the unseasonably cool weather in Melbourne. “Cold weather puts me in the worst of moods,†she tweeted. “And right now it’s freezing in Melbourne.†She may have jinxed the tournament. A heat wave is set to hit Melbourne on Monday, just in time for the start of the Australian Open, with some forecasts predicting a high of 107 degrees during the first week of the Australian Open. It’s a shocking temperature swing, especially considering the cool 70 degree temperature players enjoyed on Sunday, just 24 hours before the start of the tournament. Three-time defending champion Novak Djokovic knows what these extreme temperatures can do to your body. He was forced to retire to Andy Roddick in the 2009 Australian Open quarterfinals when temperatures on Rod Laver Arena exceeded 104 degrees. Fast forward five years and the Serb is now tennis’ Iron Man, and he didn’t sound too concerned about the forecast.

“Last couple years, everything has been very all right with my health, with my physical state,†he told reporters in his pre-tournament press conference. “I’ve been working, of course, a lot with my team, making sure I’m fit and ready to play best‑of‑five in extreme conditions.â€Serena Williams bracing herself for Melbourne heat Andy Murray, who trains in the heat and humidity of Florida, said nothing can prepare you for Melbourne when the heat seats in. “The court just gets so hot,†he told reporters. “The air is extremely, extremely hot as well. I mean, in Miami, there tends to be a breeze. Here when it’s 40 degrees, it can be calm. The air feels warm in your face. Your legs and your feet burn. No, I mean, the stuff that I do there helps, but you can’t prepare for that heat. It’s very tough.â€

Tournament organizers are already preparing for the impact from the heat, proactively handing out copies of the tournament’s extreme heat policy to journalists. The policy allows play to be stopped for heat at the Tournament Referee’s discretion. For the two courts that have retractable roofs, Rod Laver Arena and Hisense Arena, play will continue until the completion of a set, at which point the Referee can decide to close the roof for the remainder of the match. That decision will only come if the Referee decides to suspend play on the outdoor courts. In addition, a 10-minute heat break will be allowed between the second and third sets of a women’s singles match if the Wet Bulb Globe Thermometer, which measures a variety of factors such as temperature, humidity, and wind, reads 30.1 before the start of the match.

http://tennis.si.com/2014/01/12/extreme-temperatures-austalian-open-djokovic-serena-williams/

Melbourne is set to see temperatures soar over the next 5 days

Monday 34c

Tuesday 43c

Wednesday 40c

Thursday 44c

Friday 41c

The average high for January in Melbourne is 25c

By Saturday current indications are temperatures will drop to around 26c and 24c next Sunday as winds shift from the north to a more southerly direction

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

Australian Open 2014: Player & ball boy collapse in 42C heat

Searing heat disrupted play on day two of the Australian Open in Melbourne with a player and ball boy needing treatment as temperatures topped 42C. Canada's Frank Dancevic required medical attention after fainting during his match against Benoit Paire. An 'extreme heat' contingency plan was put in force for women's matches by the tournament directors.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/25724815

Posted

turning cooler Saturday with patchy rain, down to 23C

Yep temperatures are expected to drop over 20c in around 12 hours as winds turn more south westerly rather than the current north to north westerly winds

44c on Friday

21c on Saturday by 05:00