Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 10th Jan Onwards

Paul

Posted

Would love to know why Piers Corbyn at Weather Action is saying his Feb 45 day forecast is the most important event since 2010 but I can't bring myself to spend £25 to find out…without being unfair to Mr Corbyn and revealing his forecast or offering anything too specific, does anyone have any idea what he's on about, i.e. is he predicting a particularly snowy month which is, I suppose, my inference due to the 2010 comparison? Piers_Corbyn tweet BI FEB 45d IS LOADED "WA's most important fcst since Dec 2010"

For informational purposes (as I've seen a couple of comments about this) the Feb 45 day that I've read suggests a very mild February - think the mentioning of December 2010 is just a sales ploy and bares no relation to the forecast for Feb '14But if you would like some more comforting news his forecast this winter so far has been (as ever) very hit and miss, with two previously forecast snow events across England and Wales having failed to materialise, so I wouldn't hang too much upon his words.SK
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny

As we are on the topic of BBC forecasts is there usually this much uncertainty past 5 days in the possible minimum/maximum temperatures? For my location there there is a difference of 10 degrees between possible minimum and maximum temps for Friday and the same for the following week. Surely the BBC forecast isn't usually so non-committal and must reflect the current uncertainty that exists despite some advocating a certain continuation of Atlantic dominance. If it is always like that at day 6 I apologise for this post.

It is.

I only really replied to this as I think it is weird why you become a teapot.

Edited by CongletonHeat
  • Like 1

Posted

As we are on the topic of BBC forecasts is there usually this much uncertainty past 5 days in the possible minimum/maximum temperatures? For my location there there is a difference of 10 degrees between possible minimum and maximum temps for Friday and the same for the following week. Surely the BBC forecast isn't usually so non-committal and must reflect the current uncertainty that exists despite some advocating a certain continuation of Atlantic dominance. If it is always like that at day 6 I apologise for this post.

We show ensemble spread on web temperatures now into that range.
  • Like 1

Posted

Reference Tamara's post above, it'll doubtless help discussion if I copy here how the Dep Chief modified the UKMO-GM last frames from the 00z run. Clearly, longevity of the ridging to E is critical here (12z suites thus awaited with interest):Posted ImageScreenshot_2014-01-19-14-14-06-1.png

Given the ECM and its ensembles I'm surprised there wasn't more modification, that still looks very close to the UKMO raw output, if MOGREPS is more towards the UKMO version it does seem strange because the differences between it and the ECM would have to start from quite early in the outputs.

• Like 3

Posted

Given the ECM and its ensembles I'm surprised there wasn't more modification, that still looks very close to the UKMO raw output, if MOGREPS is more towards the UKMO version it does seem strange because the differences between it and the ECM would have to start from quite early in the outputs.

The modification is an advance of the frontal ppn 120NM compared to the raw solution (i.e. a nod towards the EC/NCEP ensemble means, in spatiotemporal sense).
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

This is how the beeb see things at the moment for the end of the week curtsey of Alex Deakin 15 minutes ago

Thursday

Posted Image

But its by Friday things could come interesting with high pressure over Scandinavia it could bring some cold air from the east or north east if it does it could be a very chilly day even a raw day across parts of England and wales, but weather fronts are trying to bump in from the west and they may eventually win out with the cold air in place for England and wales when the wet weather arrives there is just the possibility and thats all it is at this stage of some snow on Friday night

Posted ImagePosted Image

It is.

I only really replied to this as I think it is weird why you become a teapot.

The words of winterfell

Come on chaps, at least try and mention the model outputs in your posts! Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Latest NAO update shows it around neutral to start with before going positive for the remainder of the month

Posted Image

Latest AO update starts negative but it heads positive difficult to estimate when but probably somewhere around the 23rd onwards

Posted Image

Posted

First out of the blocks is the gme and at T72, it looks ok re the ukmo 00z solution. Interesting hour coming up!

A step in the right direction compared to its 00z run (or is that the left directionPosted Image)

00z..  12z..

Colder uppers getting into the far east on wednesday.

edited cos i don't know what day it is!

Edited by Cloud 10
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Latest UKMO RAW falling into line with 0z FAX and EC output now with limited scope re colder air fluctuating east coast;

post-12721-0-28050100-1390148429_thumb.j

post-12721-0-65611900-1390148800_thumb.j

Edited by AWD

Posted

UKMO keeping the lowest 850's away this afternoon compared to the 00z run where they clipped the east it looks like the low will win out as we move into the weekend so we could still have some leading edge snowfall

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

I think its worth noting that once again the jet or vortex does not favour much.

I give up totally I don't see winter at all in any of them charts its a none runner even with the split vortex being around the Canadian area and the jet stream its a no go theres nothing positive to be honest I think this year has been awful and for this reason I bid you all good night I cant take no more all the more experienced posters have made it perfectly clear that there really is not much hope.

Edited by phil nw.
removed ot comment
  • Like 5

Posted

Rather grim charts from the GFS and UKMO 12z, UKMO backed off that cold push from the east as thought.

GFS looks a wee bit zonal at +240

Posted Image

PV to our NW + strong Azores high = bad for cold.

Yep Bobby! In line with the ens, for the last umpteen days now! It was always the likely route... and the window we were chasing, seems to be closing fast. Variations to come this week, but cold.... can't see it!

• Like 2

Posted

Oh my my... UKMO has backed away from the little carrot it dangled this morning, Azores high ridging in at 120 and 144, we might get a a couple of chilly days Wednesday and Thursday. I notice that there is not one single comment on 12z GFS silence speaks volumes I guess... But I'm feeling brave and about to dive in and take a peep wish me luck..

My god I think I deserve a medal for valor after quickly skipping through the 12z GFS.. Azores high is the main player from around 144 to the end of the run..

Edited by TSNWK
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Rather grim charts from the GFS and UKMO 12z, UKMO backed off that cold push from the east as thought.

GFS looks a wee bit zonal at +240

Posted Image

PV to our NW + strong Azores high = bad for cold.

Even I, as a total newbie and nowhere near knowledgeable enough as yet to post my views on the models, know that most if not all of the most experienced posters here say that the GFS is too progressive in bringing zonality in around +240 hours.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The GFS 12z is horrible end to end. 

No prolonged cold, no HLB, no Arctic high, etc

By T192 the PV has moved to Greenland: post-14819-0-05916100-1390149814_thumb.p

It then takes a week to move east just north of the UK, by T300: post-14819-0-95975800-1390149873_thumb.p

It then hits the Siberian high and by the end of the run its back where it started: post-14819-0-26439900-1390149941_thumb.p

Not conducive of a cold spell but certainly transient wintry stuff for hills and up north. 

Posted

GFS 8 day temperature anomlay once again shows a west east split for England and Wales

Average to Slightly below average in the east with the exception of the east Anglia and SE coast line, in the west its average to slightly above average

For Scotland and northern Ireland temperatures range from slightly below average to slightly above average

Posted Image

Normal temps left, expected temps right

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Snow for some on Friday though, yes it does look highly likely that it will be a transitional event, however. Where we go from there, even those "in the know" with their additional supercomputer power don't know. Next weekend could go either way, as SM stated earlier, we all need to focus on that five to six day timeframe. My expectations from this Winter have been greatly reduced given the vortex's power alongside other factors, however there often is widespread snowfall even during the mildest of Winters. Stratospheric signals also look very encouraging and with that in mind, it is possible we could witness another 2013 style Winter into Spring period, we just don't know at this juncture. Posted Image

Edited by phil nw.
removed quoted ot post now deleted
  • Like 7