Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 17th Dec.2013-12z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Model watching is always going to be a painfull process especially if you are looking for your type of synoptics to turn up .but i would say to new members ,Read the posts of some of the regular posters ,pop into the learning area and look at past events in history ,history in meteorology does not always mean things repeat themselves but you can learn fascinating facts and apply it to your learning skills .Well im pretty sure looking at all current data and models that the next 10 days or so will be full of interesting weather and each day giving the Forecasters a new challenge as new features pop up in a very mobile and gradually turning colder weather pattern .BUT cast your mind back to friday the 6th of December ,and as i said last week on that date it was all talk of Euro tripe etc ,I for one had the Euro blues ,but look where we are now ,and where we could be two weeks from now in what is an eternity in forecasting time .Well GFS is in the kitchen cooking up ,and ECM tonight could lets hope be a good one .Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!

Yes interesting weather overnight and tomorrow. Some very heavy rain overnight moving east, cold air digging in behind with frequent snow showers across western Scotland. Then tomorrow some models are picking up on the idea of snow down to fairly low levels (above 100m) for some areas further south.

The Euro4 model (now available on weatheronline.co.uk) highlights a potential area of snow tomorrow evening across from S Wales, the Midlands and Lincolnshire pushing east, possibly settling over higher ground. Snow is possible down to low levels in the heaviest areas of precipitation (pink colours on this map below).

Posted Image

Meanwhile the NAE has the area of rain/snow extending a bit further north:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Cold Winter
  • Like 1

Posted

Better Arctic profile on the GFS 12hrs run, note the area over northern Greenland, also the jet is further south digging into the mid Atlantic. You need the low over the UK as far south before it phases with the low coming out of the ne USA.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 8

Posted

Xmas low pressure digging much further south on 12z, hopefully this could assist snow prospects!

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 4

Posted

Tomorrow looks interesting GFS/NAE bring a pretty intense area of precipitation across  the NW of England and yorkshire,will need watching esp so for elevated routes.

big disagreement with the ukmo4 model then which brings most of the snow across the midlands!!crazy to havr this kind off disagreement within a a short time frame. Well at least the ukmo4 model will be tested properly over the next 24 hours lol.

Posted

Stronger high pressure over Greenland looking like helping lows track further south..

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

12z looks ok on the nh chart at 126 hr mark ie weakening pv and pressure rise towards greenland.The eastern seaboard then fires the pv back up via its devil spawn low yet again!!!Posted Imageplus this euro high is a pain and needs nuking!!!

Edited by swfc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

Hmm didn't really go to plan Nick! :(

http://images.meteociel.fr/im/2327/gfsnh-0-360_jcu0.pngWent to plan perfectly. Did you not see this coming??!!!
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

http://images.meteociel.fr/im/2327/gfsnh-0-360_jcu0.png

Went to plan perfectly. Did you not see this coming??!!!

Posted Image well id put my morgage onthat  being gone on the 18z and i also didnt see it coming !!Posted Image

Edited by swfc
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

the gfs in fi really is a close call we need the part of vortex to shift a little futher west and the other futher east as the gfs is trying to send a ridge into Greenland from the south on the western part of the alantic.

its so close but there could be if fi is right which I will say most likely not because I don't want to hopecast but the models are so close with this development as it stand though is the jet wont allow a futher push into southern Greenland as the part of the vortex in Canada is not allowing this but as nick sussex says the gfs is showing tiny signs of a pattern change.

but that's much later in the outputs.

for the hear and now its looking stormy with some surprises popping up futher west northwest and midlands north could well see something of a wintry nature.

and although there has been the model roller coaster from hell over the last 6 weeks or so there is now something for a lot of coldies can look forward to maybe some will be disappointed I for sure don't expect to see anything but some will which is better than the blow torch sw flow showing several days ago.

it wont last to long but its a start.

we really need to se the jet vortex and lower heights into Europe to play ball for jan but I do think as tamara suggested we might be waiting awhile yet although interesting charts might just keep us watching with an keen eye.

Posted
  • Location: Hebden Bridge (561 ft ASL) A drug town with a tourist problem
  • Location: Hebden Bridge (561 ft ASL) A drug town with a tourist problem

Well it will be interesting to compare the track of the minor feature tomorrow with the predicted NAE and Euro4 tracks as they have a signifigant diference between them. Less shower activity for the coasts shown on Euro4 too i think....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Christmas eve still looking very windy especially in Scotland

Posted ImagePosted Image

Christmas day sees a welcome break from the strongest winds

Posted ImagePosted Image

Before the next low arrives on Boxing day

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Vortex doesn't look so mean and indomitable on this lates GEM chart. Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 4