Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

July 1929 Sussex Squall line & Meteotsunami

JK1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Humid & stormy

Hello, wasn't sure if this will be any interest to anyone but though I'd might post it. I have big interest in weather and tsunamis so personally was very interested when I found out this, I hope it not off topic

"Folkestone (Kent) and Brighton (Sussex), 20 July 1929 — large tsunami-like wave struck the Kent and Sussex coasts, busy with tourists, and drowned two people, at Brighton and Worthing the wave was accompanied by sudden downpours of rain and high winds, but at Folkestone and Hastings, where one person drowned at each, the weather was clear and the unexpected wave was estimated to be c. 3.5 and 6 m high, respectively. Douglas (1929) suggests the wave was caused by a squall-line travelling up the English Channel, coincident with thunderstorms, and so may be referred to as a meteotsunami."

http://www.hadesign.co.uk/worthing_history/history_pages/html/Wish_you_were_not_here.html

http://www.bgs.ac.uk/research/highlights/2011/tsunamiSWEngland2011.html

Edited by JK1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

fascinating, thanks for that.

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold WInters, Hot & Thundery Summers

Thanks for posting, really interesting, I've never heard of that before.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Hello, wasn't sure if this will be any interest to anyone but though I'd might post it. I have big interest in weather and tsunamis so personally was very interested when I found out this, I hope it not off topic

"Folkestone (Kent) and Brighton (Sussex), 20 July 1929 — large tsunami-like wave struck the Kent and Sussex coasts, busy with tourists, and drowned two people, at Brighton and Worthing the wave was accompanied by sudden downpours of rain and high winds, but at Folkestone and Hastings, where one person drowned at each, the weather was clear and the unexpected wave was estimated to be c. 3.5 and 6 m high, respectively. Douglas (1929) suggests the wave was caused by a squall-line travelling up the English Channel, coincident with thunderstorms, and so may be referred to as a meteotsunami."

http://www.hadesign.co.uk/worthing_history/history_pages/html/Wish_you_were_not_here.html

http://www.bgs.ac.uk/research/highlights/2011/tsunamiSWEngland2011.html

6 metres high??? are you sure? it cannot be that high due to winds!!!!

• 2 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Humid & stormy

6 metres high??? are you sure? it cannot be that high due to winds!!!!

the wave weren't caused by winds but by the water being physically displaced by sudden change in air pressure

Edited by JK1