Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Severe Atlantic Storms over the Christmas & New Year period

stubbys

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Adventurer is a big ship and i bet she handled it well. Try travelling on one of Condors fast ferries in a bit of a swell....Awful!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...
  • Weather Preferences: jack frost
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...

Posted ImageThe west of Ireland !Posted Image

Edited by be cause
  • Like 5

Posted

Hi, I'm new here. Just a quick update on weather here in St Ives Cornwall.. Was Calm an hour ago wind really picking up again..nothing like the thunder lightning hale and gales this morning..although i suspect it's coming in again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

Look at this article

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/uk-storm-britain-floods-weather-rain-waves-plymouth-cornwall-devon-130536630.html#d6e8MhS

People putting their own kids at risk

Totally Unbelievable !!

Storm Waves Crashing over Sea Walls, not really something i would consider to be a playground

Been having a break from the showers for a while. Awaiting the next lot of rain, later in the night

• Like 1

Posted

I dont get it the  amount of people who have died these last few weeks to do with the sea etc and people still go close to it just another accident waiting to happen.

Edited by tonymontana

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

with the sea defences gone, I could see Aberystwyth losing that row of terraced houses this weekend.

Posted

It's because it's exciting seeing monster waves.

That family in Porthleven were very lucky though..Please respect the sea. We don't need more loss of life.

Heavy wind and rain coming now...Will try keep updates..these are short bursts of really bad weather.

Carefull people..

Posted

It's because it's exciting seeing monster waves.

That family in Porthleven were very lucky though..Please respect the sea. We don't need more loss of life.

Heavy wind and rain coming now...Will try keep updates..these are short bursts of really bad weather.

Carefull people..

if only we knew where you were it would be interesting to read your updates?

welcome to Net Wx and I hope you enjoy all there is on the site.

May I ask that you pop your nearest town in your avatar please?

many thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder / lightning, Freezing rain, snow, ice and blizzards!

Just got back from Peterborough, pretty windy (34mph gusts or so) but total clear of cloud it would seem at this point.

Back near ST Neots now and the same here, windy but clear - lots of trucks / lorries struggling with the cross winds on the A1.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

At Llandudno wind constant sea down on morning tide .10 mins to night high tide. all lot calmer now.

Welcome to the forum! lots more action to come this weekend lots more concern lots more boats sold?.............well thinking about getting one..

To anyone-Quick question wanted to ask earlier don't mind feeling stupid asking this but how safe is the reservoirs from over topping their banks?? am I right in thinking it is not going to get high enough as is drained off somewhere as the rains fill them up? could here the water hitting the sides on Friday only heard this once in Dec when sounded like a small boat bashing the banks during the storm! sounds like the water is high up there! 

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Found this..

Posted Image

The North Atlantic is blowing a hoolie again. Surfers will be hard pressed to remember a winter which has delivered storm force ferocity with such consistency. And as the mercury plunging pattern continues, the forecast is set to hit new highs on Monday, delivering a swell which is somewhat of a step into the unknown.

“During the past few weeks the bigger swells have traversed inclement routes, normally accompanied with unfavourable wind, giving only a few short windows for the chargers.†Says MSW Forecaster, Francisco. “However this storm which will hit Europe next Monday/Tuesday will exhibit different behaviour, moving from the East Coast of the USA on a north east route. We are forecasting an intensification during Saturday with the wind peaking during the afternoon. Our data currently shows that we will see an area approximately with the size of France with winds exceeding 50 kts and expect maximum wind speeds of 70 kts.â€

http://magicseaweed.com/news/atlantic-code-red-incoming/5954/

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

I dont get it the  amount of people who have died these last few weeks to do with the sea etc and people still go close to it just another accident waiting to happen.

I ended up feeling the nasty end of mother nature when i was 14. Decided it would be a good idea to dodge huge waves on my bike down by CLARENCE PIER in Portsmouth. Huge wave hit me knocked me off my bike ended up in hospital with a huge gash ripped in my groin. If it had been a bit deeper Would have ripped open a main artery and i would not be here. Since then i have nothing but respect for mother Nature

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and no more than 25degC

To anyone-Quick question wanted to ask earlier don't mind feeling stupid asking this but how safe is the reservoirs from over topping their banks?? am I right in thinking it is not going to get high enough as is drained off somewhere as the rains fill them up? could here the water hitting the sides on Friday only heard this once in Dec when sounded like a small boat bashing the banks during the storm! sounds like the water is high up there! 

It's a very good question and one that has concerned me over the years and specifically this Xmas as my local reservoir was 100% full on 26th Dec

http://www.southernwater.co.uk/at-home/your-water/water-resources/reservoir-levels/

Obviously many of the larger reservoirs are managed/owned by the water companies but there are also private reservoirs too.

From what I understand about how my local one works, and obviously this is just from a layman's perspective, Reservoirs usually have some type of controlled discharge scheme into the surrounding water courses for when they get full. Any plans to discharge need to be done in consultation with the EA in order to ensure minimal impact on any existing or potential flooding from the already-challenged local rivers...or in order for appropriate flood warnings to be sent out to residents downstream. We do not get any public notification from our water company about any plans to discharge so I assume it is the EA who manage that via the flood warning system if appropriate

Reservoirs,specifically raised reservoirs where there is the potential to hold water above the level of all adjoining land, are governed by the Reservoir Act 1975 much of which is concentrating on "uncontrolled" release including via over-topping either through rising levels or "waves"......and this Act is now enforced by the EA

The link below is a pdf I found referring to a consultation regarding recent amendments to be made to the Act and is quite informative.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/82455/120221reservoir-safety-condoc.pdf 

And this weather is clearly challenging reservoirs - Just after Xmas my local EA officer asked if they could return my call later as "a private reservoir was failing and that had to take priority"

Hope this helps - I will ask the water company about this when I meet with them to discuss the recent fiasco regarding my failed sewage pumping station.

xxx

Edited by PiggiePalace
  • Like 4

Posted

if only we knew where you were it would be interesting to read your updates?

welcome to Net Wx and I hope you enjoy all there is on the site.

May I ask that you pop your nearest town in your avatar please?

many thanks

Thanks John (Amended). All quiet and sunny here on the western front. Anyone have an idea when the next front will arrive in SW?

Posted

Thanks John (Amended). All quiet and sunny here on the western front. Anyone have an idea when the next front will arrive in SW?

thanks DP-I would think tomorrow morning for more wind and rain into the SW, quite early for the far SW?

More wet weather over the next 72 hours, NMM showing another 2 inches/50mm or so over high ground in the SW, more locally.

Posted Image

The next band of rain moving into the West around noon tomorrow, with heavy showers and more organised rain at times following.

Edited by Bobby

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

EURO4 ppn @+21..

Posted Image

EURO4 ppn @+48 (accumulated)

Posted Image

Where is the data???

Posted

Found this..

Posted Image

The North Atlantic is blowing a hoolie again. Surfers will be hard pressed to remember a winter which has delivered storm force ferocity with such consistency. And as the mercury plunging pattern continues, the forecast is set to hit new highs on Monday, delivering a swell which is somewhat of a step into the unknown.

“During the past few weeks the bigger swells have traversed inclement routes, normally accompanied with unfavourable wind, giving only a few short windows for the chargers.†Says MSW Forecaster, Francisco. “However this storm which will hit Europe next Monday/Tuesday will exhibit different behaviour, moving from the East Coast of the USA on a north east route. We are forecasting an intensification during Saturday with the wind peaking during the afternoon. Our data currently shows that we will see an area approximately with the size of France with winds exceeding 50 kts and expect maximum wind speeds of 70 kts.â€

http://magicseaweed.com/news/atlantic-code-red-incoming/5954/

I cant seem to find any talk of this incoming monster apart from the link you provided. Surely it merits more attention?

• Like 1

Posted

NAE 12z @ +48 (ppn accumulated)

post-11361-0-58178800-1388848194_thumb.j

Looking at NAE some large totals tomorrow up to 38mm Central and southern half of Scotland,  20-25mm perhaps more over parts of Southern England.

Watching a small feature that could skim the south tonight, see the little dip in the isobars where I have indicated, and also the next developing storm system for Sunday/Monday (NAE chart)

post-11361-0-46448200-1388850034_thumb.j

To add the Jet stream for Sunday, NAE:

Posted Image

I should add the combined chart, it does look very potent and large scale, but is this the last of the storms?

Posted Image

Jet+SLP Sunday GFS