Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Severe Storm System & Arctic Blast Thursday 5th Onwards

Summer Sun

Posted

Mr Paterson, who chaired a second emergency Cobra committee meeting earlier with ministers and Whitehall officials, says that if emergency teams are needed the armed forces will be available to help.

BBC

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

working in construction industry there's no way that frame should have failed, if I had installed it incorrectly and it failed it wood be me getting the blame not mother nature !! L

Fair enough. Posted Image

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms,Hot `n` sunny!

Posted Image

glad I'm not living in one of those brand new houses with a river view....

Thanks for all the advice peeps,i`m actually on the very southern edge of that flood map (blob in the middle) so i *should* escape anything serious,tho i`ll be ready incase things err towards being worse than forecast.  

Edited by anything-but

Posted

The quicker the surface feature moves through Europe the better, not too sure of its location right now 

post-6667-0-80828500-1386265642_thumb.pn

• Like 3

If someone had told me earlier this week that we would be looking at wind gusts of 142mph and over 40 severe flood warnings today I wouldn't have believed it. It's very rare we have costal flooding events of this magnitude in the UK, so people aren't nearly as prepared as they could be. Not to mention, people may feel safe if there are flood defenses, but not be prepared in the event that they may fail. I'm sure some of them haven't had a test like they will tonight.

High tide is still 4+ hours away in some areas, and the storm seems to still be deepening. Stay safe everyone!

GFS has the storm bottoming out at 957mb over northern Europe tomorrow morning. https://twitter.com/RyanMaue/status/408651667639242752/photo/1

Edited by Sainsbo
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Thanks Coast, judging by the tight isobars across the North Sea (think STORM SURGE) on that chart right there, rightly or wrongly I feel things couldn't get any worse. I hope that doesn't sound alarmist, but if you are in a vulnerable coastal location, you simply have to TAKE ACTION to prevent yourself from being another statistic from this storm. We have a long way to go until the news is OVER on this event. Posted Image My god, I almost sound like that chap on Coast's latest video in the SE thread. Posted Image

My thoughts are with those in the effected areas across the UK and many other regions across Europe. Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

The storm is definitely worse than St judes no doubt.

Edited by pip22
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Winds have now eased considerably but the problem now is with falling temps and ice forming, drivers on A6 Shap road are becoming stranded on frozen roads say Cumbria Police! I forgot all about the cold air flooding south with all the wind action taking place!

Currently 1.8c here.

Edited by Liam J
  • Like 2

Posted

Mr Paterson, who chaired a second emergency Cobra committee meeting earlier with ministers and Whitehall officials, says that if emergency teams are needed the armed forces will be available to help.

BBC

I would expect them to be mobilized given the military were sent out to secure area's in the '53 flood aswell. Any word on how Bergen, Stavanger are holding up? both cities in close proximity to the sea.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

I am very concerned as I have family in Great Yarmouth and down the coast in Lowestoft, though it's my previous home in Yarmouth I most worry about, the entire area is a large floodplain pretty much and this could be simply catastrophic. I hope this ends up like the storm a few years back which ended up nowhere near as bad as it was predicted. Or I might not have much left to return to at Christmas Posted Image

Posted

Winds have now eased considerably but the problem now is with falling temps and ice forming, drivers on A6 Shap road are becoming stranded on frozen roads say Cumbria Police! I forgot all about the cold air flooding south with all the wind action taking place!

Currently 1.8c here.

Yup, falling rapidly here too, snow showers around as well.

So thats, Hurricane force winds, tidal surges to come, flooding, ice, snow, sleet, rain..... Who said the British Weather was boring??

• Like 3

Posted

I am very concerned as I have family in Great Yarmouth and down the coast in Lowestoft, though it's my previous home in Yarmouth I most worry about, the entire area is a large floodplain pretty much and this could be simply catastrophic. I hope this ends up like the storm a few years back which ended up nowhere near as bad as it was predicted. Or I might not have much left to return to at Christmas Posted Image

Ring them CS.  I hope, I am simply just getting caught up in the hype here but forewarned is forearmed as they say. Take care.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

So thats, Hurricane force winds, tidal surges to come, flooding, ice, snow, sleet, rain..... Who said the British Weather was boring??

me because it only happens once every 10 years.

• Like 2

Posted

Maybe this storm will kick the HP cell's backside too, things could change in the near-term in NWP outputs if the models failed to handle this beast properly. Well, maybe, maybe not. Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

I have never ever seen the Tyne burst it's bank in this location like this in my lifetime - a real sight to see!

http://tyneandwear.sky.com/news/article/91963/river-tyne-bursts-banks-as-storm-surge-sees-highest-waters-for

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

All that within 24 hours!! Posted Image

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Ring them CS.  I hope, I am simply just getting caught up in the hype here but forewarned is forearmed as they say. Take care.

Rang them when I got in from work and found out how bad it was going to be. Anything which comes close to the storm surge of 1953 is going to be really bad for the coasts of East Anglia and Kent in particular.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

can we see any live streams off this storm surge?

Posted

Dropped from 5c to 3c in the hour travelling back from work, sleet, hail, raind and snow. Parts of Warrington are flooded from the Mersey too.

BBC news just showed the sea lapping over the sea wall at Cleethorpes.