Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Rainfall Statistics, 2014

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Driest September on record hereabouts, total 9.4mm (8% LTA)

2014 to date 1041.3mm

Long Lawford, Rugby:

Sept 7.1mm (14%)

2014 to date 556.3mm

Edited by TonyH

September finished with 10mm - 7% of average, the driest month I've recorded. If the rest of the year is average we will end with 2,101mm, just above the 2,090mm of 2012.

The gap is closing..

2014 to date: 1,446mm.

Edited by Bobby

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Light rain yesterday evening brought September's total to 8.4 mm, 0.2 mm more than in 1986 and the driest calendar month since then.

It's only the second month in the last 50 years to record less than 10mm of rain.

• Like 1

Posted

Light rain yesterday evening brought September's total to 8.4 mm, 0.2 mm more than in 1986 and the driest calendar month since then.

It's only the second month in the last 50 years to record less than 10mm of rain.

I can only find 7 other months sub 10mm in the archive for this immediate local area TM, so September 2014 joins an exclusive club, the other members being:

Jan 1997  9.8mm

Feb 1965 8mm

Feb 1986  0mm

April 1938  0.5mm

April 1984  8mm

June 1921  7mm

Aug 1976  8mm 

EDIT found a few more mostly Febs!

Feb 1921 9mm

Feb 1932 3mm

Feb 1930 9.3mm

June 1925 2.3mm

Thats 12 in all so not quite so exclusive after all!

Edited by TonyH

Posted

my, this is a rare event, me with less rainfall in a month than TM!

13.8mm with 7.8 of that falling on the 6th, much of it after 1700 BST.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

8.1mm here for September, It's raining as i type  :rofl:

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Driest since 1986 with 14.4mm of rain. Beating TM here as well.

Posted

Mmm are the Met Office correct in saying Jan - Sept 2014 period the wettest on record? - I know it was a very wet start to the year, but rainfall since March has been near average..

North west news showed reports of low water levels at Haweswater Reservoir - with pictures of the remains of Mardale Villahe - I'm quite alarmed at this.. given the general wetness of the summer and rainfall before it, a dry September surely can't be enough in itself to produce such results - mmm I think United Utilities has probably been extracting more water than they should have been...

Posted

17.8mm in total here, making it the driest since 1997.

We're up to 508.0mm for the year so far, making it wetter than 2011 and 2013 already.

Posted

September was the driest month of the year here despite only having 85% of average sunshine while two of the four months to reach average sunshine (February and August) had over twice the average rainfall. What a grim year it's been.

Total to end September: 603.8mm (123% of average). Last year had only 395.8mm up to the end of September. 

September total was 26.6mm will almost certainly be the lowest monthly total. It's already been beaten in October and unlikely that November or December will be drier. Since my records began in 2005 only 2009, my current wettest year, hasn't managed a drier month. April was the driest month that year with 28.8mm.

Edited by Richard2901

Posted

Sorry to buck the trend for September slightly (though still dry) but with 22.5 mm at this location it was only the driest month since April!

I note that few posters are down south where it has been a little less dry, relatively and absolutely. Unusual for us to be wetter than uk average which I read was about 19.4 mm.

September was dry here, but not exceptionally so. The oddity was the complete absence of showers. We had 5 rainfall events of which only one could be argued, at a push, to be showery.

Posted

It didn't take much, already this October is wetter than September.

Shows you how difficult it is to achieve driest months on record titles. It only takes one day to ruin it whilst wettest on record months, you have the luxury of accumulating rainfall totals throughout the month.

The last driest month on record title achieved was August 1995 for the 1766 rainfall series.

We have broken one January, two April and one June wettest records since then.

Edited by Weather-history

Posted

The turnaround over the last week in the rainfall stakes is very very reminiscent of September 1995 - a very wet cyclonic month on the back of one of the driest months on record in August 1995.

September 1995 delivered a lot of rain to NE parts from memory..

Just an observation, but as I've said before all too often marked very dry periods often come to an abrupt end with a total reversal of fortunes. The last recent example being the change in April 2012 on the back of the very dry warm March. Not saying we are in for a very wet October overall, but no denying how quickly we have seen a major opposite set of synoptics in the space of 7 days.

• Like 1

Posted

31.9mm yesterday, a new wettest day of this month just pipping the 8th (31.6mm).

Total so far this month already up to average at 142.8mm.

2014 so far: 1184.1mm, already wetter than the driest year I have recorded here (1117mm 2010)

Edited by TonyH

Posted

I haven't recorded my rainfall, but I did notice that the pond has virtually refilled in the past 10 days or so. It was probably close to 4 inches low, so that means we have had close to 4 inches of rain in October, mostly falling overnight.

Edited by picog

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

116.3 mm here in October, 105% of the 1981-2020 average.

The 2014 total up to the end of October is 965.4 mm so about another 95 mm required to reach the 30 year annual average

Posted

News from the Australian capital cities

January-October totals...% total of average for this period

Darwin............1271mm.....95%

Sydney.............763mm.....72%

Perth................651mm.....93%

Brisbane..........524mm.....69%

Adelaide..........499mm.....102%

Canberra.........442mm.....89%

Melbourne.......439mm.....83%

Hobart.............371mm.....73%

• 2 weeks later...