Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible severe Atlantic storms over the Christmas period

Coast

Posted

I would have no problem with that at all, May be wet but at least safe for people to travel, unless there's enough cold to the east for snow, which I wouldn't mind either.

Overnight into Boxing day currently holds the most rain potential, again the larger amounts look to be on the South and East coast:

Posted Image

Posted Image

But that clears East through the day:

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

Well according to my UK Weather phone app and the Netweather predictions my region is expected to get gusts in the 55-60mph range on Monday night going into Xmas Eve so could get pretty wild then but then after that things start quieting down somewhat!

Posted

06Z GFS has a 945mb low over Scotland on the 27th. Very stormy.

Posted Image

So it would appear the emphasis for any storms beyond Christmas shifts north again whereas the low pressure on Monday appears to effect the south more.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

06Z GFS has a 945mb low over Scotland on the 27th. Very stormy.

Posted Image

that'll be the one which drags the arctic blast down as it leaves and starts winter proper.!!

Posted

So it would appear the emphasis for any storms beyond Christmas shifts north again whereas the low pressure on Monday appears to effect the south more.

The low is over Scotland but the strong winds would be south of there.

Posted

Jet stream is a good guide:

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

The low is over Scotland but the strong winds would be south of there.

Where do you think the strongest winds will be then?  Because it would have to be a damn massive area of low pressure to effect the far south of England much if the centre is over Scotland, it would need to be about 500 miles in diameter lol. Early indications are that late Monday evening we could see mean winds of 35mph here so I would suspect gusts in the region of 60mph+ are possible based on that but everything thereafter seems to be relatively calm in my neck of the woods, would you consider the North of England and perhaps the Midlands to be at risk from Christmas onwards?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

So much potential over the coming week for some significant storms, Christmas week especially but the detail at this range changes somewhat on each run.

The next wet & windy batch arrives during Friday afternoon into the evening, nothing too severe with gusts 60-65mph perhaps 70mph in a few exposed locations.

post-9615-0-81728200-1387451648_thumb.pn

post-9615-0-27740200-1387451758_thumb.pn Monday potentially very stormy. 

Edited by Liam J

Posted

So much potential over the coming week for some significant storms, Christmas week especially but the detail at this range changes somewhat on each run.

The next wet & windy batch arrives during Friday afternoon into the evening, nothing too severe with gusts 60-65mph perhaps 70mph in a few exposed locations.

Posted Imagegfs19.png

Saturday looks quite windy with widespread inland gales of 45-50mph and heavy rain for most of the day!

Posted

Where do you think the strongest winds will be then?  Because it would have to be a damn massive area of low pressure to effect the far south of England much if the centre is over Scotland, it would need to be about 500 miles in diameter lol. Early indications are that late Monday evening we could see mean winds of 35mph here so I would suspect gusts in the region of 60mph+ are possible based on that but everything thereafter seems to be relatively calm in my neck of the woods, would you consider the North of England and perhaps the Midlands to be at risk from Christmas onwards?

The chart I posted shows the wind gusts. Posted Image Around 60-70 mph in the south, though it would probably be higher in reality. It is a large windfield low, and its tracking from the south, not west to east like most deep lows.

180+ hours away anyway so safe to say that will change!

Edited by radiohead
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Saturday looks quite windy with widespread inland gales of 45-50mph and heavy rain for most of the day!

Indeed. Winds of that strength shouldn't cause too many problems however, then again they are cutting across land. LOADS to keep an eye on! Posted Image

post-9615-0-64207000-1387452078_thumb.pn Maybe even close to 60mph in gusts. 

• Like 1

Posted

Indeed. Winds of that strength shouldn't cause too many problems however, then again they are cutting across land. LOADS to keep an eye on! Posted Image

Posted Imagefs193.png Maybe even close to 60mph in gusts. 

looking at that image you have posted  it to does point towards wind gusts in excess of 60 mph across parts of the midlands  quite noteworthy in these parts.

Posted

The chart I posted shows the wind gusts. Posted Image Around 60-70 mph in the south, though it would probably be higher in reality. It is a large windfield low, and its tracking from the south, not west to east like most deep lows.

180+ hours away anyway so safe to say that will change!

Jeez well in a way I hope the winds don't get much over 70mph because they would have the potential to ruin Christmas but then again being a weather enthusiast part of me want's to experience something really stormy lol. And yes certainly to potential for 55-60mph almost anywhere given exposure on Saturday which in itself is quite rare inland.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Also worth bearing in mind a very wet period during Saturday for much of Southern and Eastern UK after a windy ole Friday. Might need another thread covering that one unless it's already set up somewhere. So much going on as Liam J suggests and some wintry surprises will undoubtedly also turn up unexpectedly for some. Posted Image

Posted

Call me a computer dummy if you will but can anyone tell me how you share the Netweather local 5 forecast charts on the forum?  Because I saw a button at the bottom saying Share but then when I clicked on it as I suspected it gave me a load of options to share it on social media sites like Facebook and Twitter but I couldn't find an obvious option for a screen shot of it to put on here, any suggestions please? lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Call me a computer dummy if you will but can anyone tell me how you share the Netweather local 5 forecast charts on the forum?  Because I saw a button at the bottom saying Share but then when I clicked on it as I suspected it gave me a load of options to share it on social media sites like Facebook and Twitter but I couldn't find an obvious option for a screen shot of it to put on here, any suggestions please? lol

Pass, PM Paul perhaps. I imagine a Ctrl + Print Screen and paste into the appropriate program would work though. Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Pass, PM Paul perhaps. I imagine a Ctrl + Print Screen and paste into the appropriate program would work though. Posted Image

Cheers I'll give that a try.

Posted

Nope still no cigar I'm afraid, when I pressed Ctrl + Print Screen it didn't exactly highlight anything to make it obvious that my instruction had been acknowledged lol Posted Image

Posted

Nope still no cigar I'm afraid, when I pressed Ctrl + Print Screen it didn't exactly highlight anything to make it obvious that my instruction had been acknowledged lol 

That action copies the current screen image and also puts the image into your computers cache - then you need to go into a photo or paint programme and 'paste' the image (right click for the option) into that programme. You can then manipulate the image (trim add text etc) and save it so you can then upload here. :good: 

Back to Christmas weather, latest GFS has knocked back the winds on Christmas and Boxing day but now gives us this when we are on the Turkey Curry or Turkey pie:

Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

That action copies the current screen image and also puts the image into your computers cache - then you need to go into a photo or paint programme and 'paste' the image (right click for the option) into that programme. You can then manipulate the image (trim add text etc) and save it so you can then upload here. Posted Image

Back to Christmas weather, latest GFS has knocked back the winds on Christmas and Boxing day but now gives us this when we are on the Turkey Curry or Turkey pie:

Posted Image

If it's going to be that windy I suspect it'll be the Turkey curry lmao Posted Image

Posted

Netweather models now forecasting mean winds of 36mph with gusts touching 60mph on Monday night for my location and a minimum pressure reading of 982mb, really could get interesting this storm looking for any chances in it's intensity and track!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

Running through the Ensembles and I'd say just about everyone no matter where you are in the UK is going to experience some very windy days on the run up to and beyond XMas.

I'd also say there is growing support for the South Coast to cop it at some point weither just before, on or just after the big day itself. ..just looking at the first 5 runs let alone the other 15...ALL of them have the Southern half of the UK under some very high winds either just before on or just after XMas.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms

Maybe if we all promise to eat at least 5 sprouts with Christmas dinner we can blow this thing back into the North Atlantic? 

The weather should freshen up again ready for the New Year, literally Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

I'd also say there is growing support for the South Coast to cop it at some point either just before, on or just after the big day itself. ..just looking at the first 5 runs let alone the other 15...ALL of them have the Southern half of the UK under some very high winds either just before on or just after XMas.

Posted Image