Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 22nd December 2013 - 2014 onwards

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Blinding flash and a huge rumble of thunder. Hard to believe its the middle of winter..

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Hopefully if it heads this way Sheffield shield will do it's job and leave new years eve nice and dry.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Quite a lot of lightning out there now! Moving in from the south west, off the Atlantic. Looks like a radar grab from summer!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Can't wait until we get diurnal heating of the land returning. You coasties have been spoilt this winter!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Can't wait until we get diurnal heating of the land returning. You coasties have been spoilt this winter!!

It's quite common for coastal areas to get thunderstorms during the winter months, especially the early part of winter and it could very well happen again this evening. Maybe I should start taking holidays to the coast in December!

The south coast have done very well though since October, better than in the summer!

Edited by Supacell
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Rain has turned increasingly convective and heavy here, torrential right now and think I heard a rumble of thunder. Strikes being detected in W Wales and in a few other places across the SW recently.

Yea just drove down the M5 from Gloucester to Thornbury and the weather is absolutely atrocious. Gone quite dark here and rain is relentless. Surface water flooding on parts of the motorway are causing issues so take care everyone if you are driving this afternoon! Edited by Chris K
  • Like 1

It's quite common for coastal areas to get thunderstorms during the winter months, especially the early part of winter and it could very well happen again this evening. Maybe I should start taking holidays to the coast in December!

The south coast have done very well though since October, better than in the summer!

We had better storms here last January than the past 5+ summers, storm after storm with thunder and lightning for many hours. Seen more storms this winter than the summer, some impressive fork lightning the other day and several other days of thunder.

Edited by Bobby
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Still nothing here as yet .. But I have a good feeling that something may happen later Lol. Happy New year everyone and let's hope 2014 brings us storms galore.Posted ImagePosted Image

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Mapantz, what android app is this? I may have the same if I download it Lol

It's weatherpro paid version but I also paid the £3.99 yearly subscription for all the radars etc .. It was worth it for me, I've found it to be the most accurate weather app after trying dozens of them. Posted Image

Forgot to mention, as I purchased a Netatmo station, it also integrates my data with it too. :good:

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

It's weatherpro paid version but I also paid the £3.99 yearly subscription for all the radars etc .. It was worth it for me, I've found it to be the most accurate weather app after trying dozens of them. Posted Image

Forgot to mention, as I purchased a Netatmo station, it also integrates my data with it too. Posted Image

Thanks for that.Posted Image I will take a look at it later. I have a new tablet now and have been browsing all weather apps  and by the sounds of this one it seems very good.Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Seriously can't wait for the convective season to start now. Getting sick of this plain old boring weather. We should at least see a better convective year than last year I'd say!

Hopefully we will see more imports than of latter years. Would love to see a storm as good as good as we got on the night of 22/23rd July 2013, best storm of the last 7 years, not to mention lasting 7 hours through the night.

I think the lightning capital of the UK (East Midlands) will see the usual good activity. The A46 seems a prime corridor for the main convective stuff IMO. Here's hoping to an exceptional convective year, fingers crossed.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Forgot to mention, as I purchased a Netatmo station, it also integrates my data with it too. Posted Image

I must take a look at these. I have the "its gonna storm in yourtown" app...

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

Quite an intense bout of showers with sferics heading past Dorset up into Oxfordshire and perhaps beyond. Could this be an unexpected storm IMBY later on! We shall see!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Squally gusts and heavy downpour (showery type) here (next to Heathrow ap) moving from southwest it seems. A lot more of this overnight, be interesting for some tonight! especially as hail and thunder is possible.

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

2nd day of 2014 and we already have had our 2nd load of hail, not a bad start at all!

• Like 2