Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

20th December 1993: a snowy little gem from 20 years ago

Weather-history

Posted

Remember this well, a little low tracked across the Midlands giving snow on its northern flank across North Wales, southern parts of Northern England and the north Midlands during the evening of the 20th December 1993. I was surprised by it, remembering looking out the window after 5PM to see it snowing and gradually sticking. After two atrocious winters on the trot for snow, it was nice to see something festive within a week of Christmas. We had a snow cover the next morning.

Forecast by Rob McElwee.

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

I will see if I have got this right, correct me if im wrong, this is my recollection of that week.

MONDAY : Cannot remember anything significant.

TUESDAY  :  Heavy rain afternoon turning to massive wet falkes of snow giving an inch accumulation which froze overnight.

WED  : Nothing noteworthy.

THURS : Periodic snow around 8pm to 10pm approx. giving an inch.

XMAS WEEKEND :  V. Cold but not much snow, very hard frosts.

EARLY THE NEXT WEEK : Another Evening accumulation of around 2 inches this time and the expected milder air coming in (forecast 3c the day after the snow ended up as 0c and no melt and a refreeze overnight.

EDIT : I think Staffordshire got 6 inches from the Tuesday before xmas.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted

Nothing here on 20th Dec 1993, apart from a dusting in late Nov 1993 there wasn't lying snow here between Febs 1991 and 1994. I did get 1-2 cm on 5th Jan 1998, but it was very wet and lasted only 24 hours.

Best unexpected snowfall of the 90s here has to be 18-19 Dec 1995, it had rained most of the day and suddenly turned to snow, we got 7cm from that and a further 7-8 on the 20/21st.